Magic: The Gathering» Forums » Rules

Subject: Priority Question in Magic: The Gathering rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon K.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I have read so much on ruling but I can't find a priority ruling on triggered effects in relation to reslove in combat just that combat stack happens first so heres the situration.

I have three 4/4 trample tokens, one 7/8 trample effect creature, one 18/18 trample creature, one 10/10 trample creature & one 4/4 trample creature.

My 7/8 trample creature has an enchantment forcing all creatures my opponent controls to block it meaning he gets hit for 44 when he only has 20 health.

He has an artifact that once it has 20 tokens he wins the game, worded exactly like that so no upkeep or end of turn needed. He sacrafices two of his creatures assigned as blockers to add the last two tokens he needs AFTER I declared my attack. Now theres no doubt about his creature getting its sacrafice effect from both giving his artifact the last 4 tokens it needs since each creature gives 2.

My question is would he win the game after damage calculation which is at the top of the damage stack or would he get its effect to win the game after damage during the resolution of all other effects? Or would he just out right lose because unless its changed the lose of the player with no health is at the end phase of the turn not combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not familiar with the artifact in question (which is a tiny bit odd.)

The combat step has five parts: First combat begins, and players can play stuff. Then attackers are declared, after which players can play stuff. Then blockers are declared, after which players can play stuff. Then combat damage all happens at once (well, first strike would make two of these steps happen.) Then players get to play stuff before combat is over.

So, with a card like the one you described . . . I'd assume the card is always trying to create a triggered ability off of 'when.' So he has a chance to sacrifice creatures at beginning of combat, after attackers are declared, or after blockers are declared to get that trigger before any combat damage is dealt.

Posting in the Rules forum on mtgsalvation will get more detailed answers, probably (like, from judges, with quoted rulebooks) but they'll make you use card tags so we know what you're talking about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiver...

See the rulings on how Dark Depths triggers, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
So he has a chance to sacrifice creatures at beginning of combat, after attackers are declared, or after blockers are declared to get that trigger before any combat damage is dealt.

I agree that he'd win from the triggered effect of the artifact, and it would happen before combat damage is assigned and dealt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
link me to the card and i can explain this interaction to you.

edit: damage doesn't use the stack.

edit 2: http://magiccards.info/ds/en/114.html

you attack with a giant army
your opponent declares blocks
your opponent then puts twenty charge counters on darkteel reactor
your opponent wins the game

you never entered the resolution of damage step. your damage was never on the stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the General Gaming forum to the Magic: The Gathering Rules forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.