Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is never a bad season when you beat the Dallas Cowboys ("America's Team", my ass) twice. That my New York Giants won the division is just gravy . . .

Tonight's game once again reiterated that Tony Romo will never be an elite QB. Forget stats and all the rest of it. The man literally doesn't know the rules of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as for my gloat, I guess I'm just thinking that even though the Steelers will be on the road, and they just lost their number one running back, and their QB is still limping around, and their free safety may not be able to play due to a medical condition, I'm still utterly unconcerned about their game with Denver. Steelers are a little banged up, but still look awfully strong at 12-4, with, once again, the number one ranked defense in terms of yards and points allowed.

Hey Warren Sapp, how old and slow does that Steelers' D look now? Yeah, that's what I thought. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
Tonight's game once again reiterated that Tony Romo will never be an elite QB. Forget stats and all the rest of it. The man literally doesn't know the rules of the game.

Well, I'm a Giants fan (and very happy that they made the playoffs) and I have no idea what you're talking about. In the first half, with his hand clearly bothering him, Romo still completed most of his passes (with one obvious and costly exception). In the second half, he looked great. When the score was 21-14, I was very fearful--this year, the Giants' defense is perfectly capable of coughing up a 21 point lead. Thankfully, the offense righted itself (helped by the porous Dallas secondary) and it all turned out fine. But I thought Romo had a good game under difficult circumstances. Dallas lost because their secondary and front line sucked, just like it has all year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago the Redskins were 2-14. The only two games they won that entire year were the two against the Cowboys. Redskins fans considered it a successful season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
Tonight's game once again reiterated that Tony Romo will never be an elite QB.

This has been my thought for the past several seasons. He's like a crappy version of Brett Favre. He makes some great plays, but also so many bonehead plays at critical moments that just make you shake your head. It's just that the great plays are so much less frequent than with Brett, so the reward isn't worth all the risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlier this year one of the pundits on the NFL channel actually said Romo was a "lock for the hall of fame". I just about hurt myself laughing but it was an example of how some folks simply want so bad for him to be more than what he actually is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also time to enjoy things out in San Diego. Chargers fans SHOULD be getting late Christmas presents in a new head coach and quite likely a new general manager!

Stuffing the Raiders from the playoffs is a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in KC it looks like the Chiefs found their new head coach in Romeo Crennel.

Looks like there are going to be a lot of open head coach spots to fill soon. Miami, San Diego, St Louis, Jacksonville and maybe Dallas, Indianapolis and Tampa Bay (although I think Morris will survive in Tampa).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Dziuba
United States
Scurry
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a game of smirk face vs dumb face there are no winners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Here in KC it looks like the Chiefs found their new head coach in Romeo Crennel.

Looks like there are going to be a lot of open head coach spots to fill soon. Miami, San Diego, St Louis, Jacksonville and maybe Dallas, Indianapolis and Tampa Bay (although I think Morris will survive in Tampa).

I like Romeo. I hope it works out. As a former Iowan, I always liked the Chiefs. They're the only AFC team I do like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
The Colts played their way to the 1st draft pick . . . and we didn't go winless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Welborn wrote:
The Colts played their way to the 1st draft pick . . . and we didn't go winless.

Congratulations gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
nycavri wrote:

Well, I'm a Giants fan (and very happy that they made the playoffs) and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Mid 2nd quarter. 3rd and long. He throws an illegal forward pass. Fair enough - it happens. But then he turns to the ref and clearly says, "It's still 3rd down, right?"

Sorry, but an elite NFL Quarterback knows the rules, especially regarding passing penalties. I would hope even mid tier QB's know the rules. Maybe even Trent Dilfer . . .

Add to this Romo's insistance on a measurement after failing to convert on 4th and short (the spot may have been generous to the Giants, but from that spot there was *no* reason for a measurement. Challenge the spot? Go for it. But measure?) he's both clueless and classless . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Man, none of you know how to gloat....

Our offense is so good that our back up QB now holds the franchise record for yards and TD passes in a game at 480 yards and 6 TD. That is right, our back up QB put up those numbers against another playoff team.

Just saying...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Larry Welborn wrote:

Congratulations gulp

Hey you take your gloats as you find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
The season did not fair so well for my Raiders, though it wasn't unexpected.

Yet, this was the first year I played Fantasy and did manage to win. I'll spend the off season rubbing that in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
1nf1n1ty wrote:

Yet, this was the first year I played Fantasy and did manage to win. I'll spend the off season rubbing that in.

I hope Jacoby Ford is healthy next year. He is one of my favorite Clemson players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
1nf1n1ty wrote:

You guys should be pleased with an 8-8 record. It's progress, and you got wins outside the division this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
And so, it begins. Raheem Morris and Steve Spagnuolo are already out at Tampa Bay and St. Louis, respectively, along with the Rams' General Manager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
And so, it begins. Raheem Morris and Steve Spagnuolo are already out at Tampa Bay and St. Louis, respectively, along with the Rams' General Manager.

And Spagnuolo moves to Philadelphia to become defensive coordinator (if you believe the rumors)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
Mid 2nd quarter. 3rd and long. He throws an illegal forward pass. Fair enough - it happens. But then he turns to the ref and clearly says, "It's still 3rd down, right?"

Okay, I'd forgotten about the illegal pass. That really wasn't close; he was obviously disoriented, but a QB needs to have more field awareness than that. So yeah, that was bad.

And I didn't see him say anything to the ref. If that's true, that's also bad, but I'm not going to torch him on it. From what I've seen, Romo is both a talented and smart player (I recall the game where he had to position all his offensive teammates, because they didn't know how to line up). I laughed when Donovan McNabb didn't know that ties were possible in overtime, but I still think he was a great player.

Quote:
Add to this Romo's insistance on a measurement after failing to convert on 4th and short (the spot may have been generous to the Giants, but from that spot there was *no* reason for a measurement. Challenge the spot? Go for it. But measure?) he's both clueless and classless . . .

Romo was screaming that the refs didn't give him forward progress and he may have been right. As for demanding a measurement, hey, that's part of the game. You employ every legal move that increases your chances of winning. Maybe it was a pointless request, but it had nothing to do with "class", particularly at such a critical and frustrating time.

If you really want to find chinks in a player's armor, you can almost always find plays during a game that will support your position. But in a game where most of the Dallas players didn't show up, I thought Romo had one of their few good games on Sunday and he did it with a busted up hand. Romo bears some responsibility for his rep, but in many ways he's the Anti-Favre, in that fans and the media focus far more on his occasional failures than on his overall excellent and sometimes brilliant play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I was wrong about Morris surviving in Tampa. He got the ax this morning. The Rams fired not only the head coach but the GM as well.

More heads are sure to roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
nycavri wrote:

Okay, I'd forgotten about the illegal pass. That really wasn't close; he was obviously disoriented, but a QB needs to have more field awareness than that. So yeah, that was bad.

And I didn't see him say anything to the ref. If that's true, that's also bad, but I'm not going to torch him on it. From what I've seen, Romo is both a talented and smart player (I recall the game where he had to position all his offensive teammates, because they didn't know how to line up). I laughed when Donovan McNabb didn't know that ties were possible in overtime, but I still think he was a great player.

Quote:

Romo was screaming that the refs didn't give him forward progress and he may have been right. As for demanding a measurement, hey, that's part of the game. You employ every legal move that increases your chances of winning. Maybe it was a pointless request, but it had nothing to do with "class", particularly at such a critical and frustrating time.

If you really want to find chinks in a player's armor, you can almost always find plays during a game that will support your position. But in a game where most of the Dallas players didn't show up, I thought Romo had one of their few good games on Sunday and he did it with a busted up hand. Romo bears some responsibility for his rep, but in many ways he's the Anti-Favre, in that fans and the media focus far more on his occasional failures than on his overall excellent and sometimes brilliant play.

I can't stand Romo or the Cowboys, but you do make a valid argument here. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our new Team Mottos:

....JUST WIN 50% BABY!.... ]
....Commitment to Mediocrity....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I can't stand Romo or the Cowboys, but you do make a valid argument here. soblue

I disagree. There is no excuse for not knowing the rule.

Compare with Eli a couple of years back, who was flagged for the same penalty - illegal forward pass. He immediately signalled to Coughlin to challenge, which he did. The fans, the commentators, everybody thinks they've both lost their minds - Eli seems to be clearly a foot or two beyond the line of scrimmage. Challenge was upheld, call reversed, and we all learned that a pass is legal if any part of the QB is level with the LoS. Eli knew it, and left a foot behind as he scrambled and threw.

Romo thinks he can throw a forward pass 5 yards past the LoS and get the down back . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.