wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I own the base game and was interested in this expansion simply for the Common & Unique items, Spells, and Monsters and wanted to just add them to the base game. My question is whether anyone has tried this yet and to what success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian van Loenen
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common items, unique items, spells, monsters can be combined for all expansions without any problems (although aquatic monsters from Kingsport while running a basic Arkham game is not thematic). It delutes the occurrences of Elder Sign unique items, but since they are a bit overpowered in my opinion that doesn't matter either.

Integrating Other World and Mythos cards you should only do when you're really using the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Christian's answer, but it's worth noting that the Black Goat monster mix is quite powerful, with its large number of Dark Young. We do use it as part of our Monster Cup every game, but if you are not using several expansions worth of monsters, adding Black Goat will jack up the difficulty significantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaosmagix wrote:
(although aquatic monsters from Kingsport while running a basic Arkham game is not thematic).
Well there are the Aquatic Location tokens that are intended to turn Unvisited Isle and River Docks. These do come with Kingsport after all. I do however struggle a little with Deep Ones from Innsmouth turning up in Arkham. I have contemplated separate monster cups for expansion boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've got a number of expansions, and I've partially integrated a lot of them.

All the Common Items, Unique Items, Spells, Skills, and Allies fully integrated.

All the Arkham Location cards (Arkham Adventure cards) from the expansions are also integrated, as are all the Outlands adventure cards EXCEPT the 3 or 4 duel color "Now you have to suddenly fight a GOO as your adventure" cards because we aren't good enough to deal with that particular level of "You're Screwed" yet.

Additional Specialty cards - things like the advantages, gang memberships, any other small player card that isn't an item, spell, skill, or ally, all go to the side anyway and only get used as needed.

We have permanently FULLY integrated Dark Pharoah, so we always set out the Exhibit Items and the DP Mythos cards are mixed into the stack.

We've SET ASIDE the mythos cards from King in Yellow. They are in the KiY box with the ACT deck, and I don't even bother to keep that box with the other Arkham Horror stuff. I'm sure ONE DAY, we will reach that level where we go "Man this game is too easy, I need another way for the game to kill us" but for now, they make the game just to damn hard for us.

Dunwich - we ALWAYS use the Injury and Madness cards.

The remainder of Dunwich and Innsmouth (board, location cards for those cities, and their mythos cards) are separated out, and we only use them if we decided to use that expansion.

If we play with the Dunwich or Innsmouth board, (or another small expansion besides DP), we make a SEPARATE stack of mythos cards for the expansion, next to the main mythos stack, and alternate. Starting Mythos comes from the main stack, next comes from the expansion, back and forth like that.

On the rare occasions that we use BOTH expansion boards (I don't have kingsport yet) I shuffle dunwich and Innsmouth together, and have a Dun/Inns deck and a core deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
I agree with Christian's answer, but it's worth noting that the Black Goat monster mix is quite powerful, with its large number of Dark Young. We do use it as part of our Monster Cup every game, but if you are not using several expansions worth of monsters, adding Black Goat will jack up the difficulty significantly.

Radulla, I have a question for you: If I did not intergrate the Dark Young and only the Items, Spells, and other monsters do you think it will jack up the difficulty then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno... the Items and Spells might actually make things harder for you. The monsters are pretty specific to this expansion- without the Herald the 'Child of the Goat' is no threat at all (except they count as Cultists so I guess they get the extra abilities from certain AOs). And do you really want 3 extra Dark Young on the board?

The Location and Other World encounters can be used with any expansion, just skip cards that say "join the cult!"... The OW encounters are a great addition to the Base Game, they shake things up and aren't specific to this particular scenario. Same goes for the Mythos cards (mostly)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
harlemsushi wrote:
Radulla wrote:

Radulla, I have a question for you: If I did not intergrate the Dark Young and only the Items, Spells, and other monsters do you think it will jack up the difficulty then?

I would think only very lightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Well there are the Aquatic Location tokens that are intended to turn Unvisited Isle and River Docks. These do come with Kingsport after all. I do however struggle a little with Deep Ones from Innsmouth turning up in Arkham. I have contemplated separate monster cups for expansion boards.

Yeah, do it. It's easy to separate out the orange-bordered aquatic cup for the Innsmouth board only. You can further tweak by fishing (haha) out the skeleton and moon beast for the main monster cup.

I've taken *out* the dark young and Yog-Sothothoth hex creatures for the hex cup, leaving the others behind. The monster cup is STILL painful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
harlemsushi wrote:

Stop worrying and do it. Just wait until you get to the Innmsouth expansion. Muhahaahah. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.