Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: monster movement question! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristen Zimmerman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
hey there...I recently just got this game for christmas and I am uber stoked about it. I set it up and we played through it, but I was confused on the monster movement. When an environment or rumor card is in play for the game, and you draw a new mythos card, the monsters move with the new mythos card, but do they also move with the environment or rumor card as well? at the same time with the new mythos card? help me!

~kristen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They only move according to the symbols on the Mythos Card drawn that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Zimmerman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
hmmm....i just figured they moved as well so the monsters would be moving all around the board and not staying in one place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, dougtempel has it right. You might think that it might make the game harder to have the Monsters always on the move, but you wait until you have a Dhole and a Dark Young sat outside the Location that you desperately want to leave! Mind you, if Green Monsters were to be triggered regularly they'd be the most dangerous element of the game - you'd probably get wiped out just through their effects alone! Stick with moving Monsters with the currently drawn Mythos only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie_ wrote:
hey there...I recently just got this game for christmas and I am uber stoked about it. I set it up and we played through it, but I was confused on the monster movement. When an environment or rumor card is in play for the game, and you draw a new mythos card, the monsters move with the new mythos card, but do they also move with the environment or rumor card as well? at the same time with the new mythos card? help me!

~kristen

Kristen, the way to think about it is if the rules don't specifically tell you to do something, then don't do it. The rules say nothing about using monster movement symbols on Environment or Rumour cards currently in effect. It's the KISS principle.

As you play more games, you'll have lots and lots of questions. One thing that will help to resolve many of them is to "follow the turn sequence" (upkeep, movement, Arkham, Other World, Mythos). This is especially helpful with figuring out when an Investigator has to deal with a monster that's moved/appeared at their location. There are many people who do a great job of answering questions promptly on this forum (mccrispy being one of them). A very useful resource!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Zimmerman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
thanks for the help, i guess i will just play it how it's supposed to be played. I am however getting more excited to play it more often, i'm thinking of starting a one person game and see how that goes. Most likely i will die though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie_ wrote:
thanks for the help, i guess i will just play it how it's supposed to be played. I am however getting more excited to play it more often, i'm thinking of starting a one person game and see how that goes. Most likely i will die though.
No reason that you should - so long as you play with 3 or (preferably) 4 Investigators. A little tricky to manage, but there's plenty of solo players on this forum who swear by 4 Investigator solo play (but not me, I is strikly multi-player as I is a fan of Co-op Games for the social aspect)

Give it a whirl - tell us how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Zimmerman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
i will give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.