Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Okay so I was able to get a few boardgames from my friend in the US who orderd for me two games like Dungeonquest and Formula D. and my birthday came and went and I decided to ask for more games, this time from my mom.

Now I do have a long list of games that I want for the PS3. and so I could have gotten five video games. But if I had went in that direction, I would never have the experience of playing these interesting boardgames. Most of all, I wouldn't been able to buy it here in my country. (The boardgame store here doesn't have a big selection of games) The only thing possible I can buy over here are PS3 games, I can buy them myself like Skyrim, MW3, Battlefield 3 and more. although there are some titles like Red Fraction Armageddon, Shadows of the Dammed, Dead Island (just to name a few) that I cannot find here in stores. If I want it, I would have to order it from amazon or I could have ask my friend to go to Gamestop and pick up a few games for me.

So with that said, is it possible to be having two kinds of gaming back to back - two different kinds of hobbies - or should I have stick to one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
My steam library says: yes

Personally, I use board games for social gaming and video games for when I don't have anyone to board game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
My Magic Card collection and Lego collection tend towards . . . yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely.

Several hobbies makes life more interesting.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely.

Several hobbies makes life more interesting.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Back 9th Feb 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
You certainly can, though I play a lot less videogames now I have boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My god, yes!

Video game when the kids are too young, and board game when they are old enough to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course. When I have a willing (or even a reluctant husband who wants me to be happy) then it's boardgames. When I'm alone which is most of the time it's video games or lego. Your wallet won't love you as much though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real question is can you really tolerate having just two hobbies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett R.
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
^What all of these people have said^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Don't listen to them. They're all 'inside men' working for the Department of Exclusive Hobbies. Before you know it you'll be branching out your hobbies and then BAM!!! you'll find yourself in a 9x9 cell with only a roommate called Alfonso. You have been warned...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can have as many different hobbies as your finances and space will allow. Sometimes even those borders will not hold you back. I really do not have room for more Lego, but it doesn't stop me from buying more sets. When my game shelves were full, I just moved my TV and stuck another shelf in the left over space. My video games are streched across a few different rooms. The great thing about having a variety of hobbies is when that 'I just don't feel like doing this today...' feeling creeps up, you'll always have something else to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
elgin_j wrote:
Don't listen to them. They're all 'inside men' working for the Department of Exclusive Hobbies. Before you know it you'll be branching out your hobbies and then BAM!!! you'll find yourself in a 9x9 cell with only a roommate called Alfonso. You have been warned...

ROFLlaugh. Gosh, I just can't keep a straight face while reading this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregorio Morales
Spain
Alicante
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and play tons of boardgames, and own and flight quite a few RC helicopters... having different hobbies makes it funnier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LegoRick wrote:
You can have as many different hobbies as your finances and space will allow. Sometimes even those borders will not hold you back.
Of course the real limit is time. Whatever time spent on one hobby will not be spent on the others.

The trick is to balance the money spent on each, with the time spent. The money doesn't have to be proportional to the time spent or anything like that. Just so you don't end up spending money on things that won't really get much attention. This can be a problem as interest in one hobby is gradually replaced by another. Experience has led you to the really cool marketplaces for the waning hobby, but really you will be spending less and less time on it.

But don't let that stop you - just be mindful of what you really want to do! Remember, I'm the one who suggested that you should expect to be seriously involved in well more than just two hobbies. Just remember that if you have perhaps five hobbies going at once, you can expect that one will fade out each year or so and be replaced by another new interest. That is fine as long as you are doing what you want, rather than just whatever happens to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you can have multiple hobbies. It's all about time and money management!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tash
England
flag msg tools
As long as you have the time and money, it shouldn't be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Yggdrasil
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NO you must choose only one! Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure why not, I'm active on all three domains of the geek, I have about 150 boardgames, 75 RPG items and a little more then 100 videogames. I play all three of them. Next to that I'm an Archer. So just go for it, but indeed it's all about time and money you have available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is: Why stop at two?

If I had the time, I would like to pick up several more hobbies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Sure why not, I'm active on all three domains of the geek, I have about 150 boardgames, 75 RPG items and a little more then 100 videogames. I play all three of them. Next to that I'm an Archer. So just go for it, but indeed it's all about time and money you have available.

By Reading your comment and Ted's comment, I learned it's all about money and what I should spend it on. Well I am on a tight budget - low on money - and I got these boardgames I mentioned especially around my birthday as gifts from friends and family

Now after I read the comments, I felt that I should have ask for getting more games for my PS3 library but Instead I wanted some boardgames that I saw and liked so much from BGG.

However, some of these boardgames seems rather complex and hard to comprehend ever since I once asked to get World of Warcraft; The adventure game last year. Since then, I thought never again will I buy another boardgame. But then I saw these great good looking boardgames and then comes the philosophy. Games that look good on the outside can be hard on the inside. I should had considered that before making my decision.

Now that 2012 is here I'll be adding more PS3 games to my list, and not being able to buy them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There can be only one!

No seriously. I got too many hobbies for the time and money I do have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
By Reading your comment and Ted's comment, I learned it's all about money and what I should spend it on. Well I am on a tight budget - low on money - and I got these boardgames I mentioned especially around my birthday as gifts from friends and family

Now after I read the comments, I felt that I should have ask for getting more games for my PS3 library but Instead I wanted some boardgames that I saw and liked so much from BGG.

...However, some of these boardgames seems rather complex and hard to comprehend ... Games that look good on the outside can be hard on the inside. I should had considered that before making my decision.

Really my comment wasn't that it is all about the money. The real limit is time, and my point was to try to keep the money on target to match where you want to spend your time.

But a tight budget is real too. Lucky for you, if money is your limitation, that means that time isn't! So you have time to spend figuring out the boardgames you received as gifts.

So no need to regret asking for the games you got.

Figuring out a new game can be hard, but is achievable. Also, many games aren't really that complicated, the rules are just poorly written, so don't feel bad if you find them confusing. Read through the rules questions, reviews, and session reports here on BGG for a game, and look to see if any rule summary files have been submitted too. These can be a great help in learning a complex game. If you don't find the answer to a specific question, then ask in the rules forum for that game! Trying a game out solo (playing the roles of several players) is a great learning tool, so you can get the details clear in your head before trying to play with other people. Then go back and review the discussions here again, once you have tried the game, to see what you missed the first time around.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fazeo Faz
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have multiple hobbies including boardgames, video games, books, film, music, and what not. As others have said the only real limits to enjoying your hobbies is time and money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.