Merchants & Marauders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Drawing captain card, choosing Ship, revealing Captain? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the set up phase of the game, you deal one captain card to each payer face down, chose a ship and then reveal the captain, Do the players get to look at their own captain card before revealing? The captain drawn would quite often influence what shiptype is chosen?

Rules are unclear, or atleast I have not found any clarification yet. Anyone know?

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
You chose your ship after seeing the captian you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Block
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can and should look at your captain card before choosing a shiptype.
We usually even give out two captain cards per player so everyone has a small choice. As you say, the different captains might change the kind of ship you choose and also your gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks, cause I couldnt find anything in the rules about beeing allowed to look before revealing.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually disregard any rule about how you pick characters. In my group, we always prefer to draw two or three and then chose one, regardless of what the rules say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cizak wrote:
I usually disregard any rule about how you pick characters. In my group, we always prefer to draw two or three and then chose one, regardless of what the rules say.

Ye, Im not too worried about it, its easy enough to basically do as you want. Was just wondering of there was an "official" ruling on it since the rules as written werent entirely clear to me. No worries though, just a small thing and not hugely important. I was mostly curious.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Parness
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play you get three captain cards to choose from. It usually gives you a nice choice!

And after all, some nights you feel like being a Merchant while some nights you are in the mood to do some maraudering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
drjammy wrote:
We play you get three captain cards to choose from. It usually gives you a nice choice!

And after all, some nights you feel like being a Merchant while some nights you are in the mood to do some maraudering.

We've always handed out two Captain Cards, but I like that idea. I'll have to steal it next time we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, somewhat arbitrary, but we hand out three captains at the start of the game, but during the game if you have to select again you only get 2 to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.