4 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Our 4 Player "Fix" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Johnston

California
msg tools
I recently got Game of Thrones for Christmas and the other day we managed a four-player game. With rules introduction it took in total about 4 hours, and we played around 7 turns. Two of us were veterans of 1st edition and two were new players. Reading up beforehand I was concerned about the Baratheon advantage. So our solution was to use the 3-Player markers for Dorne, thus rendering the 4 Dornish territories (Sunspear, Yronwood, Saltshore and Starfall) impassable and denying Baratheon 2 castles.

In the end Baratheon did win with 7 cities (Dragonstone, the Reach, Storm's End, Crackclaw, Harrenhall, King's Landing and White Harbour). However this was I believe more due to the Greyjoy backstab of me (Lannister) preventing me from containing the yellow forces, an inexperienced passive Stark and Baratheon being one of the two veterans. Still I think this is a decent fix, it prevents Baratheon grabbing two cities for free effectively and focus the battle in the middle. We also added a neutral strength of 3 to Highgarden.

Any thoughts on this? Seems like an easy and simple way of eroding (at least to an extent) the Baratheon edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this fix. Why a neutral in highgarden? Usually I see Lannister grabbing highgarden, not baratheon.

I think the problem is only partially that the neutrals are so easy to get, the other issue is that in a four player game stark, greyjoy, and lannister all begin in conflict, or one space away from conflict, while baratheon is totally alone over there.

Any fix needs to either slow down baratheon's consumption of the southern neutrals without doing anything to discourage Lannister or Stark from heading towards Baratheon territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serrangel Beta
msg tools
I have used another variant very similar to this one, but including the change of playable houses of the Greyjoy player the Highgarten, making Pike unable to the game. With this you balance the game in south: HIghgarten vs. Baratheon and in north Stark vs. Lannister.

With this variant every House has 3-4 castles "easy" and the rest must be taken by force and battle.

In sum, Martell zone and Pike are out of game, and the game takes place between Highgarte, Lannister, Stark and Baratheon.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some of the veterans opinion on the sea in the south. Will it make Baratheon or Greyjoy/Lannister naval operation in the south not payoff, too far to go for to little.

I mean the East Summer Sea would be very weak as it only gives access to Storms End and meaning Baratheon would have to stretch far for Tyrell homelands.

If so would it be able to unite some of the south sea areas or something to make it more interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.