Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
So, as it happens, I have a gashapon of Bowser that just happens to be the perfect size to be an SDE boss; naturally my thoughts turned to statting him out so we could use him in a game.

After some tinkering, I think I've got it down; but I'd like to run it past anyone's seeing eyes to note if they've got any problems - and maybe get some ideas for the final Treasure card.

Bowser

ATTACK 1 green 1 red 1 blue
Armor 1 green 2 red 1 static
Will 3 red
Dex 3 blue

Move 5 AP 4 Wound 8 Skull 4 SUPER

Immune: Knockdown Backlash

KINGLY ROAR: Special Action 1 Cone 3 Push 3

FLAMEBALL: Special Attack 1 Magic 8 Hookshot Fire

DUNGEON EFFECTS

SPIKY SHELL: All spawn points gain +1 static Armor and Backlash.

All heroes gain the following potion type:

LEAPING LIBATION: + 1 blue Armor, Fly

BOSS FIGHT EFFECTS
QUAKE: When Bowser enters play place a Knockdown token on every Hero.

GREAT LEADER: All minions and denizens gain Mob with any other minion or denizen.

TIMEOUT EFFECTS

MEGASTOMP: All heroes adjacent to Bowser suffer Knockdown.

SUMMON:

1 Dlime (A King Slime, basically)
2 Climes (Cure Slimes)
2 Glimes (Bubble Slimes)

TREASURES

Seeker Shell
+1 red Attack Line 5 Knockdown

Smash Hammer
+1 green Attack, Reach 2

Star Broach
+1 green Armor, Backlash

Fire Flower
+1 red Will, Special Attack 1: Magic 8, Fire

I pretty much tossed the Slimes in there because I've finished making the minis and I've been testing the rules (and what other minis are there to put in with him for now?).

As befits the spiky turtle, his focus is defense. His Dungeon Effect buffs the spawn points with Backlash, he himself has Backlash, he knocks back heroes to spit fire at them. Knockdown is also defensive, and is representative of his powers too.

Secondarily, Bowser is supposed to be a great leader, represented by his Will (also used in his fire breath) and granting Mob to any minions and denizens.

On the Hero side, Leaping Libation is straight from Mario, as are the four items I've gotten down so far. I need one more, though,,, any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Mushroom
+1 Heart, +1 Action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Standen
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Duke say "play games"
mbmbmbmbmb
iamfanboy wrote:

Bowser
Immune: Knockdown Backlash

Totally not immune from Knockdown, thematically. How about adding a special action for getting up from Knockdown and doing some damage?

e.g.

Special Att: 1 AP, Bowser no-longer suffers from knockdown, Cross 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
I think I'll just take off the Immune: Knockdown and leave it at that - Backlash is a seriously powerful ability, even if you only apply it to melee attacks (as I do in my games), and it makes sense as his only ability.

But last night I realized Starfire includes SIX cards! Meaning that even if I take the Super Mushroom idea (which I did!), I'm still short one! So it left me scrabbling for ideas... and I came up with two.

1-UP POUCH
Place two tokens on the 1-Up Pouch. At the start of a round, ONE token may be removed to use Resurrect on a dead Hero. Once all tokens are gone, discard 1-Up Pouch.

TANOOKI LEAF
+1 red Dex
Fly
Special Action 1: Sturdy

I like the idea of the 1-Up Pouch as the sort of 'super-powered' Res Charm (and considering the luck of a couple of my players I may just give it to 'em for free!), but the Tanooki Leaf also appeals. Darn; I may have to take off another item, maybe the Hammer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.