G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Don't play in the street....
mbmbmbmbmb
It all started with a simple discussion with a good gaming buddy of mine in Sydney, Ms Cedar Myna. We were chatting about 'must have' games - (mainly in the context of having limited gaming shelf space I must add!) and I flipped the subject to the traditional question of what games would you keep if you had to rescue a handful from your house. She then converted it to the classic 'what would you take if you were stranded on a desert island' scenario, which I was happy to accommodate. A few games were discussed, then she mentioned a game called 'Set'.

Hmmmmm I thought, a game with such a short title that is catchy, yet I have never heard of this game. I was intrigued. She pulled it down from the shelf, stating that it was highly likely she would kick my a** for the first few games. She was correct!

There is no need in my mind for this to be a long review. Simply put this is an awesome game. You are trying to make sets of three cards out of a selection of 12 cards on the table.

RULES

* Cards have four characteristics - shape, number of shapes, colour and opacity.

* Any set of three you nominate must have for each of the four characteristics either (a) all the same or (b) all different.

* If there is no set present, additional cards are dealt so a set can be made

* Person with the most sets wins.

* You can play this solo or competitively

Why I like this game:

* I like this game because it is somewhat of a brain trainer, and I see it as potentially good to use with my children.

* I like this game because it is fast and can be played solo.

* I like this game because with the right opponents it can be quite funny

This is one of the shortest reviews I have ever written, because this game is so simple and so awesome that every gamer should have a copy. Simple as that.

I just can't believe this game was made in 1988!!! Where have you been Set, I have never seen or heard of you until now, but at least my copy is now on its way and my iPad screen has taken a hammering thanks to your virtual purchase.

To me as a real gaming geek, this felt like discovering a game like Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit by accident, I can only imagine how many more of these there are out there in the BGG database...can't wait to find more like this one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Set is a great game. I've had it since ABOUT 1988 But I guess that's the kind of game one plays to pass the time if one was home-schooled...

Nice review, I'll let you know if there are any other games that I think you might enjoy along similar lines!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look inside here to find out more ways to have fun with your new find..
Deck of many Games or What games to play with a "SET" Deck
KG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an easy game to take camping with you; it's quick, easy too learn; people can jump in & out at any time; and it can be quite intense. I enjoy it quite a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game! Quiddler is from the same company. If you dig word games at all it is a really fine one. Xactika and Five Crowns never did much for me however, nor did the various and sundry offshoots of set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is a great game for children, and they'll kick your ass, too. I don't know what it is about the very young person's mind, but they just see sets and process faster than we do. Once they get the hang of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigeeh wrote:
This is an easy game to take camping with you; it's quick, easy too learn; people can jump in & out at any time; and it can be quite intense. I enjoy it quite a lot.
I love this. It's an indictment on my social gaming etiquette, but on more than one occasion I've entered a game halfway through - unannounced - and won it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.