Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Jonas
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone! I just bought the core game and Secrets of Arkham and I'm looking forward to trying it out with some friends. I'd like to get some really solid Hastur faction cards, as Hastur has always been my favorite GOO. Which asylum packs should I get after the two main expansions? Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert, but I'll see what I can do to help...

First, you'll probably get the best responses posting on the Call of Cthulhu forums rather than BGG: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_temas.asp?efid=...

Mono-faction decks (with a few exceptions) tend to have a harder time than mixed-faction decks. With Hastur in particular you can run into trouble if you try to be too "thematic" and base your deck heavily around making stuff go insane. Problem is - not everything CAN go insane, how will you handle an opposing deck with its own monsters w/ Terror icons? Mixing in some cards from another faction that's better at combat can help. Giving up some insanity for some other aspect of the Hastur faction (for instance - taking control of enemy characters) can also help and might be a good route to investigate if you really want to stay mono-faction.

I was messing with a mono-Hastur deck a bit a couple of months ago, and I definitely ran into trouble with opposing Terror being immune to my own (of course you can argue they had the same problem - but I'd invested more in that strategy). So what I did was put in more cards that let me take control of things, mostly those that did NOT require the subject to be insane first.

If you want just the shortest possible answer, get Antediluvean Dreams for the Infernal Obsession card. Other useful cards (IMHO) include Bringer of Fire, Harbinger of Insanity (provided you pack enough Cultists), anything that removes characters from stories (don't remember specific cards here), and anything that gives you some combat.

I'll have to see if I can find a deck listing when I get off work, I don't have it with me now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns out it was a mixed Hastur/Yog deck I was thinking of. I do not have a mono-Hastur right now. I should note that I only have 2 Core sets currently, if I had 3 I might put in extra copies of some cards at the expense of others.

Hastur
2xAspiring Artist (quick-start card)
2xObsessive Sycophant (help re-ready other characters)
3xDangerous Inmate (fight or drive enemies insane)
2xDemon Lover (reduce skill, more susceptible to other effects)
3xBringer of Fire (destroy nearly any character)
2xHarbinger of Insanity (take control of stuff)
2xBlind Submission (take control of stuff)
2xByakhee Attack (reduce enemy hand)
3xPolar Mirage (take control of stuff)
2xAgoraphobia (Return to hand, helps with Willpower)
2xInfernal Obsession (take control of stuff)

Yog
2xBlood Magician (versatile guy)
2xDisciple of the Gate (good combat, Cultist)
2xFaceless Abductor (kidnap stuff)
2xSon of Yeb (another fighter/Cultist)
3xBloodthirsty Zealot (fighter/Cultist)
3xHermetic Scholar (solid character, set up discard)
2xTcho-Tcho Tribe (very tough solo defender)
2xJourney to the Other Side (fish for good cards)
3xCasting off the Skin (nasty story surprise)
1xForbidden Shrine (kind of optional here, but help w/ skill)
3xLethargic Miasma (great card against guys that can't go Insane)

Neutral
2xTattoo Parlor (because I have a lot of Cultists)

I wouldn't say it's a tournament caliber deck, but it's worked pretty well for me locally and you can tweak it from here.

As you can see I'm putting a strong emphasis on taking control of characters and some bouncing characters back to the hand. Lots of Cultists which can get Arcane, fuel the Harbinger, or just put up some fight in the Combat struggle. There's some insanity going on too, and when I run up against things that can't go insane I just kidnap, control, or Miasma to deal with them. This is the situation I found mono-Yog to sometimes have trouble with - too many enemy characters with Terror or Willpower, but this deck can deal with them reasonably well. Also note that insane or back-to-hand characters lose their attachments so it gives me some way to deal with that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've looked at creating a strong Hastur deck with some insanity thrown in as well, since it's one of my favorite factions. At the moment, I'm waiting for FFG to reprint the Dreamlands cycle, since it has The Enchanted Wood, a very useful card when your focus is making your opponent's characters go insane. Another neutral card worth looking at in this case is Granny Orne, from Kingsport Dreams.

Some other good choices for asylum packs are from the Yuggoth Contract, namely Whispers in the Dark has Crazed Arsonist and Screams from Within has Dangerous Inmate.

Another good card I really like is Bloated Leng spider from Initiations of the Favored from the Rituals cycle, but it doesn't fit every deck.

Lastly, Ancient Horrors is pretty much a must have since it gives you both the Aspiring Artist as well as the Bringer of Fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jonas
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
btw, just picked up the new Into Tartarus pack and if you dig taking control over other people's characters w/ Hastur there's another great card in there for that - Stygian Eye. I'll have to figure out how to make room for it in my deck sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jonas
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where would be a good place to look for beginners trying to figure out the differences between factions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at the earlier thread here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/620558/need-a-breakdown-of-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jonas
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Shub-Niggurath and Hastur make a good combo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think so. Shub can provide some decent combat characters that can get out in a hurry (they've got great character acceleration). Probably any faction with decent combat would be a good pairing. So maybe not Hastur/Miskatonic, but almost anyone else. If you're new to the game I'd probably hold off on Hastur/Silver Twilight as well. Not only do you probably not have the cards, but they seem to be tricky to learn.

Syndicate doesn't have that good combat either, but I think it can still work because they're so good at avoiding combat by exhausting enemy characters or removing them from the stories. It'd be an interesting combination to try out, high on control, I might have to make that my next project.

I think the most straightforward would be Hastur/Agency or Hastur/Cthulhu (the two factions with the most face-beating stuff), with Hastur/Yog and Hastur/Shub the second tier most straightforward to use. Hastur/Syndicate should be able to work as a control sort of deck, although I haven't tried it, and Hastur/Miskatonic being probably the hardest to pull off. Not sure where to rank Silver Twilight, like I said they're a bit odd to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.