Popular Tags: [View All]
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have experience with the giant/jumbo chess sets?

I have been thinking of making a Yard Chess set out of plywood or styrofoam or wood panel pieces and patio blocks for the board, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this sort of thing before I set out on a project like this.

Thanks!meeple

Side note...why aren't there any Chess Emoticons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Coldwarrior1984 wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the giant/jumbo chess sets?

I have been thinking of making a Yard Chess set out of plywood or styrofoam or wood panel pieces and patio blocks for the board, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this sort of thing before I set out on a project like this.

Thanks!meeple

Side note...why aren't there any Chess Emoticons?

I always thought that a set of chainsaw art for pieces would be awesome.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that they would look really cool and not be blown around, but they might be a bit heavy to pick up and move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
Coldwarrior1984 wrote:
I agree that they would look really cool and not be blown around, but they might be a bit heavy to pick up and move.
Hi George, my friend Dave alerted me to your post. I'm a chainsaw artist and could carve a chess set. Depending on the size and type of wood, they could easily be moved around. Pieces in the 2' tall size range weigh about 20 lbs. if carved from pine, the most common type I use. Easy enough to move around.

My website is chainsaw-creations.com if you would like to see the type of work I'm capable of. If you're interested, feel free to contact me.

Barry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! You do amazing work. That castle was really impressive. I don't have huge amounts of money for this project, though. That is one of the reasons I am considering making the pieces out of packing foam (unless I can get a hold of some scrap plywood). I think I will be able to get that for free from a furniture store. Two cans of spraypaint for the colors will cost about $8. Pavers go for about $1.90 each and I will need 64 (or maybe just 32 and leave the other checks as sod), so I may end up either making my own or using different colored gravel.

Just out of curiousity, how much would a 2' chainsaw sculpt go for?meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey George, thanks! Yeh, this isn't something I could do for someone on a small budget. A typical 2' piece goes for $150-$250.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging from the pictures, it would be worth it.meeple

"Dear God, you made many, many poor people.
I realize, of course, that it's no shame to be poor.
But it's no great honor either!
So, what would have been so terrible if I had a small fortune?"

If I were a rich man,
Yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man.
I wouldn't have to work hard.
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
If I were a biddy biddy rich,
Idle-diddle-daidle-daidle man.

I'd build a big CHESS SET with GIANT PIECES...whistlelaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.