Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aram Schvey
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two questions about the private company purchase for the 1830 reprint base game.

First, a typo question:

On page 8 of the rules for the new Mayfair 1830 version, it lists the cost of various groups of private companies (for the base game -- I realize there's a more complicated "waterfall" auction for 1830 classic). For 3 players, it lists the total cost of SV and BO as $260. Am I correct in assuming that this is a typo, since SV costs 20 and BO costs 220? (i.e., that it should cost $240)?

Second, a preference question:

I've never played 1830, nor have any of the other folks I'll be playing with shortly. My intention was to use the private company sale outlined in the 1830 reprint base game rather than the more complicated and nuanced version in 1830 classic. It seems like the 1830 classic method is best for people who have a clearer sense of the values of the various privates (i.e., who have played before). Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I would assume that's a typo too since all the other lots shown for all other player counts use the base prices of privates.

I think the base game rules are a good place to start for private sales. Especially if all of you are new to the game. You might choose to use the classic rules for bankruptcy however -- that adds a bit of threat to the game. It also seems that if someone goes into receivership, they're going to be so far in the back you might as well quit and start over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
aschvey wrote:
...I realize there's a more complicated "waterfall" auction for 1830 classic...

It is often called a reservation auction. It really isn't that hard and I wouldn't avoid it.

Quote:
I've never played 1830, nor have any of the other folks I'll be playing with shortly. My intention was to use the private company sale outlined in the 1830 reprint base game rather than the more complicated and nuanced version in 1830 classic.

I recommend playing the private auction as written.

Quote:
It seems like the 1830 classic method is best for people who have a clearer sense of the values of the various privates (i.e., who have played before).

While the values of the various private companies vary greatly based on player skill, the following is fairly reasonable set of starting values for them. After a few games you should start to see that the larger privates are in fact worth even more over face value:

Base 3 4 5 6
Schuylkill Valley $20 $20 $20 $20 $20
Champlain & St. Lawrence $40 $45-$50 $40-$45 $40-$45 $40-$45
Delaware & Hudson $70 $80-$90 $75-$85 $75-$80 $70-$75
Mohawk & Hudson $110 $115-$135 $115-$135 $115-$130 $110-$120
Camden & Amboy $160 $210-$240 $199-$220 $185-$205 $170-$190
Baltimore & Ohio $220 $220 $220 $220 $220
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.