7 Posts

Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » Variants

Subject: Making Dungeon Bosses more resilient to status effects... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Rice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen some concerns about how certain status effects can basically cripple Starfire for multiple turns and came up with this idea as a fix:

All dungeon bosses have the Shake it off! ability

Shake it off!: Status effects on this character only last until the end of their next activation.

I wanted to get through that dungeon bosses are way tougher than regular creatures, but also let statuses effect them if they can get through. I haven't playtested this yet (just got the game) but it feels good to me.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeh... im more in the "status effects are fine" boat.

I think the issue is that they are super powerful in their "all or nothing" aspect, but there was one game where for the life of them the Heroes could not land a status effect and it was to the point that I felt like I was mowing them over.

I guess if you were in a group that felt that status effect were way overpowered, AT LEAST make it a "chance on roll" based ability... and maybe even cost an action to try, but again I feel like they are just fine at least in our playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of 10+ games we've only seen the heroes win 2. No, let's not make the big baddie at the end even more powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Rice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't realized from what I read. It seemed like it was a problem. Like I said, I just got the game. I acquiesce to those more knowledgeable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't mean to sound short when I commented.

Yea, the baddies are pretty tough on their own. The time-out makes it very difficult to surround Star Fire no to mention the fact you keep catching on fire yourself. You'll find a good DM will not lose very often.

The only time as DM that I lost was when I defeated all but 1 hero. The last hero had a defensive armor that when he rolled more stars on defense than I do on attack, that I take damage. He had 2 life, I had 3. We rolled 4 times and I lost 3 out of the 4 rolls while attacking. It was just luck on his part really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halgrim Padfoot
msg tools
mb
During a recent match my group has come across the problem of Starfire being rendered useless by status effects. So, just so you know, it is a legitimate concern.

The party of 5 contained a sorceress and Candy&Cola. This meant that they had a lot of potions and status effects, but not much killing potential. However, they could not be swarmed/mobbed into oblivion in the early rounds because they had a paladin to whom they constantly funnelled potions.

If there was no Starfire and the spawn points never stopped disgorging monsters, the party would have been wiped easily by the 4th/5th round. Indeed, before Starfire arrived, literally every other monster was on the tile adjacent to the heroes, either pummelling the paladin or getting ready to charge the rest of the heroes. Unfortunately, as soon as Starfire spawned, the game was effectively won by the heroes.

Why? The sorceress (with a +1g to WILL) weakened Starfire every turn, making his ATT a measily 2r+1w. Even though he activated twice per turn (3 spawners still alive), the heroes simply weren't scared of his attack, and now that the spawners were disabled, they weren't scared of the monsters either. What followed was a 3 round battle of attrition, with the numbers heavily stacked in the heroes' favour.

As soon as Starfire spawned, the game took a turn for the booooring, both for the heroes and the consul. That's why we are currently playtesting house rules in the vein of ImhotepMagi's. The last thing we want is for the heroes to WANT to accelerate the power gauge because Starfire somehow makes the game easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.