Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In our third play of Urban Sprawl last night, we used cubes on the VP track to keep track of each player's Wealth rather than the paper money. It worked really well, and, barring objections by other players, I plan to play that way for all subsequent games of Urban Sprawl.

There are two benefits: Less shuffling of paper, and everyone's money total is easily visible to all.

Players do need to be careful not to move the Prestige marker when they intend to move the Wealth, but in our game all the players were engaged enough that this wasn't an issue.

This idea was originally mentioned by
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
deep in the comments following a review (here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7975936#7975936), but I thought I'd give it its own thread. Thanks for the idea, Steve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We used poker chips. The paper money was too fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Cricket
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
WonderCinz wrote:
In our third play of Urban Sprawl last night, we used cubes on the VP track to keep track of each player's Wealth rather than the paper money. It worked really well

I did the same (actually using plastic counters rather than cubes) in a 2-player game I played yesterday. It was a success. I also used cubes to put on the politicians and vocations to show who they belonged to. This was OK except that I ran out of cubes. I guess this problem wouldn't arise in a 3- or 4-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:

Same here. Poker chips make the frequent cash adjustments a breeze, and everyone's money is easily visible.

I imagine it would be extremely frustrating to play this game with the paper money that's included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glamorous Mucus wrote:

I imagine it would be extremely frustrating to play this game with the paper money that's included.

Then your imagination is playing tricks on you because it's not frustrating at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WonderCinz wrote:
Thanks for the idea, Steve.

Glad things worked out for you, Aaron - actually one of the members (David Siskin) at our last session actually proposed the idea to us, and I believe Chad mentioned that they also used the idea in playtesting.

You're right, everyone has to be careful not to move the Prestige marker by accident - just like when calculating values, other players at the table really need to be paying attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Glamorous Mucus wrote:
Toadkillerdog wrote:

Same here. Poker chips make the frequent cash adjustments a breeze, and everyone's money is easily visible.

I use poker chips in many other games, but the number of small transactions in this game made the cube option even more effective than poker chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if I recall correctly one of the pre-final boards of this game used an income track on the board. Not sure why they decided to go with paper money.. which is the yuck. We use poker chips as well... as we do with most games that have money in them.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice discussion. :-) Any possibility to turn this into a vote?
Which type of money is preferred?

- paper money: it's maybe fiddly but has some style.
- poker chips: heavy and nice at the touch. (you can pet it like some rodent)
- abstract listing: dry but efficient
- pinched-carton money: small and even more fiddly. (like in deadwood for example)

And whatever wins obliges the game-designers to never use anything else anymore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The paper money doesn't bother me. In the rules, I believe, you do not need to disclose your exact amount of cash but it has to be visible on the table. Also, the paper money is of excellent quality.

Anyways, not what I wanted to add. I added eight poker chips, six white and two black (for the union boss) to track actions along with the player turn card. That has been a nice addition for us (yeah, we can see it with which cards are missing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to get my bits out of Billionaire, which had $ pawns and use those. I fear they will be too large though.

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
I want to get my bits out of Billionaire, which had $ pawns and use those. I fear they will be too large though.

cry

Wow! Billionaire. I haven't played that since I was a kid. I wonder if it's still somewhere in my parents' house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker chips are the best option for money in any game IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played Urban Sprawl? I assure you, sliding a cube one space is going to be faster and easier for everyone involved than actually dealing with the exchange of chips.

Though in eneral, I tend to agree with you, just not in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Have you played Urban Sprawl? I assure you, sliding a cube one space is going to be faster and easier for everyone involved than actually dealing with the exchange of chips.

Though in eneral, I tend to agree with you, just not in this case.

Nope... I prefer chips for Urban Sprawl as well. Different strokes I guess.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WonderCinz wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

cry

Wow! Billionaire. I haven't played that since I was a kid. I wonder if it's still somewhere in my parents' house.

Run upstairs and check the closets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.