Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that the use of the dummy player would allow you to solo any scenario capable of being played by two players. Is that right?

BTW, this game is really great solo. What an intriguing and fun system! I can't see soloing Runebound any more with this now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to page 17 of the "main" rulebook, under "Other Solo Missions", one may play any of the missions solo using the dummy player rules and setup similar to the "Solo Conquest" mission.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I would also be curious if anyone has tried any of the other scenarios solo, such as the mines one. I know the rulebook says that, but I wonder about the pacing and timing with one person as opposed to multiples.

I'm with you about Runebound. I love Runebound and get it out to play every once in a while but this game is just so much deeper and downright exciting. I'll still play Runebound with my wife though, I think this game would be a bit too heavy for her liking.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine that One to Return would be very interesting with just one player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freudianslip27 wrote:
Yes, I would also be curious if anyone has tried any of the other scenarios solo, such as the mines one. I know the rulebook says that, but I wonder about the pacing and timing with one person as opposed to multiples.

I'm with you about Runebound. I love Runebound and get it out to play every once in a while but this game is just so much deeper and downright exciting. I'll still play Runebound with my wife though, I think this game would be a bit too heavy for her liking.

Matt

Yes, I think Runebound is more accessible and less prone to AP. So it will have a place with the wife and kids, but Mage Knight is really something special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Mines Liberation solo once. I used seven countryside tiles, the red city tile, and one non-city core tile.

I was not able to liberate all mines before the second night. I didn't spend much time doing anything other than liberating mines.

Next time I will not use the reputation gain for liberating a mine. I felt there was far too much free reputation in my game. Maybe I should have used that reputation to gain more abilities and more units, but I don't feel there is any time to spare using the default time limit. But again, I have only tried it once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the full co-op and full pvp missions you should be able to play everything solo. However, it might need the occasional tweak tile- or time-wise. Once you're more of a veteran it might be possible to do the mine mission (for example) in the original time limit, but especially for rather new players I see the rounds being too few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I've played Solo Mines Liberation twice, and I think it's a 6 round game. I just don't think there's enough time to liberate all the mines in 4 rounds. I was able to complete Dungeon Lords in 5 rounds, though. I wouldn't take out the Reputation gain from Mines Liberation - the inability to pick up crystals without having a fight first is a fairly severe disadvantage.

Druid Nights is the only scenario I'm aware of without a failure condition, so playing it is purely a ranking exercise - you can't actually lose solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just successfully completed the Mines Liberation scenario in the 2 day/2 night time limit with Arythea. I used seven countryside tiles like the solo conquest scenario states instead of the listed numbers for 2, 3, and 4 players. I still used the red city tile and one non-city core tile.

It was very close. After the turn that I liberated the last mine, the dummy player would have declared end of round. I also got pretty beat up taking the last mine that happened to be directly adjacent to the other core mine. This allowed me to throw away all move cards (I had the movement skill) and increase my chances to draw fight cards and spells.

It is very subtle that you can make quicker progress than in the conquest scenario due to the fact that goal-oriented enemies don't start fortified and Arythea has extra ranged attacks in her starting deck.

I was wrong about the extra reputation gain being a problem. You need the extra rep to plunder the villages and/or gain some cheap units on the way up the map and make up time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the Druid Nights scenario solo three times now. I used seven countryside tiles for the solo games instead of the listed numbers.

You really need a good plan for getting around those glades, which are always in forests.

I would put a rough estimate on winning the scenario at 110 Fame. If you defeat two browns the first night and two reds the second night, you should be close.

I took out three reds at the end of my second game (Banner of Fear (one time ability) / Tornado / Fireball / Blood Rage + Units), but I didn't play the first half very well only summoning one brown and struggling a bit with movement.

My scores were 90, 108, and 124.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Kubigaruma wrote:
I just successfully completed the Mines Liberation scenario in the 2 day/2 night time limit with Arythea. I used seven countryside tiles like the solo conquest scenario states instead of the listed numbers for 2, 3, and 4 players. I still used the red city tile and one non-city core tile.

I used two non-city core tiles, although the extra tile doesn't add up to a full day of distance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Beller
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
heh, I cannot even get close to winning solo in the basic solo conquest game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the "blitz solo conquest" : 5 countryside, 1 non-city core, 1 city core, level as you see fit (try 3 or 4 at first), 4 rounds. That's how I learned the game after the walkthrough. I like this format, it's compact and still a blast.
Credit: I don't remember who suggested it at first, thanks to him!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MythicalMino wrote:
heh, I cannot even get close to winning solo in the basic solo conquest game...

At my first attempt I conquered the first city and had found the second but ran out of time, although I had little to no chance against it's defenders.

Four more attempts since and haven't come near winning although having the red city tile in the stack and drawn in such a way that I would also have to kill one of the Draconum just to get at the city meant it was never really happening anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.