Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lowell Drake
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A question about winning a scenario with a Gully. My friend and I were playing Scenario F, where you have to get four or more cards to Range 4 in terrain that will reduce the Fire Strength of Fire on them. I had group at Range 2 and played a Movement card and changed the range chit to range 3, then next turn placed a Gully on them. A few turns later I pulled another Movement card and flipped my range chit to 4, and there we hit a wall. According to the rules you cannot win with a group that is moving. But if a group is in a gully they’re allowed to advance an additional move up the gully. The group has moved, is in Gully Terrain, but the Movement card stays in place. So the question is: after playing the second Movement card, allowing the group to advance up the gully, had they reached range 4, thus winning the game, or did the group have to play a subsequent Movement card and another Terrain at range 5 to win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All you needed to do is place a terrain card on the moving group after the first movement card. The Gully allows you a second move, but you don't have to play the second movement card.

Unlike the Marsh, which REQIRES two movement cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. But 16.422 is unequivocal that a unit in the act of moving cannot fulfil victory conditions.

So the gully was placed at range 3, you are allowed to move forward to range 4 and still be in cover; but you still needed to place any terrain (other than open ground) to win.

Compare to the case had you left woods at range 3 and added a movement card. You would then be at range 4, and would still have a -1 defence benefit from the woods. But that is insufficient to win the game. The gully situation is analogous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
L4D2 wrote:
A question about winning a scenario with a Gully. My friend and I were playing Scenario F, where you have to get four or more cards to Range 4 in terrain that will reduce the Fire Strength of Fire on them. I had group at Range 2 and played a Movement card and changed the range chit to range 3, then next turn placed a Gully on them. A few turns later I pulled another Movement card and flipped my range chit to 4, and there we hit a wall. According to the rules you cannot win with a group that is moving. But if a group is in a gully they’re allowed to advance an additional move up the gully. The group has moved, is in Gully Terrain, but the Movement card stays in place. So the question is: after playing the second Movement card, allowing the group to advance up the gully, had they reached range 4, thus winning the game, or did the group have to play a subsequent Movement card and another Terrain at range 5 to win?

A) Like all terrains except marsh, Gully does NOT require a second movement card to exit. Only one movement card to exit a Gully and you could have won the game simply by placing any Terrain with negative defensive TEM on it.

B) You are ALWAYS to place a second movement card (on a later turn). However only the last 2 movement/terrain cards in play are counted for the defensive TEM. With a terrain (say, woods) & 1 movement card, the TEM is whatever the terrain was -2, with +1 for the movement for a total of -1. If you have a Woods terrain and 2 movement cards in play, only the two movement cards count, so TEM would be +2.

Gully DOES have special rules that affect a movement cards--The first movement card is considered to be "in the gully":
- So the opposing cannot fire on a group in a gully with one movement card--unless the firing group is on a Hill or is at RR5.
- If s second movement card is play, enemy groups (except those on a Hill or at RR5) cannot see the first movement card only second one is visible--i.e. Defensive TEM is +1. (An enemy group on a Hill could see both the first and second movement card--therefore +2 TEM)

C) Actually the victory condition rule is specific: When when it says Range Chit 4, it does NOT mean range chit 4 or higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.