Jesse Theiler

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
I've developed what I think is a pretty cool card game called "The President" where the goal is to gain enough votes to become president.

Right now, the game has the 2 major US parties in it, Republican and Democrat. Does anyone know if those terms are considered public domain and therefore can be used in the context of this game?

For example, there are cards that are Republican and others that are Decmocrat.

I've done some poking around on the net and quite frankly can only find discussion related to the symbols (Donkey/Elephant - I'm not using those) but not the party names themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jptheiler wrote:
I've developed what I think is a pretty cool card game called "The President" where the goal is to gain enough votes to become president.

Right now, the game has the 2 major US parties in it, Republican and Democrat. Does anyone know if those terms are considered public domain and therefore can be used in the context of this game?

Anecdotal evidence-- that is, the presence of other games with this theme that feature those very same real-life parties-- suggests that you're in the clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jeffers
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Find out more at www.thebritishhistorypodcast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is no democrat party. There's a Democratic party. The term "Democrat party" was created by a Republican strategist because they thought it would imply certain rodent qualities. So if you use "Democrat party" your game will have a hamfisted slur in its core concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Waibel
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
inevitability wrote:
Well, there is no democrat party. There's a Democratic party. The term "Democrat party" was created by a Republican strategist because they thought it would imply certain rodent qualities. So if you use "Democrat party" your game will have a hamfisted slur in its core concept.

Maybe he should use "demorat" and "republitard" instead. Might be more reflective of our actual political system
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sacrosanct wrote:
Maybe he should use "demorat" and "republitard" instead. Might be more reflective of our actual political system

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Davis
United States
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
inevitability wrote:

And yet a candidate or elected official with a party affiliation is called a "Republican" or a "Democrat". Are the Democrats choosing to insult themselves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use this one instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_parties_in_th...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

Thank you for the reminder that the two party system is... not actually 2 party...

Hope you have a card for the Independent... or InDependspants if we want to still offend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Theiler

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

Thank you for the reminder that the two party system is... not actually 2 party...

Hope you have a card for the Independent... or InDependspants if we want to still offend

I'm working on mechanics for an Independent option but since there hasn't been an American president elected from a party other than Dem or Rep since the 1800s those two are featured atm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Tanenbaum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this sort of thing generally falls under the fair use doctrine, as commentary or derivative art. Unless you are slandering the parties you're unlikely to generate much trouble -- it would cause much more damage for a political party to quibble with a tiny board game designer over incidental naming rights.

Also, it's the Democratic Party (adjective), but individually they are Democrats (noun). This is confusing because the noun and adjective happen to be the same for Republicans.

Edited to add: I'm not a lawyer, this isn't official legal advice, blah blah blah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general reminder, though it is obviously related please refrain from letting discussion drift into politics. We have a designated Religion Sex and Politics forum - posting on those topics outside of that forum is not permitted.

Remember, if you see content that you find offensive or otherwise violates our Community Rules please consider flagging any offending posts as violations by using the icon rather than responding. This serves two functions - first, if enough users flag a post then it will be collapsed from general view. Second, flagging posts helps bring them to the attention of the forum moderators.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just use the terms "Big Brother" and "Big Mother".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Augusto
msg tools
Republic -> Republic+an
Demo -> Demo+cracy, Demo+graphics, Demo+crat

In portuguese we have "Republicano" and "Democrata" and i am sure that those are just general words like Police or Police+men.

You could always consider changing the names to something silly like "Demo+crap" and "Republic+rap" (which would be very suitable to represent the portuguese political parties).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use Getuplican and Downocrat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.