Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I need a space game for a final game for my collection. Here is a list of what space games I could find that are great potentials:

Big Time Games:
Eclipse
Phantom League
Merchant of Venus
Starfarers of Catan
Twilight Imperium
Battlestar Galactica
Ad Astra
High Frontier

Unique Games:
Galaxy Trucker
Panic Station
Space Alert
Cosmic Encounter
Alien Frontier
Mission: Red Planet
Star Fluxx

Deeper Card Games:

Eminent Domain
Race for the Galaxy
Core Worlds

Star Trek Games:

Expeditions
Fleet Captains

If you could choose one, which would it be? Why?

edit: added some games I forgot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digger Cook
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Eclipse and Race for the Galaxy look awesome, but have not played either.

I do have Galaxy Trucker and it is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Ohlsson
Sweden
Lyckeby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Space Alert is one of my favorite games and would play it anytime anywhere, however not with everyone. The same goes with Panic Station which I have played the most recently and we love it in our group.

Eclipse is in the mail heading my way as I write this, yay for me! And I hope this hits the table very soon as it has gotten fantastic reviews basically everywhere.

Three totally different games and depending on your gaming group a hit or miss but I do feel that although I have not played it yet Eclipse should be the safest bet, however a bit difficult to find in the states it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition: it is the boss of the space games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
add High Frontier and i'd say that or
Merchant of Venus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica is a highly thematic game, and if you like the series, you can't go wrong with that one.

Galaxy Trucker is one of my favorites, but I kow it's not for everyone. If you have a problem with mass chaos, you might not enjoy it that much.

Space Alert is an extremely tense cooperative game, and if you don't mind losing more than you win, I'd definitely recommend that.

Cosmic Encounter is extremely interactive, and depends as much on the personalities of the players as the game itself. If you don't mind a good amount of randomness mixed with some light hearted negotiation, go for it.

Did you mean Star Fluxx? I haven't played it, but if you like Fluxx, it's probably about the same as the others. Not a big fan myself.

Race For The Galaxy is a good game, but it's kind of solitaire-ish. There's not a whole lot of interaction, so if that's what you're looking for, this is probably not a good idea. Personally, I love it.

I haven't played any of the others, but I hope this helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter. Vast replayability and mind-boggling unpredictability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker and RftG are two of our most played games...Battlestar Gallactica is IMHO very dependent on the group but can be a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I own plenty of space-themed games, almost none of which are on your list! This question you ask is almost an impossible question to answer unless we know more about your gaming tastes. Some of these games are short and will take an hour to play, while others (e.g. Twilight Imperium) will take six or more hours to complete. Some are two player games, others require at least three, and others aren't very good unless you have four or more at the table. Some are very "Euro" in terms of mechanics and so forth, while others are closer to wargames.

What are you looking for in terms of:
* No. of players
* Typical playing time
* Weight of rules (i.e. light, medium, heavy/complex)
* Style (Euro, AT, wargame)
* Direct conflict is OK, yes or no?
* Player elimination is OK, yes or no?

Some info on these points would make providing a suggestion much more productive!

Personally, my current two favorites, both recent publications, aren't even on the list!
Space Empires: 4X
Battleship Galaxies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium is the King of these games meeple

Merchant of Venus is the old classic.

Race for the Galaxy is a great and fast game.

Space Fluxx is lots of fun.

Battlestar Galactica is a really great co-op.

My choice would be those 5. If I have to narrow down to one, I would get Twilight Imperium. (and Fluxx - this is inexpensive)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones I have actually added to my collection are:

Vanished Planet, an older cooperative game. Fantastic theme, but the game seems to have a "love it or hate it" quality. My wife and I love it for its tension and fun. I can see why people hate it for its swingy randomness and fiddly/complex resource conversions.

Race for the Galaxy. My wife hated its complexity immediately, while I was ok with that aspect (although I still liked the simpler San Juan better. The more I played, the less I liked the game. It started as an 8, but quickly fell to a 6. Then I was stuck in a cabin for a few days, and knocked out 300 games vs. the Keldon AI. By the time that was done, I actively disliked the game. I can't say exactly why. The leaching is not that much fun for me. The base game has a bunch of cards that really only make sense after you add an expansion. Although I got better, it seemed like the AI could win without any real strategy at all, playing odd mish-mashes of cards. Traded away.

Space Alert. My wife loves co-ops, and loves the space theme. Our first training mission was a disaster, I suppose because I didn't read the rules quite thoroughly enough. The mission itself doesn't tell you a few things you really need to know. After that, and after she saw that it fully deserves its 2.9 BGG weight, she wouldn't give it another chance. Knowing that it doesn't play that well with 2p anyway, and would be very hard to get to the table with a larger group, I gave up on it too. I suspect if I could learn it in a group of 4 or 5, I might enjoy it. Traded away.

Terra Prime, a space exploration and pickup/deliver game. You can kill aliens, but not other players, which is the kind of game I like. I have only gotten to play it once, with 2p, and it was Ok but not great. I think it really wants at least 3-4 players. I hope to get it to the table again.

Star Trek: Expeditions. A solid, but not fantastic, Knizia co-op. Part of it is highly thematic, while part of it is utterly abstract. We have only played it a couple times, and so far we enjoy it. I really wish they would come out with scenario expansions rather than character expansions.

I have also played Star Trek: Fleet Captains once, with 4 players. It seems like it would be a good 2p Star Trek game, if you enjoy a fair bit of conflict.

I have my eye on Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation, and later Star Wars: The Card Game. Can you tell that I like co-ops??? If my wife were more into competitive games, I would try Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
* No. of players typically 3-5 but can be less or more
* Typical playing time 60-120 minutes
* Weight of rules (i.e. light, medium, heavy/complex) could be any weight
* Style (Euro, AT, wargame) not a wargame, maybe more exploratory or discovery (can be a card game)
* Direct conflict is OK, yes or no? (not too much)
* Player elimination is OK, yes or no? (not really)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langford
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse, it's brilliant and you'll get it to the table often..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Battlestar Galactica.

If you had not expressed no war games, I would have also added Space Empires: 4X.

Race for the Galaxy is not to bad as long as you stop after the first expansion. But you do like Innovation, so maybe Race will work for you. (based on the fact that everyone I know that loves Race also loves Innovation, not that they are remotely comparable.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No love for Ascending Empires?
^ My current favorite exploration & Tech Tree development game. The disk-flicking for movement adds a great deal of unpredictability & danger (as space travel should). Tech Trees are pretty straightforward, not overwhelmong or complicated. Plays 2-4 (4 best) in about 2 hrs.

I'll echo the votes for:
Battlestar Galactica, I think any group of serious sci-fi-fan gamers must have a copy. And tho it won't hit the table as often as others (due to being better w 5-7 players and about 3 hour game length), every play is worthwhile and memorable (fans of the tv show or not).

Cosmic Encounter is another of those classic, must-own games, but has the same drawback as BSG (better with max players & specific personalities), but games can be quick and, again, always a memorable, worthwhile game session!
and,
Mission: Red Planet, maybe the more "Euro" of the bunch. Has Area Domination at it's core, w Role Selection and Turn Order "bidding" (sort of) ala Citadels or Puerto Rico. Enough PVP (sabotage other players' missions or re-directing their ships) to please your confrontational friends! Reasonable playtime (2 hrs) and accomodates smaller groups (tho we like 4).

One I don't know much about (haven't played), but hear good "buzz" about is Ares Project. Maybe it's not out yet...?
Sounds like a deck-builder, like Eminent Domain, but maybe more direct conflict? Again, not 100% sure, but it's new and might worth a glance.

Our game group has taken well to Eclipse. Looks "heavy", but all who've played seem to really like it.

Oh, and RftG has been played at every one of our weekly game noght since Thanksgiving, may be our group's new Most Played game. A few don't like it (maybe the multi-solitaire that
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
mentioned above, don't know. But definitely more Yesses than Noes in our fairly large group. So probably worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can make the time every once in a while Twilight Imperium III has no equal. Battlestar Galactica is a completely different yet equally great game that also deserves a place in every collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
* Style (Euro, AT, wargame) not a wargame, maybe more exploratory or discovery (can be a card game)

From this, I would say Ad Astra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what I'm looking for is a space game where you can discover planets and mine them for different resources. This would be a primary want in a space game. Conflict is ok, but I would like the option to be able to win without confict as well. Variable player powers are high on my list, tech trees and other augmentative things are also something I'm looking for.

Any game fit the bill?

After looking at the reviews, I am not interested in: Ad Astra, Ascending Empires, or Phantom League (not smooth enough). I've had Race but my play group hated the iconography.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:

Eclipse is an awesome game, but Core Worlds fits your criteria a bit better.

I wasn't a fan of Space Alert (or at least my group hated it....and being a co-op, that's everything) or Race for the Galaxy (learning curve too high with heavy iconology), and Star Fluxx is just silly.

Mission: Red Planet and Alien Frontiers are okay, but being area control, there is going to be a lot more conflict. I don't absolutely love either game, but I wouldn't be opposed to playing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
I think what I'm looking for is a space game where you can discover planets and mine them for different resources. This would be a primary want in a space game. Conflict is ok, but I would like the option to be able to win without confict as well. Variable player powers are high on my list, tech trees and other augmentative things are also something I'm looking for.

Any game fit the bill?

After looking at the reviews, I am not interested in: Ad Astra, Ascending Empires, or Phantom League (not smooth enough). I've had Race but my play group hated the iconography.

On second thought, after reading those criteria....I would 100% recommend Eclipse. Seriously. You're practically defining the game.

Watch this video:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/11054/eclipse/drakkenstrikes-...

It gives an excellent overview...(it doesn't, however, give the aspect of different races having different strengths which looks like something you'd be interested in)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse seems a bit conflict heavy, is this true or am I just getting a wrong impression?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:

Any game fit the bill?

Eclipse: it is the new boss of the space games.

It's about eXploration & eXpanding (discovering planets), eXploiting (getting different resources from the sectors) and eXtermintaing (not necessary player vs. player conflict, there are NPC Ancient ship that you can battle too).

IMHO combat/conflict doesn't play that big part in Eclipse. Variable player powers (checked, Terrans and six different alien races), tech trees (checked, very clever non-linear tech tree system).

Eclipse scales well between 3-6 players and supports even 2-player game.
Playing time with experienced players is 30-40 min / player, the initial learning games can take 1+ hours / player, though.
There are multiple paths to victory, however winning strategy is rarely without any fighting (because fighting gives you victory points).
Small change of player elimination, but in my experience happens very rarely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
Eclipse seems a bit conflict heavy, is this true or am I just getting a wrong impression?

There is definitely conflict, but we're not a wargame group either, and it's gone over well. Conflict is going to be part of the game, but points are scored from a number of different areas....research, alliances, special buildings, exploring, etc. It is actually possible to win the game without getting in any major battles, but usually it does require some conflict. It's definitely less of a war-game and more accessible than Twilight Imperium (Third Edition).

It may be too much for your group. That video I linked to gives one of the best representations of the game I can think of. You obviously know you're group better than we do, but it's gone over well with my Eurogamey group. My fiancé loves games like Agricola, Dominion, Pandemic, etc. and she really enjoyed our game of Eclipse the other night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks good; it looks real good, but it just seems like its missing the mark by just a hair; such as the lack of diverse resources; I would to do something like: mine planets for ore, water, power cells, etc., and then while exploring uncover a Dune-like planet with a much coveted resource. At the same time I would like the ability to do conflict and non conflict interaction such as trade and diplomacy. Just many different ways to win. Maybe there isn't a game like that yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.