David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was intrigued to see what this game had to offer as my 8 year old son had spent £16.99 of his Christmas money on purchasing this direct from the publisher.

First impressions were good as the box measured a sizeable 44cm x 32cm x 5cm.

Getting the box open showed the following components.

1 x Board
12 x Cars
7 x marker cars
5 x double sided score sheets
21 x cards
1 x d20
2 x d6
1 x rule sheet

Looking closer it was clear the box size was being driven by the board. This measured 83cm x 59cm when fully open. The board was of a nice quality and as with most childrens games the board was brightly coloured and very clear.

The next components we took out were the cars. They were packaged very nicely in a box as follows:

The box contained 12 cars in 6 different team colours. These were about the size of the matchbox cars I used to play with as a boy or hot wheels as my boys use now. A car measures about 7.5cm long. My son was particularly pleased with these components!

A close up of one of the cars is below:

Next were the Dice and the marker cars which are used for tracking turn order and which changes between races and for tracking which car is in the lead.

The next components were the score sheets. From a quick scan of the rules each race is one lap around the track. Once three cars have crossed the line scores are taken. Then another race begins (with cars starting in finishing order from the previous). Another lap is then performed and scored again. This is repeated a number of times until one player has accumulated 77 points to win the championship.

These score sheets will obviously be crucial to keeping track of positions and filling them in may well fall to the oldest child (or Grandad!) who is playing. These looked fairly clear to fill in and will be good practice at addition for the children using them!

The final components were the cards. There are 21 cards made up of 5 types. Some are a bonus for the person picking them and the others for the car currently residing in last place. These are key to keeping the children engaged as it is possible to be in last place but with a certain amount of luck you can shoot around the track and catch up. This is very much a theme for Appleton games. Everyone has a fair chance to win and nobody is ever in an irrecoverable position.

The cards are nice and think and laminated so they should survive the abuse of younger players.

All put out and ready play it looked very impressive.

Overall impressions? The components are nice and bright and appear well thought out. From reading the rules - which cover 2 sides of A4 and are broken out into clear concise sections - it would appear like many childrens games luck will play a large part with very few actual tactical decisions (much like junior monopoly).

Both my sons and their Grandad enjoyed this thoroughly (we are all motorsport fans) and I am sure there will be many more chances to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.