Subject: Stone sizes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff B
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Could someone please give me some advice on Go stones? I recently bought a standard Go board (424 x 454), along with a set of JungStone glass stones (convex) which measure 7mm x 20mm. The stones are great, but the diameter is a little small for my aesthetic preferences--I prefer the look of the stones being relatively close together (touching, or nearly touching).

That being said, the local store I purchased them from said they would exchange them for a larger size. The only larger sizes that have are JangStone 8mm x 21mm stones, and some more expensive 10mm x 22mm stones. Are the 21mm stones large enough to make the stones fit snuggly together, or is it best to get the 22mm stones? The only problem with the 22mm stones is that they are 10mm thick, which I don't know if that is considered too thick for ease of handling, and they are quite expensive at $70 USD.

Any suggestions? I might be willing to spend the extra money on the larger stones if the thickness is not an issue. Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a Japanese board. On mine, I use 21 mm stones, and they look fine. 22 mm should still work OK. Once you get to 23 mm you probably need a Chinese board to avoid crowding.

10 mm thick is pretty thick. Since it's a local store you should handle some first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff B
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
James, my board is a bamboo, reversible (13x13 on the other side) board made in China. However, I'm assuming that "Japanese" refers to the specific measurements.

I wasn't able to accurately measure the entire length and width of the board (didn't have a large enough measuring tool available), but the line widths are 1mm, and the spaces/squares measured 22mm x about 23.7mm, which I understand is the standard Japanese board.

I will definitely try them out on the same board I purchased. I like the more raised look of the thicker stones, but I'll try them out before buying them.

This is the look and fit of the stones that I really like, though I certainly don't have the goban board:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I meant that the most likely board size for the dimensions you gave is "Japanese". Since you can try out the stones, just pick the ones you like best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff B
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
I ended up getting the JangStone 8mm x 21mm stones. They certainly fit the board better than the 7mm x 20mm stones I orginally had. I took your advice, James, and tried the stones out at the game store here in Austin. I liked the larger 10mm x 22mm stones, but one thing I didn't initially consider was how much more unstable (wobbly) the placed stones were compared to the flatter, smaller ones. Of course, when I think about it this makes sense, as less surface area of the 10mm stones is touching the board. Not to mention, the 10mm stones cost quite a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.