Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, and Happy New Year.

Escape Pod Games is looking for a few guys to play and review some beta copies of our game, Gunship: First Strike!.

We are hitting Kickstarter next month and I'd like to get some more feedback.

I am having trouble getting the pros to do a review because they all want an actual production copy of the game and right now I have only 2 prototypes left from China (one went to Game Salute). I really want to keep the other 2 for my own collection.

I have 12 copies coming this month from Superior POD. They will NOT have a box but all other components are included (cards, dice, tokens, boards, etc) and the quality is good enough for playtesting. Much better than what I have been using for years now!

I will ship it to you for free and the beta will be yours to keep. All I ask in return is to write a review here on BGG or maybe on our website. I will be in contact when the time comes and we decide how to best use the reviews. If you are not in the USA I may need to ask for shipping money and it will have to be a destination that can be reached quickly. But I don't want to leave my international friends out.

I don't know how many of these 12 are going out - several are already marked for friends, etc. I will probably have 4 or so slots available.

If you are interested, please post your reasons here. I do not expect anyone to beg for this opportunity of course, but your reply here may set you apart from the next guy and I will have to decide how best to deploy my forces.

Thanks!

Steve
EPG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - OK sounds like you two may be getting one.

I don't care if someone is new to this or one of the most popular reviewers, everyone's opinion counts.

I actually have been in touch with Tom but I may end up waiting until I can send him a production copy. One of those million things that needs to be decided in the next two weeks! shake

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. If you're looking for a review by someone with a pinky on the European gaming scene, please drop me a line.

Cheers, and good luck with your game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, I live in Herndon- not too too far from you. Let me know if you still need someone to take a look.

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack - we need to get you over to playtest! I guess its not really playtest anymore - just play?

Shoot me a GM and we can schedule a day to meet sometime. I could come out to the Game Parlor in Chantilly.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
Sounds interesting. If you're looking for a review by someone with a pinky on the European gaming scene, please drop me a line.

How long would it take to get to Austria?

Any known shipping issues?

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Marlorme
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds fantastic!

My gaming group consists of about 15 people (ladies and gents). Collectively, we have a wide ranging and deep experience with board and card games (anyone up for a game of Middle Earth: CCG?). Some of us are second generation gamers, and I am personally a third generation gamer (my father's stories of playing Diplomacy with his father are epic). We all have playtesting/feedback experience from cons and festivals and such (we all love playtesting for Steve Jackson at PAX, for example). Most of us have designed at least one game, and we have a couple of collaborative projects in the works.

One of our number just finished his masters in Publishing with a focus in gaming and currently works as the marketing manager for a small game company. Another is a graduated English major who is always looking for a place to apply his writing acumen. Most of us are graduates of the same liberal arts college, so we have had good analytic skills and expository writing drilled into our heads.

More than anything, we are passionate and informed gamers. We love to sink our teeth into a new game and understand it fully. We would be deeply pleased to play and review your Gunship.

On a personal side note, I am a great fan of the Descent: Freespace series of space-sim tactical combat games. The ship loadouts, the tactical choices, and the immersive world keep me coming back for more over a decade later. While you may or may not have been inspired by those games, Gunship seems to bear at least some passing similarities (Which makes me all the more excited to check it out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape Pod Games wrote:
E Decker wrote:

How long would it take to get to Austria?

Any known shipping issues?

Steve

They use a randomizer to determine how long it takes for something to get here. A week or so is probably the norm, although it ranges from almost instantaneous to several decades weeks if you're unlucky.

Not sure what shipping issues you have in mind, but most of the highwaymen are now in other lines of work, like tax collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Aubert
France
TOULON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

We run a gaming club here in Toulon and we have at least one session per week with 25-40 gamers who range from 16 to 50+ years old.
So we could run it with different gamers groups.

If it would be ok for you, we could show your beta to 2 game designers, Emmanuel Fille and Michel Pinon who are also members of our group and who ask us from time to time to test their games.

Our game society president runs a blog in which he reviews games, books, cooking and much more.

And last but not least, it would be reviews from overseas and we may have different angles of approach of boardgaming that could be valuable to you :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a blast. I am planning to begin writing review with a format like the following and my wife and I may start doing video reviews as well...

ReviewTitle

1. Availability

2. Price

3. Components

4. Set Up Time

5. Theme

6. Victory Conditions

7. Rules & Mechanics

8. Strategy

9. The Good

10. The Bad

11. The Controversial

12. Game Comparisons

13. Sustainability

14. Recap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also look at my profile to read my description of what makes a great game for me to see if this would be a good fit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you fancy a european perspective send one this way. I can get a few perspectives on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the offers - I am still weighing options and looking for other offers. I will start GMing people in a day or two. Keep the replies going if you are interested!

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am starting to do reviews. I have three currently available. One on Martian Dice, one based on a playtest copy of Assault on Galactus Prime, and one video review of video Fjords.

I'm still trying to pin down my identity, but my general goal is not to talk about what I like or don't like but to try to figure out what type of gamer would most enjoy a particular game. I play games with my wife and I also have two other game groups consisting mostly of men in their 20s and 30s who are more hardcore gamers. I'm in Illinois.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested.

I demo games extensively at stores and conventions.
I have a bunch of friends I can harass into playing.
I'm always "the rules guy" in my game groups, the one who understands and teaches
I'm in Canada, eh?
I was your first Twitter follower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
Damn, it feels good to be a hamster!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in playing a copy. We have a game group that meets together about once a week and this looks similar to the type of games we enjoy. I haven't done any reviews here on BGG as of yet. I will however have the group play though it 10-20 times and base the review off the feedback receive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK guys,

I picked 5 of you and have sent GM.

I went for a good combo of USA and Europe.

Some of you are alternates if people do not get back in touch with me.

Do not feel bad - some of these came down to the roll of a die!

Thanks again!

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lol you guys were right in - I had to find a way to choose which ones to send out of country.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.