Survive: Escape from Atlantis!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Survive Pre-Game Oath rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Art Wright
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I love Survive:Escape from Atlantis, and have been playing it frequently. When I first got a copy of the game, however, I realized that I was going to run into problems playing this game with certain friends that can be whiny when someone attacks them or is in any way aggressive toward them in a board game. Thus, I developed this "Pre-Game Oath" that all players must read aloud, simultaneously, after we've set up the board and our pieces. My friends love reading it and laugh as they do so, and it helps put a nice, humorous spin on the ensuing game. Plus, if someone does complain about a whale knocking over their boat, then we have recourse to say, "Well, you did take the oath..."

I would welcome your suggestions for revisions if you have any!

Survive: Escape from Atlantis
Pre-Game oath

I hereby pledge to play this game without grumbling or whining. I will allow my meeples to be killed: they will not die without a fight but they will die a horrible, watery death.

To those who show no mercy, no mercy will be shown. I vow vengeance, and will spill the blood of many meeples, be they red, green, yellow, or blue. Creatures of the sea are color blind.

May the whales always be careless with their tails and splinter loaded boats into a thousand wooden fragments.

May the bellies of sharks never be empty.

And may all who hope for salvation scream for terror and quake at the sight of the dreaded sea monsters.

May the seas run red with the blood of a thousand dead Atlanteans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
Brilliant! I have yet to break out my copy, but will definitely be using this when I do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Shoot
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This IS brilliant... and doesn't need any changes.

My only question is, What do you do IF/WHEN there is whining???

Ok, just reread it... You pull out the oath and say, "Well, you did take this oath." Simple and great answer.

So my final question: Does it work? Well, I'm sure it would work with adults. I guess I'm asking if anyone has tried this with children and has it worked??

Thanks for sharing it!!

UPDATE: Ok, played two games last night with another adult and two kids... the "Pre-Game Oath" is just the thing those boys needed! It really got them into the "Oh yeah, I knew some of my guys were gonna die when I started this!" mindset..
... and most importantly, they all had FUN!!

Can't thank you enough and I'm posting a link to this forum for others...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Genius!

Many other games need something similar to get people into the right mindset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.