Popular Tags: [View All]
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it. So has anybody played both Through The Ages and the latest Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game, and if so how do they compare, and ultimately, which do you prefer? I'm looking to buy a Civ building game, and these two are on the top of the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played both. I feel like I have done more in Through the Ages than Civ for the same amount of time or less. TtA is more fiddly in pieces vs. Civ more fiddly in rules. Civ more chrome. TtA more abstract, but even though cov has a board and you move stuff, it still felt abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't go wrong with either game. Both are excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly prefer the new Civilization. TtA is extremely fiddly, and rather than having the usual slow down the leader mechanic, it rewards picking on the weakest player, which makes it a very bad experience for a beginner. Without a map, an important element of why I like Civ games is absent.

Civilization has a lot of elements of the computer game, including a modular map, and it provides reasonably streamlined play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
I like TTA better, but like them both. TTA is more abstract in that your civ is on cards, where as Civ is played on a map and you have actual cardboard buildings at least. I think TTA does a better job integrating the various parts of your civilization than does Civ. I do very much like the tech tree in Civ.

I find the combat rules in Sid Meier's Civ to be kind of clunky and the game seemed to get very samey to me upon replay. I'm interested to see if the expansion makes certain of the victory routes easier to attain (e.g., culture victory) and if it makes the game more replayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I prefer TtA, but both are great games. I think TtA is a bit more the civilization managing, while SMCiv is a bit more map handling. If you really enjoy moving around on a map, that is what SMCiv has over TtA. The Tech is more important in TtA than in SMCiv, though. Finally, TtA feels a bit more streamlined; SMCiv is the typical FFG fare with lots of rules and exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Archon313 wrote:
This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it. So has anybody played both Through The Ages and the latest Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game, and if so how do they compare, and ultimately, which do you prefer? I'm looking to buy a Civ building game, and these two are on the top of the list.

Through The Ages: An amazing masterpiece, one of the greatest games ever created.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Completely broken, only one feasible way (economic victory) to win, good concept but poor execution.

There's no comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody for all the input. I ordered Through the Ages this morning. Pretty sure I'll like it.

Dusty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Id go for TTA as it seems deeper. I wouldn't get Civ as there is no UK civ and it seems to be a mediocre game from the posts I have read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither of them are terribly good games. Forced to pick one to play, I would pick TTA, but only with 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
I have only played Civ, so i am probably not qualified to comments however:

the combat in Civ just doesn't work. if you have upgraded at any point you will win, i.e a level 2 horseman will take out a level 1 infantry even though they are weak against them.

other than combat Civ is fantastic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
exparrot wrote:

the combat in Civ just doesn't work. if you have upgraded at any point you will win, i.e a level 2 horseman will take out a level 1 infantry even though they are weak against them.

That's kind of overstating it...level 1 units range from 1-3 and level 2 units range from 2-4. There's still plenty of room for overlap there. Also, isn't that kind of the point of upgrading?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I recommend Through the Ages. I have been able to play it around 30 times in the past 4 months. There are so many different and interesting strategies that you can use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Compton
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duty,

Having got TtA, has it lived up to your expectations?
I'm in the same position, looking for a good civ building game so would really like to hear what you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertcompton wrote:
Duty,

I'm in the same position, looking for a good civ building game so would really like to hear what you think?

Check my top ten games. But yeah, it's an awesome game. I started to write "the only knock against it..." but that's not right. The only warning I'd give someone is that this game takes a while... Maybe a few hours your first time playing the full game (with only two players). But this is NOT a knock against the game. In so many games I'm left with the feeling that I wasn't able to accomplish even most of what I wanted. But not in TtA. Sure, you can't do everything, but you are left with a feeling of great accomplishment (at least I was).
I've never given a game a 9 before, let alone a 10... Until now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Archon313 wrote:
robertcompton wrote:
Duty,

Check my top ten games. But yeah, it's an awesome game. I started to write "the only knock against it..." but that's not right. The only warning I'd give someone is that this game takes a while... Maybe a few hours your first time playing the full game (with only two players). But this is NOT a knock against the game. In so many games I'm left with the feeling that I wasn't able to accomplish even most of what I wanted. But not in TtA. Sure, you can't do everything, but you are left with a feeling of great accomplishment (at least I was).

your next step is to play it at www.boardgaming-online.com!

i play it while on my way to school using my phone because of this website
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add just a bit more. I don't like it when people give rave reviews without balancing their statements. So here's another warning; the rulebook is kind of intimidating. After my first game I discovered about three things I'd done wrong. I think I've discovered a fourth.

Regarding game length, my brother and I played the short, easy game, and then the full game, and when we were done it was six hours later. but it was the first games for both of us, we had a few interruptions, and he suffers from AP... Pretty badly. Of course he won.

When I opened the box and told my bro that it was a civ game, he asked where the map was. When I told him their wasn't one he looked dubious. After finishing, he and I both had to confess that we forgot that there wasn't a map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cpf86 wrote:
Archon313 wrote:
robertcompton wrote:
Duty,

your next step is to play it at www.boardgaming-online.com!

i play it while on my way to school using my phone because of this website :)

Just started two days ago. Haven't finished a game yet, but I have three going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both and through the ages is a heavier more complex game while civilization is a lighter type game. I enjoy both a LOT and would recommend them both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.