Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. Played solo on Wargameroom to give the interface a spin before troubling someone with my Noobness. What I found was that the program lacks an easy way to see your card text for all your cards at once. It was very annoying to have to select one at a time to read a description. Why it lacks a bigger window showing your entire hand at once is just a silly oversight if you ask me. I considered using my real cards. As a last resort I may just do that. But I decided to see what the file section had. After searching for a while I found

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/54054/twilight-struggle-el...

Is this the best way to go for Wargameroom use? It's description says that is its purpose. So I gave it a try. Problem is I don't know one dang thing about excel. I downloaded the official xls viewer from Microsoft and I'm stuck at that point. I tried right clicking everywhere to unhide as the creator says here "The worksheet with card data is deliberately hidden; to unhide, right click on the worksheet bar and select unhide." All that keeps popping up is copy. And what exactly is the worksheet bar? I tried all over. If someone knows how to use this xls program or can suggest a better alternative for me please give me a helping hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The viewer may not allow you to modify the XLS in which case it won't be of use to you as you need to enter the card number to make the tool work. You can use one of the other free or browser based versions to make it work though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 32 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lebatron wrote:
Hi all. Played solo on Wargameroom to give the interface a spin before troubling someone with my Noobness. What I found was that the program lacks an easy way to see your card text for all your cards at once. It was very annoying to have to select one at a time to read a description. Why it lacks a bigger window showing your entire hand at once is just a silly oversight if you ask me. I considered using my real cards. As a last resort I may just do that. But I decided to see what the file section had. After searching for a while I found

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/54054/twilight-struggle-el...

Is this the best way to go for Wargameroom use? It's description says that is its purpose. So I gave it a try. Problem is I don't know one dang thing about excel. I downloaded the official xls viewer from Microsoft and I'm stuck at that point. I tried right clicking everywhere to unhide as the creator says here "The worksheet with card data is deliberately hidden; to unhide, right click on the worksheet bar and select unhide." All that keeps popping up is copy. And what exactly is the worksheet bar? I tried all over. If someone knows how to use this xls program or can suggest a better alternative for me please give me a helping hand.

Don't bother will all the macros in there, just open the sheet named "Card Index" and reference the text. You'll soon get to know the Early War cards by heart. Mid and Late War cards will follow soon after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LibreOffice/OpenOffice work fine too; just use one of those. Probably any of the various Office-alikes able to import MS files should work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a bit of looking around I decided to try out Google docs for the first time. I does the trick without the need of even installing something. May not be that fully featured but that is not what I was looking for anyway. It allows me to enter the numbers and thats all I ask of it. So I got it working fine. However, I played a guy today that was so impatient he wouldn't even give me the time to enter my eight numbers into the excel sheet so I could see my entire hand at a glance and put some thought into my choices. So I said #uck it and just started selecting stuff fast without really knowing what it did. US won very fast. We were done in less than 15 minutes. Does everyone on Wargameroom expect players to have these cards memorized? I really disliked my intro to this place today. Looks like I may just have to wait until GMT gets it's own PC version going in the next year or two. Until then, I may have to wait on playing this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play on Vassal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I could play it there as well as Zuntzu. I just preferred the idea of Wargamerooms version because its a true PC program for it. Meaning it does all the counting and enforcing of rules and all that. Vassal is to clunky for my tastes. I like the drag and drop ease that Zuntzu offers. Feels more like an actual game in front of you than vassal does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Vassal module does a pretty good job at automatically enforcing rules; it's much better than most modules, I have to say. Events are automatically applied to the board, region scoring is done automatically, et cetera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lebatron wrote:
After a bit of looking around I decided to try out Google docs for the first time. I does the trick without the need of even installing something. May not be that fully featured but that is not what I was looking for anyway. It allows me to enter the numbers and thats all I ask of it. So I got it working fine. However, I played a guy today that was so impatient he wouldn't even give me the time to enter my eight numbers into the excel sheet so I could see my entire hand at a glance and put some thought into my choices. So I said #uck it and just started selecting stuff fast without really knowing what it did. US won very fast. We were done in less than 15 minutes. Does everyone on Wargameroom expect players to have these cards memorized? I really disliked my intro to this place today. Looks like I may just have to wait until GMT gets it's own PC version going in the next year or two. Until then, I may have to wait on playing this game.

Most players on wargameroom have been playing for a while and will have pretty much the whole deck memorised. But most are also perfectly happy to slow up if you are new and need more time, when you're looking for a game in the chatroom, mention you are new and will need to take a bit longer and you will very probably get someone who will be happy to accomadate you.

Very few players would rather play someone who is playing almost at random then have a proper game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Poll
England
matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I played a guy today that was so impatient he wouldn't even give me the time to enter my eight numbers into the excel sheet so I could see my entire hand at a glance and put some thought into my choices.

I read a previous post on BGG that seemed to suggest a comprehensive knowledge of the cards was a good idea if you want to play on wargameroom. Not necessarily because players have no patience but because of the way the interface works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.