Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ANDREAS UDBY
United States
SPOKANE
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 11-year-old picked up a pile of Pirates stuff cheap somewhere and now wants to play. We have a copy of the rules, but they're really vague in the combat area. Are my following assumptions correct?

-- A red cannon has L range and a white cannon has S range
-- To shoot, you have to roll above the number shown on the shooting cannon's mast (or is it supposed to be "equal to or above"?)
-- The die numbers on the target ship's masts have no bearing on whether or not the shot does damage; the damage is automatic if a successful hit is scored

Questions:
-- When does a ship sink? If it loses all its masts, it becomes a Derelict, so then does it take simply another successful hit to sink it?
-- Can a Derelict do anything besides scuttle itself?
-- How many actions can a ship take in a turn? Can it shoot and move, or does it need to stop moving in order to shoot (essentially by doing each on seperate turns)?

Thanks for whatever insight you can provide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
javelin98 wrote:
My 11-year-old picked up a pile of Pirates stuff cheap somewhere and now wants to play. We have a copy of the rules, but they're really vague in the combat area. Are my following assumptions correct?
Do you have a copy of the illustrated/quick-start rules? That covers a lot of the really basic info that was unfortunately omitted (or only implied) in the written rulesheet.

Quote:
-- A red cannon has L range and a white cannon has S range
Correct. All distances and ranges in the game are based on those two measurements (or a combination of them).

Quote:
-- To shoot, you have to roll above the number shown on the shooting cannon's mast (or is it supposed to be "equal to or above"?)
You must roll higher than the number to hit. For example, if your cannon had a rank of 3 you would need to roll a 4, 5, or 6 to hit with it.

Quote:
-- The die numbers on the target ship's masts have no bearing on whether or not the shot does damage; the damage is automatic if a successful hit is scored
Correct. Only the attacking ship's cannons determine whether a shot hits or not. Each hit eliminates one mast on the target ship.

There are some abilities that can affect this like ignoring hits or eliminating two masts with a single hit, but they're only on specific ships.

Quote:
Questions:
-- When does a ship sink? If it loses all its masts, it becomes a Derelict, so then does it take simply another successful hit to sink it?
Once a ship has lost all of its masts, one additional hit will sink it.

Quote:
-- Can a Derelict do anything besides scuttle itself?
It can wait to be towed, and there are some abilities that will still function because they don't require giving the ship an action.

If the derelict carries an Oarsman crew it can still move and try to limp to safety, and if it has a Shipwright it can repair itself.

Quote:
-- How many actions can a ship take in a turn? Can it shoot and move, or does it need to stop moving in order to shoot (essentially by doing each on seperate turns)?
Each ship gets one standard action, so to do more than that in a single turn you'll need to add crew abilities.

A Captain crew, for example, will allow it to move and then shoot in the same turn.

There are also a number of abilities that will allow a ship to be given an extra action or the same action twice, which effectively give the ship a second standard action for the turn. There's a hard limit of two standard actions per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Upton
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
javelin98 wrote:
My 11-year-old picked up a pile of Pirates stuff cheap ....

Lucky stiff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C K

CHESAPEAKE
Virginia
msg tools
Along the same lines as this question, can you destroy a ship with one Fire Action. IE if the ship only has 1 mast left and you fire with 2 cannons, both hitting, does the ship sink? or does it become a derelict, and then on your next turn you would have to fire again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
krukocp wrote:
Along the same lines as this question, can you destroy a ship with one Fire Action. IE if the ship only has 1 mast left and you fire with 2 cannons, both hitting, does the ship sink? or does it become a derelict, and then on your next turn you would have to fire again?
You can derelict and sink a ship with the same shoot action if you have enough cannons to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
I just got the game and I'm still confused about one part. So when you attack you have to roll higher than the die number of your own ship's mast and not your opponent's? That means the lower the die number, the better your crew, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
vypernight wrote:
I just got the game and I'm still confused about one part. So when you attack you have to roll higher than the die number of your own ship's mast and not your opponent's? That means the lower the die number, the better your crew, right?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vypernight wrote:
Correct. The mast numbers on the shooting ship are what matters, not the ones on the ship being shot at.

Lower printed numbers are better for shooting.
3 is "average" and gives you a 50/50 chance for a hit.
2 is the best printed value and is great for a gunship.
4 or higher generally pushes the ship into a cargo-carrying role unless you add a bunch of cannon boosts (+1 to die roll, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
Okay cool, thanks. However it seems strange that the nothing of the opponent can affect your ability to miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a little odd, but there are quite a few defensive abilities that can still come into play - being able to ignore the first hit you take, needing to be hit twice to lose each mast, being immune to L-range cannons, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
Another combat-related question I just thought of. One ship's special ability is that it's imminue to L range cannons. Does that mean only red cannons (S range) can hit it or any cannon can as long as it's within S range (meaning a cannon that's normally a red die can hit it short range but not long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vypernight wrote:
Another combat-related question I just thought of. One ship's special ability is that it's imminue to L range cannons. Does that mean only red cannons (S range) can hit it or any cannon can as long as it's within S range (meaning a cannon that's normally a red die can hit it short range but not long?
It means that only S-Range cannons can hit it.

L-Range cannons will automatically miss regardless of how far the ships are apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
Bummer, that means a ship with all L range cannons can't even touch it, even at S range. Hope they're god at boarding.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.