Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Tannenberg: Eagles in the East / Galicia: The Forgotten Cauldron» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Galicia Session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played this (via Vassal) with Bill and here is my impression. The game is interesting and a subject not covered by other games with a unique system that duplicates WWI combat very well at the operational level. The special rules for this particular game force the respective field armies of Russian and Austria-Hungary to head for specific objectives. The AH player is required to spend a certain amount of supply attacking the Russians. That's all fine. The sticky point is when the superior weight of numbers on the Russian side bears down on the AH player. In my game, fortunately at that point Bill did not object as I started to pull my units back. If I had not done so, he easily would have crushed a good part of the AH army. I guess in that situation I could have allowed him to take an objective, releasing me from the constraints. If I had done so, in retrospect giving up Stanislaw worth fewer points would have been the better option. I don't see much way the AH player can win, a draw is doing pretty good. Maybe if the AH player and really smash one of the Russian armies early in the game then hold Lemberg they have a chance.

What do others think who have played this? How have you applied the special scenario rules?

The below screen shot is from the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Dan! Playing with the historical "idiot" rules the Austrians can consider a draw a moral victory of sorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.