Subject: Alternatives to cubes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Schandl
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am looking for alternatives to the generic cubes, discs and other objects that some many games use to represent goods, workers, etc. I'd just love to play with e.g. tiny plastic bananas instead of yellow wooden cubes.

I browsed spielmaterial.de, boardsandbits.com and thegamecrafter.com, but there is not exactly what I am looking for and some of the more fitting bits are too big in comparison to the cubes they should replace. I even looked for Kinder surprise figures on e-bay.

As there are so many games that could make use of such things, this seems to me like a potentially profitable market niche that has yet to be covered. Maybe with the use of 3D printers people could fill this gap in the future?

Maybe some of you have other suggestions for replacing generic cubes with more fun alternatives?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
i like to use things like this
http://www.etsy.com/search?includes%5B%5D=tags&q=Banana+Bead...
when making up my own games. not only will it give you a pretty unique game, but it helps support small time crafters as well.. a lot of people on etse will give generous discounts if you are buying a lot of things as well and can customise anything you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
failing that there are hundreds of interesting looking beads online that you can use if you dont mind the hole through them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tons of novelty buttons out there...the good ones have a shank that you can cut off with those scissors the EMT uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that cube which spiral up would be nice or a pyramid+cube mix would be cool...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schandl
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beads and buttons, interesting ideas, wouldn't have thought of that, thanks!

Redward wrote:
I think that cube which spiral up would be nice or a pyramid+cube mix would be cool...

I don't know what you kind of cube you mean here, can you elaborate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyramid that has a flattened top instead of pointy.
Check out the "flat top pyramid:" support.google.com/sketchup/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=154069

OR

A cube like shape that sort of twists up. Instead of having 6 flat edges, it would have 2 flat sides that would form the top/bottom and 4 twisted sides that would form the sides.
www.sitdownny.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/automated/classics-t...

I also like the trash bits from Power grid. They have a nice shape to them and could work as a random bit in a lot of games.

You should look at Meeplesource.com and Boardsandbits.com as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Finca has some beautiful fruit bits, so someone makes them somewhere.

Depending on your ambition level, get a wood lathe, make some =].
I saw someone make a ton of sheep he carved in a ring, so a sheep ring, then cut the ring into ~50 sheep.

Not 100% on this one, but lego has made items... I wonder if it is possible to get small bulk on some accessories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schandl
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, lot of interesting hints here - for starters I went on a Lego item shopping spree, they have in fact tiny bananas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eigen
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You could try using modelling clay like Fimo?
All the models will be different, which is potentially a bonus.

I love Fimo. I love your idea, nice playing pieces make a more fun game (:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schandl
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eigen wrote:

Yeah, I saw Fimo some time ago, I especially liked the Primordial soup amoebas some have modeled for it

Guess I will give it a try once!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool shapes are neat and way way more expensive. Cubes are cheap. Really really cheap. That's why most games use them. But aftermarket pimp your game type stuff could work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought at Michaels's poker-chip sized painted wood die cut cows in anticipation of pimping Western Settlers. 25c each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eigen
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Schandi wrote:
Eigen wrote:

Yeah, I saw Fimo some time ago, I especially liked the Primordial soup amoebas some have modeled for it

Guess I will give it a try once!

Fimo Pandemic: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1182342/pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use tic-tacs for batteries in Galaxy Trucker. Eat them when you use them.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the wooden cubes and cut dowel pieces. It always gives me a feeling of cheapness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.