Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
If I Summon The Night, how many spaces can my opponent's Archangel move? I always interpreted as up to one but now I am not sure.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it as written. If Summon the Night said, "that Opponent's Units can move 1 less space than normal", then Archangels could move 2 spaces.

But, it says, "that Opponent's Units can only move up to 1 space each." No exceptions. So even Archangels can only move 1 space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
And, I agree. This is how I interpret it.

But what the Archangel says is - Move one additional space. So, I can see a case being made that it can move one additional space. If every body moves 2, he moves 3. If all the units can only move up to one space, he gets an additional space and moves two.

It is kinda important because I like the Shadow Elves and my son often play the Vanlosers.

Edit: I just asked my son this question without giving an opinion. He thinks the Archangel moves 2. I think he is wrong but I can't give a definitive answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got a good point, and I see how someone can argue that. (There are many units that can move one or more "additional space(s)", so it's not just Archangel, by the way.)

But the Summon the Night event is an absolute limit, both on movement and attacks. Yes, some pieces are enabled by their ability or an event to move additional spaces, but Summon the Night still limits all Movement Phase movement to just 1 space each. In a similar way, the Far Shot ability allows its unit to attack units up to 4 spaces away, but Summon the Night still disallows all attacks 2 or more spaces away, so Far Shot is overruled.

I'm not sure how to argue this from the syntax of the two cards, except to say that a prohibition overrules an extension, i.e. if multiple changes happen the strictest one dominates. It's like when we are visiting other people and my daughter wants a cookie: even if the hosts allow it, her parents must also allow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KevOne
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StN only allows opponent move max of 1 space each during movement phase.

"...that opponent's unit can only move up to 1 space each..."

It doesn't matter if any ability grants their unit to move 10 additional space. 1 space is the max.

edit: Hmm... Maybe you can explain to your son "If he is allow to spend only up to $1 dollar a day, that's the limit regardless how much money he has in his wallet." ... /shrug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Manning
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I love the geek. This question came up between my wife and I earlier in the day. Thanks to the OP and everyone who responded. I may have lost that particular round of Summoner Wars but I won the debate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.