Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only do I think Lannister are the most difficult to play in a 4 player game, I think that Lannister doing better puts pressure on Baratheon, which will help with balance in 4 players.

Lannister strategy goals: Don't get smashed by Greyjoy, position to contest southern areas with Baratheon in the mid-game.

Of course, this can only be accomplished through an alliance with Greyjoy. Here are my ideas:

1. Tell Greyjoy that Stark will attack him eventually no matter what. Stark coming down the neck and taking seawatch, riverrun, flint, etc. is immensely easier for Stark than trying to compete with Baratheon by sea. Baratheon has a larger starting navy and many more ports in the east than Stark. Even if Stark gets a momentary naval advantage in the east it won't last against Baratheon due to production. Stark will come down the neck at some point. Stark WILL attack Greyjoy eventually, and no one but Lannister can stop Baratheon from winning the game.

2. Once you've convinced, Greyjoy of #1, convince Greyjoy that taking the area around ironman's bay and heading north to winterfell before stark can get him makes lots of sense. Greyjoy can get there through boats along the west coast or walking through Moat Cailin.

3. Suggest a split, with Greyjoy taking Seawatch and everything north, and Lannister taking Riverrun and everything south. Letting Greyjoy get Riverrun leads to a lot of problems. Lannisport is hard to defend, and taking a couple Stark castles could win Greyjoy the game. You must take and keep Riverrun.

4. As Lannister with Riverrun and Lannisport, you need to send some units to get Highgarden, old town, harrenhal, crackclaw point, and either kings landing, seaguard, or another southern castle for your win. Do it before Greyjoy finishes smashing Stark, and before Baratheon takes a bunch of these areas!

Taking Highgarden and/or Old Town gives you a nice mustering base even if Greyjoy stops being your puppet and decides to smash your face in.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you put this strategy into practice yet? If so, how did it go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I did this with 6 players.
It worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not used the strategy. The only game I've played (four player) saw Greyjoy take Riverrun early, kick Lannister out of Lannisport, putting himself in good position but basically giving the game to Baratheon.

Kreikka, can you give us some more details on what you did and how it worked?

Also I theorized the strategy to use in a four player game, if you used it in 6 player, how did you deal with Tyrell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
hancock.tom wrote:
Kreikka, can you give us some more details on what you did and how it worked?

As the game was beginning, I whispered to Greyjoy that if I could have Riverrun, I wouldn't bother them. I explained that they would only have to deal with one enemy (Stark), while I would have to deal with the rest. Greyjoy accepted, but had a much harder time with Stark than I had with Tyrell. In the beginning I battled primarily with Baratheon, while biding my time to build up some strength. Then, after I reached an impasse with the stags, only managing to hold Kings Landing, I turned towards Tyrell. In the meantime, Baratheon was battling Stark at sea and Martell on land. Note that this was all 1st edition. I won with strongholds on the last or second to last turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this strategy, but I couldn't convince Greyjoy not to attack me. He briefly took Riverrun, but I eventually took it back because I made him waste his high strength cards early. Ultimately on turn 4 or 5 we agreed to split Seaguard and Rivverun, and he went North against Stark, but it was too late to stop Baratheon then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
r0gershrubber wrote:
I tried this strategy, but I couldn't convince Greyjoy not to attack me. He briefly took Riverrun, but I eventually took it back because I made him waste his high strength cards early. Ultimately on turn 4 or 5 we agreed to split Seaguard and Rivverun, and he went North against Stark, but it was too late to stop Baratheon then.

Yeah, I am not sure it is a good strategy, but it could be the best there is. Or, I got lucky. If not with Greyjoy, Lannister could try to ally with Stark & Martell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I wrote this, I intended it as a four player strategy. If either Martell or Tyrell are in the game, Greyjoy doesn't have strong reasons to ally with Lannister, and I don't think it works.

Anyone know of any other strategies with Lannister? Anyone have any success actually taking control of the seas from Greyjoy? I think if you got Ironman's bay, you'd have a nice chance of winning, but that doesn't seem likely without some help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.