Subject: Method for marking cards w/o damage or effect on shuffling? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With games like Agricola, A Few Acres of Snow, and many others having serious changes to the way the text on the card should be applied, I'd really like the ability to signal this properly. I don't want to mark up the cards directly, so I was thinking maybe something like a very small sticker could work? I would literally just want to effectively have an asterisk on these problem cards so that I and everyone else can know to look up more than just reading the card, or can be reminded that the card is played differently than the text indicates.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
card sleeves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming you don't want to sleeve them? I certainly wouldn't want to sleeve all the Agricola decks, but this is probably the best solution - sleeve them and tuck the corrected text inside. A post it note type of adhesive probably wouldn't damage the card, but I think it would impede shuffling.

For the record, I don't find shuffling my sleeved 7 Wonders cards difficult. I simply split the deck in two, and placed side by side press them together. The sleeve edges are slightly beveled and the two decks just slip together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, yes, I do sadly hate sleeves though that is the easiest solution (maybe the only one :/).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
I don't want to mark up the cards directly, so I was thinking maybe something like a very small sticker could work? I would literally just want to effectively have an asterisk on these problem cards so that I and everyone else can know to look up more than just reading the card, or can be reminded that the card is played differently than the text indicates.

Since card sleeves are out, I really think that drawing a small asterisk on the card would be much better than a sticker.

Having a sticker opens up the possibility to not only making the card more noticeable as modified, but it also might inhibit shuffling if the sticker starts to come off.

It's your game but if it was mine, the idea of the asterisk is probably best done by actually drawing an asterisk on the card.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halliday
United Kingdom
Herts.
flag msg tools
Overclock Epic Fail!
badge
Please note I am no longer very active on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:

It's your game but if it was mine, the idea of the asterisk is probably best done by actually drawing an asterisk on the card.

Or by using a small dry transfer symbol?

Make the transfer carefully with a rigid surface behind the card to avoid indenting it. If you change your mind the transfer can be removed with an eraser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Meepleplex wrote:
kjamma4 wrote:

Or by using a small dry transfer symbol?

Make the transfer carefully with a rigid surface behind the card to avoid indenting it. If you change your mind the transfer can be removed with an eraser.

Interesting -- do you know where I might be able to get something like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hobbs
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dry transfer is a great idea. I used Letraset letters long ago to do paste-up of ads before desktop publishing became available on computers. I see they're still around:

http://www.letraset.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.