Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
72 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Wargamer: Attacking the Religious Question with a Poll. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As the the Christmas Holidays are coming to an end, I was reflecting on the fact that the concept of Christmas is founded on the bedrock of religious views. As we know very well, a lot political events in the past and in the present were and still are justified by explanations of a religious nature.

I am curious to know how important is religion to the hundred plus individuals who consult the BGG Wargame sub domain regularly.

So I was divinely inspired devil in creating this poll to attempt to quantify religious beliefs in wargamers.

Those who refuse to answer will be sent to the purgatory for 100 000 years ... arrrh

Poll
What is your worldview on Religion ?
Monotheist: One True God, defended by an organized religion.
Religious Pluralism: All organized religions are equally valid.
Deist: God created everything, organized religion is unnecessary.
Agonist: God might, or might not, exist. Undecided.
Atheist: God does not exist.
Other: Please explain.
      167 answers
Poll created by Mallet


EDIT: "Agonist" is, naturally, "Agnostist". Too bad we can't modify the polls once they are "saved".



6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have the definitions of agnostic and atheist correct. And agnosticism is not a belief.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see how our new moderator handles this one.
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Your move.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am an atheist, but I also hold your pluralism definition.

I have nothing against religious people, and they are equally valid, but I don't share any of their beliefs.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeFranco
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
You don't have the definitions of agnostic and atheist correct. And agnosticism is not a belief.


Personally I voted for religious pluralism, but I think his definitions of agnostic and atheist are correct.

That said, I believe that even atheism is a belief system. They believe there is no God.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some mixture of 1, 2 and 3.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no God; only godliness. cool
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
I am God.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
I am God.
You are wrong, and right!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
30 
 Thumb up
0.03
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabool wrote:
Let's see how our new moderator handles this one.


It's a poll on the beliefs of those who frequent the wargame sub domain.

If someone tries to imply that this post should be sent elsewhere, I will tell him to go to Hell.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyD wrote:


Personally I voted for religious pluralism, but I think his definitions of agnostic and atheist are correct.

That said, I believe that even atheism is a belief system. They believe there is no God.


This is not entirely correct. Atheism can be defined as either a belief in no god, or a lack of belief in any god, which are logically two very different things.

(edit: atheists refer to these positions as "hard" and "soft" atheism, respectively.)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
sullafelix wrote:
calandale wrote:
I am God.
You are wrong, and right!


Dualism is the ONLY way. devil
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An atheist, but the definition is wrong. I have no belief in a god or gods.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tricky one; I don't believe in God because there is no evidence that he exists, but if he/she appeared in the sky all bearded, robed and angry I would naturally re-appraise the available evidence and become a theist.

So I guess a hardline agnostic?

Or atheist until proven otherwise?

Atheist then.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeFranco
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
There is no God; only godliness. :cool:


You are certainly welcome to believe that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeFranco
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
I am God.


Ego flying a little high right now? Did you just kick someone's butt in a game? :)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
aiabx wrote:


This is not entirely correct. Atheism can be defined as either a belief in no god, or a lack of belief in any god, which are logically two very different things.


The second (weaker) form strikes me as just a form of agnosticism.
And, most atheists of that 'flavor' tend to be making some argument
(when pressed) that it IS stronger - along the lines of seeing no
reason to believe, thus believing that it is highly unlikely.

All comes down to semantics (doesn't everything?), but I'd certainly
put that category into a belief that there is no God, without a
faith that there isn't (which is what the stronger form has, in the
end). One can believe without feeling certain.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeFranco
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
This is a tricky one; I don't believe in God because there is no evidence that he exists, but if he/she appeared in the sky all bearded, robed and angry I would naturally re-appraise the available evidence and become a theist.

So I guess a hardline agnostic?

Or atheist until proven otherwise?

Atheist then.


If you don't believe in God because there is no evidence he exists then you are laboring under a belief system, as we all are - because there is no evidence that he doesn't exist, either.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeFranco
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weateallthepies wrote:
An atheist, but the definition is wrong. I have no belief in a god or gods.


Then you believe there is no God.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
aiabx wrote:


This is not entirely correct. Atheism can be defined as either a belief in no god, or a lack of belief in any god, which are logically two very different things.


The second (weaker) form strikes me as just a form of agnosticism.
And, most atheists of that 'flavor' tend to be making some argument
(when pressed) that it IS stronger - along the lines of seeing no
reason to believe, thus believing that it is highly unlikely.

All comes down to semantics (doesn't everything?), but I'd certainly
put that category into a belief that there is no God, without a
faith that there isn't (which is what the stronger form has, in the
end). One can believe without feeling certain.


For me, my non-belief in god is just the same as my non-belief in anything else I have no evidence for that I may or may not even know about. It's an insignificant matter in my life.

Deep down, I truly believe there is no god, but that is a different thing I think.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard III
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
In order for this discussion to be useful at all you need to have a well-defined understanding of what "belief" means. Else you are going to end up going round in circles (some combination of 1, 2, and 3 for me, incidentally; I respect the traditions of others so long as they respect mine).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
aiabx wrote:


This is not entirely correct. Atheism can be defined as either a belief in no god, or a lack of belief in any god, which are logically two very different things.


The second (weaker) form strikes me as just a form of agnosticism.
And, most atheists of that 'flavor' tend to be making some argument
(when pressed) that it IS stronger - along the lines of seeing no
reason to believe, thus believing that it is highly unlikely.

All comes down to semantics (doesn't everything?), but I'd certainly
put that category into a belief that there is no God, without a
faith that there isn't (which is what the stronger form has, in the
end). One can believe without feeling certain.


Belief, in this context, implies firm conviction, at least as I understand it. For less absolute definitions of belief, yes, I agree wholeheartedly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyD wrote:
weateallthepies wrote:
An atheist, but the definition is wrong. I have no belief in a god or gods.


Then you believe there is no God.


If you like.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyD wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
This is a tricky one; I don't believe in God because there is no evidence that he exists, but if he/she appeared in the sky all bearded, robed and angry I would naturally re-appraise the available evidence and become a theist.

So I guess a hardline agnostic?

Or atheist until proven otherwise?

Atheist then.


If you don't believe in God because there is no evidence he exists then you are laboring under a belief system, as we all are - because there is no evidence that he doesn't exist, either.


Don't start with that claptrap.

I accept the null hypothesis, that something is NOT until I can prove that it IS, otherwise the world becomes a ludicrous mish-mash of fantasy imaginings.

I.e. Right now there are snakes inside your microwave. They exist because you haven't proven that they don't! Or right now there is a 100% real dragon living in the Mariana Trench. He's real because you haven't proven he isn't!

Do you see how that particular line of argument leads straight to the asylum?
21 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.