Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dark Moon» Forums » General

Subject: Links to all the files and rules (pending approval of files into database) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're chomping at the bit, here are links to all the files you need to make the game, as well as the current rules set. Enjoy!

Download BSG:Express Rules Here
Download the Game Board Here
Download the Cards Here
Download the Dice Labels and Markers Here
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A play aid with all the possible actions would be much appreciated for teaching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree thats something thats needed. I have a fugly one, but I'll have to make a nice, shiny one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Stich
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great was just about to ask where the cards etc are :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read the rules. It sounds cool, but I do have a quick question:

When you submit a die, it becomes public knowledge, right? So everyone can see that you submitted a -1 to the cause. Of course you could argue, "I didn't have anything else to give!" but submitting a die is optional, so you could just "pass" (of course, then everyone can accuse you of not submitting your good rolls, since unsubmitted rolls are kept in secret). Is that pretty much how it plays out? In BSG you have that added layer of not being sure exactly who submitted what. Does this make the cylons too easy to route out? Or is it such a short game that as long as the cylons can at least cast some doubt for a few turns, they can go ahead and reveal?

Sounds really good though. If both of my printers weren't already out of ink, I'd try to get it printed for game night tonight -- will have to wait until next week though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
When you submit a die, it becomes public knowledge, right? So everyone can see that you submitted a -1 to the cause. Of course you could argue, "I didn't have anything else to give!" but submitting a die is optional, so you could just "pass" (of course, then everyone can accuse you of not submitting your good rolls, since unsubmitted rolls are kept in secret). Is that pretty much how it plays out? In BSG you have that added layer of not being sure exactly who submitted what. Does this make the cylons too easy to route out? Or is it such a short game that as long as the cylons can at least cast some doubt for a few turns, they can go ahead and reveal?

Yes, the submitted dice are public knowledge. The one bit to clarify is that you have to pass BEFORE anyone rolls dice and submits them. I.e., you look at the crisis and decide if you want to go for it. If you agree to play, then submitting dice is not optional - you HAVE to play, even if the crisis has been passed before it gets to you. That's where the tension comes from.

Cylons are definitely not easy to route out, because humans will often end up being forced to submit negative dice. I've seen many a human get chucked in the brig simply for bad luck.

I would say the main difference between this version and the main game is that it requires a better poker face and acting ability. You can't hide behind the anonymity of the cards - if you chuck in a negative die on purpose, you have to be able to convince the other players that it was your only choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derrickec wrote:
The one bit to clarify is that you have to pass BEFORE anyone rolls dice and submits them.

Ahhh, and the wave of knowledge washes over me. That does sound great. I had one gamer in my group come up to me at tonight's session and implore me to get a copy made up so we can try it, and asked me if I'd make him a copy too, lol. I believe I should be able to get it played on Thursday, if I can get everything made up in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the express version would be better than the original game. Because I found the FFG very boring since I always had the feeling of doing nothing all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-marc Thibault
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
I hope the express version would be better than the original game. Because I found the FFG very boring since I always had the feeling of doing nothing all the time.

You probably aren't playing correctly! It's more of an experience than a game. That said, this seems like a fun way of streamlining the mechanics. Looking forward to comparing the rules. I think dice rolling risks becoming too dominant, and perhaps boring. People I play with like the way players have options through cards. Nice job nonetheless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Williams
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not the werewolf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh fantastic. I was close to buying the boardgame, but I think I'll stick with the fan made version.

Any recommendation on what to print/paste this to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jibbyjackjoe wrote:
Oh fantastic. I was close to buying the boardgame, but I think I'll stick with the fan made version.

Any recommendation on what to print/paste this to?

I would suggest you buy the boardgame anyways, especially if you like this one. My game is different, but it's no substitute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great if somebody could make an artscow deck of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba P.
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This game seems great, and after reading the development thread I feel the need for player screens - here's my idea for the cover picture : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rapidly read your rules, I'll have to test a few things to grasp the game, but still, I think your game is better than the original.

First, you can participate on all crisis check because there is no skills restrictions. So the only thing preventing you to participate is that you would have worked too hard on previous crisis. So it prevent the bug of having nothing to do because it all requires skills you do not have.

Second, the dice are submitted openly, so you can see if you have good chances of succeeding, and you can build up suspicions about other players more easily which increase the level of paranoia much more than in the original game.

So in general it looks interesting. There might be some adjustments to make but I'll have to test it for myself before making suggestions.

I would still prefer to have some place on the board with the list of actions available like in the original game. It makes it easier to know what you could do. But it is still not essential to the game play unless you prevent the same action from being taken twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
I rapidly read your rules, I'll have to test a few things to grasp the game, but still, I think your game is better than the original.

First, you can participate on all crisis check because there is no skills restrictions. So the only thing preventing you to participate is that you would have worked too hard on previous crisis. So it prevent the bug of having nothing to do because it all requires skills you do not have.

Second, the dice are submitted openly, so you can see if you have good chances of succeeding, and you can build up suspicions about other players more easily which increase the level of paranoia much more than in the original game.

So in general it looks interesting. There might be some adjustments to make but I'll have to test it for myself before making suggestions.

I would still prefer to have some place on the board with the list of actions available like in the original game. It makes it easier to know what you could do. But it is still not essential to the game play unless you prevent the same action from being taken twice.

I look forward to your feedback once you've tried the game out. I'm putting together a player aid, so once that's done I'll be sure to post it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a typo on You are a Cylon 2 - damage is spelled incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
Got a typo on You are a Cylon 2 - damage is spelled incorrectly.

Thanks for catching that! I'll have to update it when I upload the next file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only complain so far is that it could be harder to assemble the dice.

For the skill dice, this is not to bad because you could change the pip configuration on regular dice and draw a minus sign on the face for negative values.

For the crisis dice, you need to glue the faces. Else, I would suggest placing the crisis dice on small cards. That would make a total of 12 cards which should not be so hard to assemble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba P.
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've been thinking of simplifying the dice situation too. Gonna orded blanks from the UK anyway, but what about that:

Make a list of 11 crises numbered from 2 to 12, active player rolls two dice and the outcome is the crisis? Also, s/he is able to reroll if the outcome is unsatisfactory. Sense some good acting opportunities here ; )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba P.
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
wrote:
Thanks for catching that! I'll have to update it when I upload the next file.

And please fix the description on Kara's card too - it's a bit ambiguous as to how often her ability can be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Make a list of 11 crises numbered from 2 to 12, active player rolls two dice and the outcome is the crisis? Also, s/he is able to reroll if the outcome is unsatisfactory. Sense some good acting opportunities here ; )

Much more simple, make 12 cards (copy each die face of both dice on a separate card). Draw 2 cards, choose 1.

To have less random results, you could continue to draw from the deck until the deck has X cards and then reshuffle. Ex: if the deck only has 4 cards left, reshuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba P.
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree. The card solution seems simpler. And I also like the reshuffling idea, although I think going down to four is too low. Maybe a 6 or even na 8 could be it : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Were are trying to assemble a quick prototype to play test today. Since I don't have a printer, somebody printed the stuff and I supplied the markers, made the dice out of labels on wood cube and copied crisis dice on cards. Here is what it looks

It's far from being a master piece but it should be playable.

As for the tokens, I intend to fold and glue them directly on a sheet of card board and then cut them. I never though of folding printouts on card board. I'll see if it works well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
τὰ ὄντα ἰέναι τε πάντα καὶ μένειν οὐδέν
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you got me.

Blank dice ordered. Now to get over how lazy I can be about these things.

And to make a neat box to put everything in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxes is a pain, I never found a store that actually sell boxes that works well for board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.