Subject: Confusion with "How I learned to stop worrying" card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game of TS and loved it! We were a bit confused as to how the "How I learned to stop worrying" card works.

The text on the card is: "Set the DEFCON at any level you want (1-5). This event counts as 5 Military Operations for the purpose of required Military Operations."

What's the point of the second sentence?Does it mean
a) that if I play it for OPS (for 2 points) and perform a coup, I'd be awarded 5 military operations points, instead of 2?
b) that if I play it as the event, I'd set the DEFCON level anywhere and then gain 5 military ops points?
c) something else?

The US player played b), but we're not 100% sure it was correct.

Thx in advance for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play the card for OPs then the event is not triggered.

If you play the card for the event, set the DEFCON level where you want and award yourself 5 Military Ops points (up to the maximum).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Vasquez
Colombia
Medellin
Antioquia
flag msg tools
100% Pure Colombian Geek
badge
Colombia is waiting for you, would you take the risk? (Video in my profile)
mbmbmbmbmb
The correct answer is b to gain the 5 military ops you have to play it as event.

This card is really useful at the end of the round when your opponent think you can't gain points from Military stuff. You play it put the DEFCON at five and then you win 5 Military Ops and if you totally got your opponent out of base 5 VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
The card can also be used to allow coups etc.

In theory, it could also be used to trigger nuclear war but I cannot imagine how one could play the event when the opponent is the phasing player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for the replies guys, really apreciated.

I think the card would've been clearer saying something like "gain 5 military operations points" as opposed to the current wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In theory, it could also be used to trigger nuclear war but I cannot imagine how one could play the event when the opponent is the phasing player.

USSR plays Star Wars with the US ahead on the Space Race and How I Learned in the discard pile. Equally, USSR plays Grain Sales and How I Learned gets picked out of their hand. Probably others...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NasosP wrote:
Thx for the replies guys, really apreciated.

I think the card would've been clearer saying something like "gain 5 military operations points" as opposed to the current wording.

That would be even less clear I think. The card says 'This event counts ....' which means the event triggers it which only happens if it is played for the event.

There is an errata file posted here that is mainly redundant as it applies to the first edition. However it does contain more details of how some cards work that you may find useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfinger wrote:
That would be even less clear I think. The card says 'This event counts ....' which means the event triggers it which only happens if it is played for the event.

Well, in my mind "This event counts as 5 Military Operations for the purpose of..." would be more meaningful in the case of a situation ready to be triggered by an event. Moving a superpower's military points counter isn't normally triggered by an event, hence the confusion. I guess.

Again, thx for all the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NasosP wrote:
Halfinger wrote:

Well, in my mind "This event counts as 5 Military Operations for the purpose of..." would be more meaningful in the case of a situation ready to be triggered by an event. Moving a superpower's military points counter isn't normally triggered by an event, hence the confusion. I guess.

Again, thx for all the help.

The "war" cards also move one country's MilOp counter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:

Exactly! And the cards read "Player (or USSR) adds 2 to military ops track". That's why I expected a similar text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NasosP wrote:
azuredarkness wrote:

Exactly! And the cards read "Player (or USSR) adds 2 to military ops track". That's why I expected a similar text.

The rules and some cards are peppered with inconsistent wording so I tend to ignore other card word usage. The bit 'for the purposes of...' is completely redundant and only likely to confuse which is what happened with you. For me its a great game and after reading horrible and bloated rules from companies such as FFG the rules for TS are generally good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the necro-raising this thread but I think nasops is onto something here.

I tried to use how I stop worrying and then arms race for a quick 3vp.
But then there's that strange text. "Counts as 5 at the end of the turn". So ok, you're never gonna be penalized at the end of the turn, but that doesn't mean you get to advance the milops ticker and get some other benefits like the one in arms race.

What do you think? Is there any official resolution about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogetoorn
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmb
zosete wrote:
Sorry for the necro-raising this thread but I think nasops is onto something here.

I tried to use how I stop worrying and then arms race for a quick 3vp.
But then there's that strange text. "Counts as 5 at the end of the turn". So ok, you're never gonna be penalized at the end of the turn, but that doesn't mean you get to advance the milops ticker and get some other benefits like the one in arms race.

What do you think? Is there any official resolution about this?

Yes, the wording in the DeLuxe version is a bit different, but it means that the 5 MOP are only available when checking the required MOPs at the end of the turn. They can't be used to profit from Arms Race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AH. So the MilOps marker isn't moved when this event gets played, then? We'll stop doing that.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogetoorn
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
AH. So the MilOps marker isn't moved when this event gets played, then? We'll stop doing that.

Eco

Exactly :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.