Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a solid start on an "administrator" tool to allow someone to run a PBeM or PBF game of Eclipse. It does not allow for the administrator to play. It is Excel-based, and intended to allow someone to run the game without leaving it physically set up (or even setting it up at all), manually shuffling tiles, making picks, rolling dice, etc. It is automated and "lesser idiot-proof" - meaning that there is always a greater idiot.

Anyway, is there interest in this in the community? I am striving towards running a game PBeM and seeing how it goes as a test case (in the not-too-distant future).

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Volker, where are you located? Maybe by incident, we live close and can make a real game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Near Dortmund/Germany - we always like having new players on the table.

Having two little daughters the time for "real" playing is limited. That is why I am so interested PbF/PbEM at the moment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be interested in playing and moderating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The link is in German, but I had an Excel version designed as well. We would have used an internet diceroller (also for drawing cards) to get rid of the moderator:

http://www.dsa-larp.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=2233

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
VolkoV wrote:
The link is in German, but I had an Excel version designed as well. We would have used an internet diceroller (also for drawing cards) to get rid of the moderator:

http://www.dsa-larp.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=2233

The spreadsheet is pretty easy to understand, using geekroll it should be possible to play and mod with people knowing you're not cheating.

Example: Drawing a sector 2 tile Sector 2 Tile 200+1d11 = 200 + (11) = 211

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 68374. david707
  • 200+1d11 =
  • 200 + (11) =
  • Sector 2 Tile
  • Mon Jan 2, 2012 9:27 pm
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm aware I may be accused of shamelessly advertising my own stuff, but I think you guys may be interested in iOS version of Eclipse that will be available this year on the App Store:

http://www.bigdaddyscreations.com/products/eclipse/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Mülheim an der Ruhr
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also very interested playing by mail or forum!

Hosting the game as administrator is not possible due to my limited time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, make a post, then watch your thread get hijacked. LOL

Here is the link to my work in progress - strictly a DRAFT version.

http://www.providethecaption.com/EclipsePBeM.xlsm

It uses macros to automate many of the steps in the game.

Again, work in progress. Suggestions, ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have permission from the game rights owners?

b005t3r wrote:
I'm aware I may be accused of shamelessly advertising my own stuff, but I think you guys may be interested in iOS version of Eclipse that will be available this year on the App Store:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdmers wrote:
Do you have permission from the game rights owners?

b005t3r wrote:

Of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Levty
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm interested in playing, got a question though:

Since I don't possess a copy of the game, and my friend who owns it wouldn't be too fond of lending it for a prolonged period of time, would it be possible to state what is on each hex after drawing it? Hex numbers alone wouldn't be too helpful without access to the actual hexes.

Thank in advance for the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camelorn
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested in playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be up for playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
b005t3r wrote:

No Android version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
No Android version?

If only somebody gave me a penny every time I hear that question... I would had like 10 pennies by now!

Seriously, many people talks about Android, many people asks about Android versions of iOS games, but all those people disappear when you look at the sales reports of Android apps. Can somebody explain that to me?

The answer is 'No Android version in the near future'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Szabadi
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b005t3r wrote:

This will be a single player version or there will be some kind of multi player mode in there? Maybe play-by-email support?

Damned... I have to buy an iPhone only for this? :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b005t3r wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
No Android version?

If only somebody gave me a penny every time I hear that question... I would had like 10 pennies by now!

Seriously, many people talks about Android, many people asks about Android versions of iOS games, but all those people disappear when you look at the sales reports of Android apps. Can somebody explain that to me?

The answer is 'No Android version in the near future'.

I wonder if you know what the numbers are for Elder Sign. It's one of a few new games that has an Android and iOS version. I wasn't particularly interested in the game, but bought it just because it was a reasonable price to try it out, and was hoping that if more people think like I do it would send a message to mobile game developers that we do exist and want to buy games on Android.

I recognize that it's a conundrum. Neither company (Apple or Google) makes it easy to develop cross-platform apps, so it can be a huge investment to develop for both. Apple has the proven market - iPhone and iPad users have already paid a lot for their devices and have shown that they won't bat an eye at paying for apps. Basically, developing for Android is a much bigger risk. I get that.

But it's still disheartening that most of the development of digital board games is being done for a closed platform with a prohibitive cost of entry. If I've already decided I like Android and have an Android phone, getting a device to play these games would cost ~$800. As much as I want portable digital board games, it's just not worth it.

It's a tough and annoying situation, but I know that we can't blame the developers who want to target a proven market instead of taking the much greater risk on Android.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the numbers, maybe somebody else does? But if I remember correctly, some other company gave made their figures public and their Android profit was about 5% percent of iOS profit. So there's not really much to discus here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
5% sounds really low to me. iOS apps do sell better than Android apps, but not by that wide a margin: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/12/ios-revenues-vs-andro...

According to that article, the Apple store generated about 6 times as much total revenue for the month of November, but also had about 1.7 times as many total apps. Do the division, and the average iOS app sells about 3.5 times better than the average Android app.

Of course, those are overall figures. Maybe for games the market disparity is wildly different; I wouldn't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this may be true when it comes to apps like Angry Birds or Cut the Rope, but not for every app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Sparrrrow
msg tools
mb
Make this damn Android app and then say that nobody want to buy it.
Now you say that people talks about Android apps and doesn't buy it, but you are already not selling any of them... There are much more boardgame apps on iOS than Android, so people spends more money for Apple. Without pretty good apps this would not change. Add network multiplayer and earn good money, it's simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Still no reply from Łukasz to my question about whether this would be a sanctioned Eclipse app or a knockoff....

Edit: Owning my shame. Łukasz DID respond. Immediately. After. My. Original. Post. Jeez. Public apology added as well as PM apology sent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdmers wrote:
Still no reply from Łukasz to my question about whether this would be a sanctioned Eclipse app or a knockoff....

Other than the post where he replied directly to your question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.