Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused about the not in the Dragons expansion FAQ saying that Monarch city can become tainted if you place a 4th minion in there. To wit:

"The official answer is yes; adding a 4th Minion (or 3 Demons, or 3 of any minion plus an On Fire Token) will taint Monarch City causing them to lose the game."

I'm a little confused by this since the base game rules say explicitly that Monarch city does not cause taint crystals or overruns. Is there something in the Dragon expansion that says otherwise that I missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I'm a little confused about the not in the Dragons expansion FAQ saying that Monarch city can become tainted if you place a 4th minion in there. To wit:

"The official answer is yes; adding a 4th Minion (or 3 Demons, or 3 of any minion plus an On Fire Token) will taint Monarch City causing them to lose the game."

I'm a little confused by this since the base game rules say explicitly that Monarch city does not cause taint crystals or overruns. Is there something in the Dragon expansion that says otherwise that I missed?

Richard seems to have several different opinions about tainting Monarch City. In addition to the base games rules and the expansion FAQ, he has also provided this answer to similar question:

Quote:
OVERRUNSs and TAINTED LANDs

Can Monarch City become tainted?

Monarch City cannot become tainted unless 3 Demons were to be located on it since the placing a minion is always allowed. I have never seen 3 demons in Monarch City and think though it may be possible, it is highly unlikely.

House Rule: If, in the unlikely event Monarch City did become tainted by 3 Demons, I would rule that the tarnished city has fallen and the heroes have failed to defend the realm - resulting in an immediate loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, here is the full quote:

Quote:
The decision about the tainting of Monarch City being a game ending condition is one best left to each player group according to the rule they wish to agree upon as a House Rule. It is my opinion that adding the automatic loss condition (especially against the Dragon Generals) may be too harsh for some groups.
So, below is my viewpoint on the options that players can decide upon. I personally use #1, ending the game but see why many may prefer #2 as a House Rule. Those of you seeking an official rule, it would be #1.

1) Anytime Monarch City becomes tainted the game ends and the players failed to defend the realm. This can only occur through Red Minions (3 Demons present or Fire Elementals flaming the location with 3 minions of any type present, but most likely Fire Elementals) as both have the ability to taint without an overrun.

Thematic perspective: This represents the doom of the last stronghold in realm and the destruction of the Royal Council - all hope is lost for mankind.

OR

2) If Monarch City is tainted by Demons or On Fire Conditions, play continues - the game does not end.

Thematic perspective: The Tainting of Monarch City is limited to the land outside of the walls of the city, walls that contain magical gems protecting the inhabitants from the toxic air. The Royal Council continues to direct the war and fight, even though the city is under siege by the Dark Lord's minions.

Thanks for playing - Richard Posted Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:57 am

As you may note, this response was provided after the release of the Dragon Expansion and just before the release of the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I actually found that (after posting this), but that thread is just dealing with 3 demons or taint due to fire, while the FAQ posting seems to say you add taint (and lose) when adding a 4th minion period (which of course is simply 1 less than you would lose with anyway), so I was confused about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Richard will chime in with his latest position?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The great thing about getting older is that while you can't remember everything you say (or write) most people just smile understanding that you are getting older. Unfortunately that is not a good excuse for confusing rules, so I will try and clear that up here.

Unless playing a scenario that states otherwise, the tainting of Monarch City can only occur with the appearance of 3 Demons or 2 Demons if the city is On-Fire. Additionally, if Monarch City becomes tainted, the game does not end (once again, unless stated otherwise in a scenario). Any other minion types in the city, even if 4 are present, will not taint the city.

Since I am discovering that we can write many scenarios for different playing experiences, I want to keep the ability to bend rules to meet the scenario story.

Hope this clears up things, and sorry for any confusion.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks once again for your unequalled support of your games. Really looking forward to trying all the levers and buttons on this expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.