Eyal Peleg
Israel
flag msg tools
I am looking for an old game I knew by the name "territory" (but it is possible that this was not the "real" name of the game.

I remember this game from about 25 or 30 years ago,
And I would be glad to find it s I could play it with my kids.
I tried to search the web and found nothing.

There was a game board sized 5x5,
On the board you would arrange cards face down.
Two (brown) cubes ,one of which was from 1 to 5 and an asterisk and the other from A to E and an asterisk,
A roll of the dice could mark a specific spot on the board (eg B4) , a choice of any spot in a specific column or row (eg A* or 3*) or any sport on the entire board (a double asterisk).

Upon first landing on a specific spot, the card would be revealed and marked with a kind of plastic marker that looked like a plus sign (+) with a small circle on its center.

Next time you arrive to one of your squares you can buy little plastic hats and place them on top of the marker's little circle.

When you landed inside the "territory" of someone else you had to pay him according to the amount of these hats one all the connected (sides touching) marked cards he owned.

THe cards where labeled with mineral names and had different values and different colors
(From what I remember: Gold - Pink - 1000, Oil - Black -750, I think that three hundred was zinc - you get the idea).

As you have built a larger territory others would pay you more when they enter it.

It was a game somewhat like the monopoly for the construction of these hats a bit reminiscent of the houses of the monopoly,
And because currency were part of the game.

Does anybody have any idea where to get this game or can add more details?

Thanks,
Eyal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a starting point: http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/4078804.html.

I'll see if I can find anything else, because this sounds interesting.

EDIT: I thought I recognized the name on that patent. These are the same people who made Number Rumba!, a game I've been "researching" with eBay and auction site pictures.

Here's the designer's page for it: http://theoradesign.com/product?id=58, which shows the 1979 edition was released in Israel by Buki Toys under the name Territory.

It looks like it was rethemed as Movies and Money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eyal Peleg
Israel
flag msg tools
Thanks, This is exactly what I was looking for.

now I will have to see if there is a chance to find a copy of this game.
I will try to call Buki Toys today and see where it gets me,
If not then maybe I will be able to find it via the designers.

Thanks for a very very good answer.

If I might ask - how did you get to it? because I did try to find this on my own and failed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hy Septyn

Great work.

I tried to help Eyal find this game without success before you assisted. It seems that you had no knowledge of the game. Just for future cases, can you describe how did you find it?

Thanks

Septyn wrote:
Here's a starting point: http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/4078804.html.

I'll see if I can find anything else, because this sounds interesting.

EDIT: I thought I recognized the name on that patent. These are the same people who made Number Rumba!, a game I've been "researching" with eBay and auction site pictures.

Here's the designer's page for it: http://theoradesign.com/product?id=58, which shows the 1979 edition was released in Israel by Buki Toys under the name Territory.

It looks like it was rethemed as Movies and Money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP's description was really the key. Eyal gave tons of important details. Vague, undetailed posts are usually harder to figure out.

Also, I do this sort of thing a lot. I research board games on the internet, trying to piece together components and rules through eBay pictures, reviews, and the occasional email. I also have a brown belt in Google Fu and a lot of patience. (Sometimes the info I'm looking for is on page 14 or 15....)

In this case, I think I did a couple preliminary searches on Google, and eventually refined it to territory "board game" -risk -catan oil gold. If you do that now, this thread is on the first page, and the patent link is on the second. From experience I know patents are a great way to learn about board games, so I followed the link and saw the patent description was almost identical to the OP's description.

EDIT: I forgot to mention my first search was on the Geek. Helpful people have tagged games with really useful tags like "5 by 5", which is where I started. There was a Geek List that I surfed through but nothing looked like the description, so that's when I went to Google.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Septyn wrote:
The OP's description was really the key. Eyal gave tons of important details. Vague, undetailed posts are usually harder to figure out.

Also, I do this sort of thing a lot. I research board games on the internet, trying to piece together components and rules through eBay pictures, reviews, and the occasional email. I also have a brown belt in Google Fu and a lot of patience. (Sometimes the info I'm looking for is on page 14 or 15....)

In this case, I think I did a couple preliminary searches on Google, and eventually refined it to territory "board game" -risk -catan oil gold. If you do that now, this thread is on the first page, and the patent link is on the second. From experience I know patents are a great way to learn about board games, so I followed the link and saw the patent description was almost identical to the OP's description.

EDIT: I forgot to mention my first search was on the Geek. Helpful people have tagged games with really useful tags like "5 by 5", which is where I started. There was a Geek List that I surfed through but nothing looked like the description, so that's when I went to Google.

thumbsup For your dedication to helping others and your superb searching capabilities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through Google and the 5 by 5 geeklist. Probably the addition of gold and oil gave you the edge.

I'm probably a white belt googler

Anyway, great work

Septyn wrote:
The OP's description was really the key. Eyal gave tons of

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.