Popular Tags: [View All]
Marko Marinkovic
Serbia
Kragujevac
Sumadija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm a taxi driver, and during long night shifts with no work I get bored to death. I've already read more books than a local library has to offer. Considering small confines of the car, and the possibility of being interrupted in the middle of the game by work (and wish to continue latter), please recommend something solitaire for me, PnP if applicable.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nintendo DS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Reiner Knizia's Decathlon

There are pnp files, you might want to get a box to roll the dice in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah - iPhone with tons of free games and most others at 99 cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iPhone would have been my first recommendation, but I was guessing that a DS would be much cheaper than iPhone. And [ahem] I'm guessing most people in Serbia don't buy software anyway, so the $.99 draw doesn't matter much. But I'm sure BGG users are the exception, so your suggestion is much better! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
iPhone would have been my first recommendation, but I was guessing that a DS would be much cheaper than iPhone. And [ahem] I'm guessing most people in Serbia don't buy software anyway, so the $.99 draw doesn't matter much. But I'm sure BGG users are the exception, so your suggestion is much better! ninja

Cowardly slur! arrrh

Regardless, it's a little harder to pirate DS cartridges because they are physical objects. The games are much more expensive, and after a few games, you have paid for the up front price difference. If you don't care to pay the phone data plan plan rates, an iTouch solves that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
it's a little harder to pirate DS cartridges because they are physical objects.

When I first moved to China and visited the markets with my kids, I was bombarded by vendors trying to sell me pirated Nintendo games. It's not hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
+1 Nintendo DS. Low cost for the system and better battery life than iPod/iPhone. Plus you can instantly pause any game just by closing the clamshell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
New World Colony is a solo PnP game where you can still continue when interrupted. You simply use paperclips to mark your points/resources.

Another one is Zed Deck, which is also a solo PnP game. You easily mark you points with the same method as above. Also, easy to pick up after interruption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Marinkovic
Serbia
Kragujevac
Sumadija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I wanted video games, I'd be asking somewhere else . . .

@Damien: thanks, will get around to check these out . . .

Keep firing suggestions . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, thing is, a car seat isn't very amenable to board games. And on iPhone (admittedly not so much on DS) you can play many electronic versions of actual boardgames. And the pieces won't slide all over the seat. And most/all are solo-friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Foerster
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious answer here is Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Foerster
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, though, Roll Through the Ages would work ... in fact most Yahtzee type games could qualify. If you're playing during taxi downtime ... does this mean it must solo? That's another plus for RTtA. If you've got a companion then that opens it up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Marinkovic
Serbia
Kragujevac
Sumadija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewfoerster wrote:
The obvious answer here is Arkham Horror.

ROFL!!!!!

I haven't had such a good laugh in ages . . . Thanks for making my day . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Marinkovic
Serbia
Kragujevac
Sumadija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately it has to be solo . . . and as far as electronic games go, I play those on my GPS unit, but it is just not the same . . . it is like reading e-book VS printed book . . . printed kicks e's arse big time . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Nah - iPhone with tons of free games and most others at 99 cents
Well. If price is the only issue and one wouldn't buy games anyway ...
Spoiler (click to reveal)

I think it's quite stupid to get a (new) DS now though. Get a 3DS instead. They play DS games to anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.