David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know most people say the game is best as a 2p game, but we had a 3rd guy appear that really wants to try it out too and we'd like to accommodate him.

So, what's the best way to conduct a 3p game where none of us has much experience? The goal is just to learn and have fun rather than to make it as competitive as possible.

1. Use the official 3p rules (somewhat complex/constraining)
2. Just take turns doing action dice (simpler approach)
3. Play it as if it were 2p, but let them discuss what to do

If one of us was an expert I'd say let him sit out and referee the other two, but in this case nobody has more than 1 play.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are all new to the game simply play 2-player game with teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed.

Once you're familiar witht he game, then play two-on-one and have the 2 player team jointly decide what to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have second edition, yet, but if the three player rules in it are the same as the first edition, then I would suggest using the three player rules.

1)It is thematic. Sauron and Saruman not having an exact coordination of effort works well in the context of the story.

2)It will give a new Free Peoples player a better chance. It is slightly more difficult to play FP (in my opinion), especially for a new player. If you have a less focused Shadow side, it will balance more evenly.

3)It will be more enjoyable. I don't like playing games where multiple people are playing what was meant for one person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ended up using the 3p rules, but were a bit loose about it. It was supposed to be a learning game, so I didn't monitor too closely whether they may have used a die on an allied army at some point.

Went pretty well, I posted a session report that's pending mod review now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.