Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bb [+] [View All]
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The burrito boy is a fan of Monopoly, but he'll freely concede that it's not without flaws.

"Know what's lame?"

"If Nibbles got hit by a car and had to have a little cat wheelchair because her legs were broken?"

"That's not lame."

"Yeah, it's like the definition of lame. Can't walk."

"Oh." [Rolls eyes.] "Well, know what's lame about this version of Monopoly?"

"... No."

"There's a Chance card which says, `Take a ride on the Reading; if you pass Go, collect $200.' But there's no Chance space between Go and the Reading Railroad, so it's not possible to not pass Go. It should say `when you pass Go, collect $200.'"

"That's the only thing you don't like about Monopoly!?"

"Yep."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Good luck explaining what lamé were A-L-L about! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
You really expect anything better from this kid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
"There's a Chance card which says, `Take a ride on the Reading; if you pass Go, collect $200.' But there's no Chance space between Go and the Reading Railroad, so it's not possible to not pass Go. It should say `when you pass Go, collect $200.'"

If, while moving your token, you have a heart attack and die, your estate is not entitled to the $200. So, it really is an if rather than a when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I played Monopoly this weekend for the first time in ~30 years. We used the classy Winning Moves edition, and played with the published rules. I have a lot of great memories about Monopoly, and was eager to play it again.

My wife gets the dark purple properties early. While she keeps landing on f-in' Electric Company in my f-in' violet block, I have no problem landing on her pimped-out spaces. On what was to be my last turn, I land on the hotel on Baltic yet again. My daughter then proceeds to land on Meditteranean with doubles, then, after paying out, rolls m-f-in' snake eyes. Welcome to Monopoly, little girl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Monopoly continues to be one of the biggest selling games of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait...maybe I'm being a bit naive here, but if there were a chance space between GO and the Reading, it would be the only way you WOULDN'T pass go when you pulled that card.

This makes no sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
Wait...maybe I'm being a bit naive here, but if there were a chance space between GO and the Reading, it would be the only way you WOULDN'T pass go when you pulled that card.

This makes no sense.

Reading is the first Railroad after Go. If there are no Chance spaces between them, then you'll already be past Reading when you draw a card, forcing you past Go again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:

This makes no sense.

Reading is the first Railroad after Go. If there are no Chance spaces between them, then you'll already be past Reading when you draw a card, forcing you past Go again.

Oh man, I totally mis-read the post. Big fail. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, we actually got 2 days into the new year before someone started a 'Monopoly sucks' thread! That's longer than I expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Wow, we actually got 2 days into the new year before someone started a 'Monopoly sucks' thread! That's longer than I expected.

i am a big fan of Monopoly - havn't played it in over 30 years I would guess, but man I loved it as a kid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
clockwerk76 wrote:
Oh man, I totally mis-read the post. Big fail

If it makes you feel any better, that's the only thing that kuhrusty's son hates about you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

Next thing you know, he'll think he can take you. I think now is the time to make sure he never makes it passed Go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
On the other hand, there is a 'Community Chest' space between GO and this Railroad.

I haven't played Monopoly for a day or two (or maybe twenty years) but I seem to recall that there is a CC card which enables you to draw a Chance card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmm... I personally don't mind that there's a if-then statement on the card. To me it makes sense but I think I have a programming-like mind.

I personally have only played Monopoly a few times in my life... but I have never finished a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

It's the international edition. In the Southern Hemisphere, you move counter-clockwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
It's probably written that way for consistency with other similar game situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Obviously he is not a member of BGG. If he were he'd demand a reprint of the "broken" card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
It's probably written that way for consistency with other similar game situations.

Yeah, or they're keeping their options open for future expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
My daughter then proceeds to land on Meditteranean with doubles, then, after paying out, rolls m-f-in' snake eyes. Welcome to Monopoly, little girl!

We played Monopoly this weekend at the kids request. Similar to what happened to your daughter, my son landed on Ventnor (which my daughter had loaded with 4 houses), barely survived, then rolled a 2 to land on Marvin Gardens, which had a hotel on it. He burst into tears, then my daughter started crying because we declared the game over. She was going to get 4 monopolies with plenty of money to develop them, so it really was over, but she didn't want to miss out on a chance to cry. With both the winner and the loser crying we decided to never play again. When they asked to play the next day, we just laughed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
dbucak wrote:
When they asked to play the next day [...]

Yup, my story ends the same way. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:

And I wonder how many New Year's resolutions revolve around never playing it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'll always like Monopoly since it was the first board game I ever played. I was 4 I think,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
dbucak wrote:
With both the winner and the loser crying we decided to never play again. When they asked to play the next day, we just laughed.

What? Are you mad? A game that provokes emotion strong enough for tears, that's a brilliant winner. Of COURSE they wanted to play again. So would I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At any given moment at Disney, look around, about a quarter of the kids are crying.. hungry, feet hurt, sick, ate too much, fell down, didnl;t get the ride they wanted to go on..... kids often like things that made them cry.

Heck, look at object anxiety.. my son shrieked/bawled the first time he saw a frog toy (age 18 months).. two years later we walk downstairs and there he is playing with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.