Subject: Nyarlathotep Defeated With Only 3 Doom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player #1: Monterey Jack (gain an extra unique item when get at least 1)
Player #2: Jenny Barnes (discard card or clue to gain yelow + red dice)
GOO: Nyarlathotep (add mask monsters to the cup)

Not 100% sure about which happened on which turn (especially later on), but it went something like this:

Right out of the gate during setup, we draw an adventure capturing a yellow die. Player 1 doesn't think he can beat it, so goes after an easy adventure that gives him clue. Player 2 attempts an adventure, but fails without any clue tokens. Player 1 uses the clue tokens to defeat the adventure freeing up the yellow die. Player 2 decides to use a spell and defeats the adventure without using up the spell die -- leaving it for player 1.

Midnight strikes and two monsters appear -- a cultist and a ghoul, who make two adventures easier, since they are easier than the white spaces they covered up. Still no doom.

At this point, player 1 decides to go after the adventures that give unique items in order to maximize his use of his special ability. He chooses a particularly difficult 9 investigation adventure, and uses the spell die (with 3 investigation), but it still takes 2 spent clue to roll the remaining 6 investigation. Player 2 has built up more spells than needed, so uses them to get yellow and red dice using her special ability.

Two more rounds of this, midnight strikes, and 1 monster appears. It's a mask monster, and a nasty one. Some elder sign adventures start to appear, as does an otherworld adventure with two elder signs. Still no doom.

By the time midnight strikes again, 5 elder signs are captured in an elder sign fury. Unfortunately, player 1 is short on sanity and clues, so he needs to take a turn an trophies to heal. (In addition, there was an adventure that would make him lose his last sanity at midnight.) It seems a waste of 2 trophies to heal a second sanity point to his max of 3, but he's got 12 by now -- 8 from adventures and 4 from monsters. Player 2 gets more resources. Player 1 goes after more clue. Player 2 gets an elder sign.

By now, there are so many resources on the table that it's easy. All in all, 11 elder signs were obtained by the 6th striking of midnight -- 10 from adventures and 1 from a stack of trophies. During this time, only 2 doom was added by mythos cards and 1 from a successful adventure (with great awards to compensate) -- only having 1 monster appear due to the doom track. Only twice was an adventure failed -- once on player 2's first turn and once because the failure condition was tolerable (losing 1 sanity out of 5 left).

That this session was easy is an understatement. Player 1 always had a red die available due to him getting an extra unique item every time he completed an adventure that gave him one (and he went after those that did, often getting 2 uniques per turn). Player 2 had the yellow and red die in exchange for a card or clue. We were very liberal with our uses of cards and clues, making it easy to pass adventures. Even if we were unlucky, we would break even. Doom was rare.

We both really enjoyed the system, but we might play with a house rule next time that you always get 1 extra doom token per mythos card, in addition to any given by the immediate effects. (This would have given us a total of 9 doom and more monsters.)

Can anyone spot a rule that we might have gotten wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found if you play with less than 4 investigators the game kind of doesn't work as well. I always play with 4 investigators, no matter how many players are available. The game seems to be the most balanced at that point.

This game is extremely easy to play multiple investigators, this is actually one of the best solo games I've ever played. ( using 4 investigators)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy. (Thumb Wars)
mbmbmbmbmb
To add tension I recommend adding a doom token every time the clock reaches 12...if another one appears off the card...well...the pressure increases!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oobydoob wrote:
To add tension I recommend adding a doom token every time the clock reaches 12...if another one appears off the card...well...the pressure increases!

That was the exact same "fix" I was considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I 1st played the game I had not realised that you didn't add a doom at midnight and it was only later that i noticed on this site, definitely harder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.