Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife love playing co-ops. Our favorites include Pandemic and Ghost stories. Recently we have been playing A Touch of Evil but the jury is still out on that one.

I am considering getting this game for us. We both love Zombies and all their hijinks. However,I've read that this game is better as a solo game rather than as a co-op.

Any thoughts on how good this game would work as a couple's co-op?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever played the game solo and have never advanced past the second scenario, if I remember correctly. Keep that in mind as you read what I type.

The player characters are either "stars" or "grunts". Stars are the leaders and have better stats. They also have a better chance of activating during the initiative roll. There are only 2 star characters in the game. It's likely that one of you will be a grunt in some if not most of the scenarios. Whoever that is will likely get to activate, and thus play, less than the star character.

Other than that, it likely will present with many of the same processes familiar in other co-op games, good and bad. I think it should have quite a bit of potential as a co-op if both players appreciate the mechanics & theme.

I haven't played the game in over a year, I think. I enjoy it, but not as much as I had hoped. For me the mechanics seemed a little too complex. I think this is largely due to the way the rulebook was written. Once you play a few scenarios, it all seems come together better. My biggest complaint though is that I was hoping the campaign would be more open ended or would have some kind of random campaign scenario generator. As it is it only comes with 6 scenarios which can be played as a campaign or stand alone. There's also a way to setup random one off scenarios, but I was more interested in the campaign. I also think the number of characters in the base game is small and fairly shallow. I was hoping for a larger number of characters, as well as more non-player character type counters.

Aside from my rambling, I think the game is good and I have enjoyed it. I do understand that other people will appreciate it more than I do. I'll restate that I believe it has a lot of potential (untested by me) as a co-op. I hope it works out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Could my wife and I both play star characters or would that throw off the balance of the scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
If a star character is required for an opposing human faction, then no. If your enemies are all zombies or "grunt" humans, yes. Which makes it kind of weird for the campaign, since you can technically buy the other "star" character before you play the scenario where he's the NPC antagonist.

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in, but I believe that is the gist of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just let your wife play the star while you play the grunt - it's good for domestic bliss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.