Subject: True Review: Catan is Worth its Weight in Ore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My goal is to review all the games I own. Let's see how far I get. Here is my first review.

The Settlers of Catan was my introduction to the board gaming hobby. It still remains one of my favorite games. It is considered a gateway game which means it is a good game for new board gamers to start with. Catan is a very popular game. There even is a fictional book based on Catan.

Quote:
Designer: Klaus Teuber
Year Published: 1995
Number of Players: 3-4
Playing Time: 45-90 min.
1995 Spiel des Jahres Winner

Brief Rules
The game board consists of colored hexagons tiles with numbers on them. Each hexagon color represents one of the 5 different resources. The players start with settlements at the intersections of the hexagons. The players will get the corresponding resource card from bordering hexagons when the dice roll matches the number on the hexagon. These resources can be used to build roads, settlements, cities, and development cards in order to gain more resources. Eventually a player will build enough settlements and cities to have 10 victory points and win. Full Rules

Positives

+ Excellent gateway game

+ Hexagon tiles and numbers can be arranged many ways

+ High interaction between players when trading resources

Negatives

- Some consider there to be too much luck with all the dice rolling

- Setup time can be lengthy

By the Way
I recommend using the variant rule where you are not able to block another player with the robber unless they have over two points. This eliminates game ruining unlucky early blocks. While the game is designed for 3-4 players, there are official rules for two players available.

Worth Buying?
The price for The Settlers of Catan on Amazon is usually around $33.60. The list price is $42.00. You get high quality components. The tiles are sturdy, and the wooden pieces are great. I have played Catan hundreds of times online, and each game feels different. Almost anyone will be able to enjoy this game. There is a decent amount of luck, but that certainly doesn't mean it isn't fun. I highly recommend getting it.

Rating
9 out of 10

Favorite BGG Images:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your little thing at the end that shows your favorite BGG images. That's a nice touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueCaleb wrote:

Favorite BGG Images:

Nice review, and yes those are some excelent images of the game.

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Don't play in the street....
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one Caleb - I have used this game to lure many a new gamer into the fold - plus I really like it, its light hearted and an easy game to play in most circumstances. Like the pics too. GM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Daly
Ireland
Enniscorthy
Co Wexford
flag msg tools

HA!!! This is my favourite one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mem
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
aaah a city on a 10-gold. I dream of days like that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BobMem wrote:
aaah a city on a 10-gold. I dream of days like that...

When playing online, the maps can have crazy things like an island full of gold to sail to. Then you can get a city on a 6, 8, and 10 gold. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.