Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Rhoads
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to get a copy of Acquire. I have only played with my uncle's 1960s era set. I want a set with good components.

The latest version, with its all-cardboard components, doesn't sound right to me. (The plastic grid seems essential for the feel of the thing, IMO.) And the glitzy large box reissue from 1999 is too big a box for me to keep around. The '95 AH flat box would also seem like an inconvenient format (though acceptable, I guess, if it has a bigger board that's easier for everyone to see). So it looks like I need one of the older printings. Are there any appreciable differences between the different AH and 3M editions from before '95?

What should I look for? Comments from the galleries?

Thanks for any advice...
TomR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are all the same, so it's a question of what components you want. There are editions with wood tiles and versions with plastic tiles, and so forth, but if you just want to play the game, any of the older versions should work fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a '99 set and I love it but I wouldn't pay the prices it's going for today (I got is super cheap when the WotC stores were closing).

You can find the 60s era sets on ebay for pretty cheap if they qualify as good components for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Rhoads
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at pics on eBay, I think I want to stick to the plastic grid board. So no '95 edition for me.

Thanks for the advice, y'all. (I'm still listening if anyone wants to chime in.)

TomR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trhoads wrote:
The latest version, with its all-cardboard components, doesn't sound right to me. (The plastic grid seems essential for the feel of the thing, IMO.)
Thanks for any advice...
TomR

It sounds like you've already ruled out the possibility of the newest one, but if there are any lingering doubts, here is my 2 cents.

I own the newest one, and have seen the layout of the one from the 60's. What I really like about the the newest design is that the hotel pieces are twice the size of the normal tiles, which makes them easier to see. The hotel tiles also have the entire name of the hotel instead of just one letter. I never really understood why everyone is so down on the newest version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1999 Hasbro/AH edition is as classy as plastic gets, if you can find one, and if you have room on your shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trhoads wrote:
So it looks like I need one of the older printings. Are there any appreciable differences between the different AH and 3M editions from before '95?
Generally speaking there is nothing big and serious. A few rarities perhaps but otherwise not anything like the variations in the versions you've ruled out. Just find one that meets your price point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
mst3k4L wrote:
trhoads wrote:
The latest version, with its all-cardboard components, doesn't sound right to me. (The plastic grid seems essential for the feel of the thing, IMO.)
Thanks for any advice...
TomR

It sounds like you've already ruled out the possibility of the newest one, but if there are any lingering doubts, here is my 2 cents.

I own the newest one, and have seen the layout of the one from the 60's. What I really like about the the newest design is that the hotel pieces are twice the size of the normal tiles, which makes them easier to see. The hotel tiles also have the entire name of the hotel instead of just one letter. I never really understood why everyone is so down on the newest version.

I despise the newest edition because they didn't even make the effort of assuring that all the cards (stock certificates) were the SAME SIZE!! Two decks were cut from different dies, how lame (at least in my copy)!!! If it weren't for that travesty the edition would be just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mst3k4L wrote:
I never really understood why everyone is so down on the newest version.
At least in part, I'm sure it may be influenced by what edtion you learned on. I'll freely admit my partiality to the older ones due to my own 1976 copy, owned since new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest is bestest! Though I never understood why they didn't make the chain markers interlock when placed on top of the numbered tiles. Would seem like a no-brainer to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having had a 1968 version (IIRC) and a new version, I actually like the new version better. The card stock is much better (I don't have the problem Todd does in my copy). They are more like playing cards, and less like card stock as the old cards were. Furthermore, the plastic board on the older version had yellowed like an old maid's teeth! Of course, it cost me $3 at the thrift store, so it's not like it was a bad purchase!

In the end, I say buy the one you can get your hands on the fastest. This game is too good to let go another minute!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
The new fully cardboard addition would irritate the crap out of me since there is no grid to hold the tiles. I think the old 3m editions are really nice as long as you don't mind the fact that they are old and the box will almost definetly be somewhat worn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I own the 1976 and the 2008 versions, and almost exclusively with the exception of the 1976 box art, I prefer the 2008 version.

Both have paper money, to me that's just a wash, I always use poker chips for Acquire.

The 2008 version comes with tile holders made of thick cardboard, not awesome but better than the lack of tile holders in 1976. much like the poker chips, i use scrabble tile holders with either version.

The share cards in 2008 are beautifully illustrated certificates on card stock (think playing cards) the feels good to hold, vs a rather plain though still charming art on the 1976 printed on 110 lbs paper that doesn't feel awesome to hold.

The chain markers in 2008 are very nicely illustrated and double sized cardboard chits where the 1976 were just coloured plastic squares with a letter painted on.

The cardboard v.s plastic tiles is a big issue, but really, I like the cardboard. The design is cleaner, and the tiles are bigger, the plastic ones are rather boring to look at, it seems like the only thing they have going for them is that they are plastic.

The board in 2008 is a long single fold with spots for the chain markers when not in use and a reference table, the 1976 is literally just an ugly yellow plastic tray with the letters and numbers painted on.

I think to both look at and to play the 2008 edition is the way to go of these two (I've never played another edition so I can only speak for these two).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Nickster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have only owned 1976 versions and I love it! I have bought them as gifts for other players and every player I have met has loved the 76 over the original 3m version. I have customized with a cloth bag for the tiles and tile holders from an old scrabble set.

I did buy a 90's version whilst in the USA to introduce friends to the game, luckily it did not put them off and they bought a 3m version and then enjoyed the game. I hated the card pieces and I think there might have been play variations.

I have not seen a '99 game but it looks very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 1999 version and the 1966 3M version. I like both.

I would be willing to unload my 1999 version, actually. They are the same game, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden wrote:
mst3k4L wrote:
trhoads wrote:
Thanks for any advice...
TomR

I despise the newest edition because they didn't even make the effort of assuring that all the cards (stock certificates) were the SAME SIZE!! Two decks were cut from different dies, how lame (at least in my copy)!!! If it weren't for that travesty the edition would be just fine.

I came upon another copy of the 50th Anniversary Edition cheap in which all the stock certificate cards were cut the same size, so now I'm happy with my copy!! Not sure why any were produced with mixed sized stock cards. Oh well. I still prefer the original 3M plastic edition (I'm aware there was some variance in that edition as well) to play. I've long considered making my own set but haven't yet found the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.