Popular Tags: [View All]
Six combat teams pushed deeper into the hulk tonight:
- Orange (Assault Cannon)
- Grey (Librarian)
- Yellow (Lightning Claws)
- Blue (Sergeant Lorenzo)
- Pink (Flamer)
- Brown (Cyclone Missile Launcher)

Locations: mixed green and red for 1A to 3, then a Hive Lord (new "end boss" location) for 4.

The new Tyranids gave us a bit of a shock first off - when three of our twelve marines died in a single round of attacks, I wondered if we'd even get out of the void lock. Claudio, Omnio and Scipio down... Almost half of the Tyranids are the new Elite ones, which have a variety of special dangers.

Here's what they do (spoilers for those who want to find out for themselves).
Lictors:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
immediately flank - leaving their swarm - when they spawn. Covering your flanks immediately and consistently becomes much more important, and splitting swarms up is never good.

Rippers:
if the marine they're engaged with moves, they follow that marine and flank. We used this to lure them into traps sometimes, but it's usually an inconvenience

Raveners:
Their swarm attacks again at the end of the Genestealer Attack phase unless you spend a support token. Great when Lorenzo is counter-attacking them, really dangerous the rest of the time

Hormagaunts:
Unless you spend a support, bring in an extra tyranid - from the deck, not the blip pile - half the time when they arrive. Not too dangerous.

All of them have "Brood Lord" style protection in that you have to get the generic ones first, which makes them a bit more dangerous. They make the Adrenal Genestealers look like wimps.

So, after a little bit of regrouping and reorganisation, we got out of the void lock without further casaulties, fought through 1A (green), 2 (green) and 3 (red) in the usual way, managing to avoid further marine deaths. We were certainly treating the Elite Tyranids with a lot of caution, though.

The Hive Lord was the "Hive Tyrant".
Instead of attacking normally, a marine rolls a die, and on a skull places a support token on the Hive Tyrant. Do that five times to win.

Because we'd come out of area 3 in reasonable shape and with plenty of support tokens on marines, we instead won by killing all the tyranids in play, but if we'd been in worse shape a desperate attempt to kill the Hive Tyrant would certainly have been plausible. Zael died to a Tyranid counter-attack while trying to shut down a spore chimney, but Claudio got rescued, so final marine losses stayed at 3 of 12.

So... initial thoughts:
- difficulty is noticeably up, though we still won. If you keep things under control, it's not too bad, but things can get out of hand far quicker and far more nastily than against Genestealers ... and then you can lose several marines in a single turn. Raveners can be especially nasty if they get a large swarm behind them. If you're not taking the full six combat teams, it'll probably be even worse.
- there tend to be more swarms, so harder tactical decisions, and the secondary marines are much more valuable on the attack. Keeping everyone safe from counter-attacks becomes much harder, and the marines generally lose wars of attrition.
- the Elite Tyranids are inventive, but there are a couple of rules ambiguities to answer on their cards (what happens if two Raveners are in the same swarm, and what exactly does "moves" mean on the Rippers?).
- the Hive Tyrant was a fun and interesting endgame. Definitely looking forward to trying the other three Hive Lords out over the next few days.

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyable, and shakes up the game a bit for people who were finding Genestealers a little easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
... Interesting!
I didn't look at the spoilers, since I've got the expansion on the way to me right now... But it does sound as if the game just got a lot harder.. Especially if, in my case, you'll be playing mostly solo sessions (just three combat teams)...

But I'll be cocky and say that I'm pretty sure I'm up to the challenge the expansion brings to the table... I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Commission Painting at www.centerpieceminiatures.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like i'm going to enjoy this. Seems that it involves alot more tactics then the unexpanded game. Bring it on devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for this! It went from my "hope it doesn't suck" to I must have it! list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just played two more games. One loss (do not underestimate Raveners!) versus the Mawloc Hive Lord, and one win versus the Deathleaper Hive Lord.

Hive Lord spoilers follow - Mawloc
Control panel activation places a support token on the Mawloc. Discard two support instead of attacking to roll a die, on a skull you win. A bit like Launch Control Room for desperate last stands, I guess, since you could win very quickly. Or it could take forever...

Deathleaper
Adds a Deathleaper (all four movement symbols, must be killed last from its swarm) to the vents with two bodyguards. Nowhere near as nasty as Genestealer Lair from the original since there's only one and it will usually have fewer bodyguards than the Brood Lords do.

ETA: And one win versus the Trygon, though an early "They're Everywhere" nearly got us.
If there are no Tyranids in formation, spend a support and roll a die instead of attacking with a marine; on a skull you win. Interesting idea, and a terrain formation suited to relatively low spawn rates, but I suspect will generally devolve into "kill everything" being easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge B
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played one first, quick, game.
Lost at the hive to the hive tyrant (after Leon embarassed himself by failing to score a single hit in 3 attacks shake). Surprisingly, although the game obviously becomes strictly harder, I didn't feel it was as savage as i thought it would be. In the end, I counted one less support token, one extra attack suffered and one extra tyranid spawned as a *direct* result of their abilities, during the entire game. Harder obviously, but not THAT much.
I must say my favored Tyranid are the Rippers, since they actually can make a difference in the way you plan your turn. Ravager is a close second, ofc. The "comes into play" abilities of the lictor and hormagaunt can't really be prevented, though obviously it helps to stack up on supply tokens, so, while they add to the general nastiness, they end up not making a big difference in the way you plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dain Lybarger
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my Tyranid Pack in the mail today, and gave it a solo try tonight, using the Red mission deck. My marines (which included the Grey Knights fireteam as well as Brother Leon and his mighty autocannon) lasted seven turns. We almost made it out of Location 2.

Bad dice were part of it -- two failed attempts to shut down the Spore Chimney while 'nids poured in, and a clean-sweep Full Auto miss by Brother Leon didn't help. But the Elite Tyranids are fearsome -- Rippers pin you down, while Lictors are always behind you. Support tokens just seem to evaporate... I was well and truly terrorized.

Can't wait for a rematch! I think I'll use the Green deck next time, and see if that makes a difference...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
__cim__ wrote:
(what happens if two Raveners are in the same swarm, and what exactly does "moves" mean on the Rippers?)

While I was asking rules questions to FFG, I figured I could just as well ask about those two as well. Here are the answers:

FFG wrote:
Q: What happens if two Raveners are in a swarm after it attacks? Does the engaged marine have to discard one token as well as if there was just one Ravener? Can the swarm get multiple "bonus attacks" with multiple Raveners?

A: This effect is not cumulative. No matter how many Raveners are in a given swarm, the ability only provides the entire swarm with one additional attack at the end of the attack phase.

Q: The ability of Rippers is triggered when a Space Marine "moves" - it seems quite clear that this applies when a Space Marine team executes a "Move + Activate" action and the marine in question actually moves. But...
a) Does the ability also trigger if marines are (passively) moved, like Brother Noctis in the example on page 18 in the rulebook?
b) Do activating a terrain card and changing facing without changing position also count as "move" for the Ripper ability? How about not doing anything despite executing a "Move + Activate" action?

A: No, the ability would not trigger. The Rippers ability only triggers when a Space Marine moves (not when he is displaced from his current position by another Space Marine moving). This ability is not triggered if a Space Marine simply changes facing (without moving) since he is not moving. Here is a situation to help illustrate this:

You are playing as Brother Deino, who is currently engaged to a swarm containing a Rippers card. You decide to play a Move + Activate card to move Brother Deino. Lexicanium Calistarius and Brother Noctis are currently adjacent to Brother Deino. You choose to move to Brother Noctis' position (which also happens to have a swarm containing a Rippers card). When you move Brother Deino, you remove the Rippers card from the swarm engaged with him. When you swap positions with Brother Noctis, you DO NOT remove the Rippers card from the swarm engaged with him. After placing the Space Marines in their new positions, you place the Rippers swarm removed from Brother Deino's previous position in Brother Deino's new position (behind him).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GG for using the spoilers so I could read your bottom line impressions without spoiling any surprises. I truly appreciate your taking the time to do that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.