Elder Sign» Forums » Variants

Subject: Another Variant to increase difficulty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group has found this game to be a bit easy and less-than-satisfying when it ends. We also enjoy preparing for the Ancient One fight at the end of the game and feel that can and should be an integral part of the game. Our proposed changes are as follows:

1) The primary change is that at each Midnight, begin by adding 1 Doom marker to the Doom track. This helps to apply constant pressure to the investigators, as time is always of the essence.

2) With this change, we also decided that All adventure and Other World cards which would add a Doom marker when successfully completing the adventure instead removes a Doom marker. (A good example of this is the adventure card Elder Sign) Before this change, our group often ignored any adventures that added Doom markers as a pass effect. As fewer Doom markers are required than Elder Signs, we felt that we were losing rather than gaining ground by completing these cards. This change alleviates that, as well as helps to mitigate the 'Doom every midnight' effect.

Changes to Ancient One combat:
3) When the Doom track or the required number of Elder Signs is obtained, the Ancient One awakes and attacks. You can no longer seal away the Ancient One; at the end of the game, you must fight the Ancient one. (except for Asathoth... as you cannot combat him, getting 14 Elder Signs wins the game for the Adventurers).

4) The Ancient One attacks at the end of each turn, but only attacks the current investigator. This may have to change with more players... I commonly only play with between 2 and 4 players/investigators.

5) When Investigators gain Elder Signs during the first half of the game, they personally gain them. During combat with the Ancient One, an investigator may spend an Elder Sign to skip the Ancient One's attack for his/her turn. This makes the acquisition of Elder Signs useful for the Ancient One's attack and rebalances the constant attack of the Ancient One, especially for fewer investigators.

I wanted to post ideas my gaming group had for a game we've really enjoyed over the past couple of months. It's a great filler (albeit, a bit long for a 'filler' game) and one that usually makes an appearance on gaming nights. Thoughts and ideas are always welcome!

Elder Sign is published by Fantasty Flight Games and, as so, I do not claim any ownership over the game or these variations. You may distribute these variants as you wish, but if you do, please credit me as the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds great. I'm not sure I'd want to make the final battle mandatory, but I really like the #1 and #2 ideas together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the final battle being mandatory, I might try this with Arkham Horror except for the Asatoth which wins if occurs.
We played yesterday using the 3D museum idea which means characters moving around the museum, this adds to the tension as players are in the wrong place to complete a room, do I run (-1 stamina), do I get there late (-1 dice) or do I expend a clue (find secret passage or lift to room)
The game came down to a player rolling 2 green dice requiring both to come up scrolls which they did.
We also play if a mythos card says add a doom unless a player as an ally etc a player must expend this instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.