Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I get the expansion for 5 and 6 players in this game or does it not play well with more than 4?

I have seafarers and traders and barbarians and will probably pick up cities and knights at some point. Should I get any extensions for these?

They are times where a 5 and a 6 would be nice to have. That's why I do consider it but if it doesn't play well I might as well play something different if we have too many players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is a pale shadow of itself with 5, and virtually unplayable with 6.

Play with 4, and only 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those have been my thoughts, so best to steer clear of the 5-6 expansion then.

What about if you have seafarers does it help the situation for more players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it works well with 5 and 6. It does increase play time however, so take that into account. It also reduces the impact of rolling a 7 as you can build even when it is not your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So some hope for more than 4 then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly be aware that the game is going to get significantly longer with 5/6. If that's OK with you, go for it - it's still fundamentally the same game. If you already feel it is pushing it length-wise with 4, you might want to skip it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Mostly be aware that the game is going to get significantly longer with 5/6. If that's OK with you, go for it - it's still fundamentally the same game. If you already feel it is pushing it length-wise with 4, you might want to skip it.
We have also played with 6 players many times. Yes, it lengthens the game, yes you can build between turns so the roll of a "7" isn't as bad, but it is still a fun time (providing you play with a good set of people!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It must make it harsh if your having a low ressource game. See it drag on as a few leaders set the pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Switch to Starfarers for 5 or 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
We have also played with 6 players many times. Yes, it lengthens the game, yes you can build between turns so the roll of a "7" isn't as bad, but it is still a fun time (providing you play with a good set of people!).

I agree. 5-6 players works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played many times with 5 and 6 players. I think it is every bit as good as 3 or 4. The expansion is well worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mem
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5-6 players is well worth having in your locker IMO. We have a pool of about 9 people who play fairly regularly, and use both Seafarers and C&K expansions. The only downside being the cost of buying SoC, Seafarers, C&Ks and 3 5-6 player extension packs. We've also recently acquired T&B (and ofc 5-6 for that too) so nothing left to buy.

I find with 5-6 players it is important to ensure the board is large enough to allow everyone a foot in the door, but not so large there there is little/no competition for territory.
Experience has taught me approx 1 of each resource hex per player, plus 1 'for the pot' is a good rule of thumb. We normally lay out the frame pieces and distribute the water to create 3-5 islands, then randomly dish out the resource hexes and number tokens. This creates a limited number of good 3-hex positions and often a large number of alright coastal 2-hex positions.

Games in general take about 2 hours but occasionally one bogs down and ends up taking over 4 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a good number of games with 5 or 6, and I'm fine with it. It feels a bit different than the 3-4 player game, but if you have 5 or 6 people who want to play Settlers, this expansion will come in handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advice. There was a request by people I play with to play with six. So in that case it did make sense. Very often we would be at least 5. Thanks for all your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mem
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I also purchased 2 additional sets of pieces (pink and yellow) including C&K items and we have played one 8-player and a couple of 7-player games. They take ages and are actually more about being inclusive than a serious competition. 5 is my favourite number to play with, it just seems to work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer playing with 5/6. There are lots more trading offers each round, and everyone has an additional building option at the end of each player's turn. The extra length of play time is offset by these virtues, as far as I'm concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monkey Science
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Can you use two games to make your own expansion for more players? We got two for Christmas, and would like to be able to play with more than four players. Or should we just return one and buy an official expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need pieces in 6 different colors, so it would be better to have the official expansion. Also the number discs are different in the 5 or 6 player game. But if you are willing to paint two sets of pieces and make your own number discs and find out the tile list for the larger island and the card distribution for more people...oh, probably best to just return one and get the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, the disks are fine. Just grab random disks from both sets and make for an interesting game. I'm not sure how you'll handle the fact that some players may be the same color though, if there are 4 colors but 6 players. Teams?

If its not too much trouble, you should just buy the expansion. It will also include the additional rules you need, which are minor but still more convenient than working it out yourself. If you can't, then you can work with what you have without too much trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
You need pieces in 6 different colors, so it would be better to have the official expansion. Also the number discs are different in the 5 or 6 player game. But if you are willing to paint two sets of pieces and make your own number discs and find out the tile list for the larger island and the card distribution for more people...oh, probably best to just return one and get the expansion.

Good grief, it's not that hard:

Add 2 of each resource hex and 1 desert
Add 1 of each number disc
Add 1 sheep harbor and 1 3:1 harbor

For the resource cards, add 5 of each resource
For the dev cards, add 6 soldiers and 1 of each other non-VP card

There.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salt-Man Z wrote:
wmshub wrote:

Good grief, it's not that hard:

Add 2 of each resource hex and 1 desert
Add 1 of each number disc
Add 1 sheep harbor and 1 3:1 harbor

For the resource cards, add 5 of each resource
For the dev cards, add 6 soldiers and 1 of each other non-VP card

There.
Unless you want to alphabetize the discs properly. We always use the alphabetization to lay them out. Still not horrible, right, but it will take some effort to make it all look nice. It's probably easier to just return the extra game and buy the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monkey Science
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input. My husband is pretty bent on not returning it, so it's nice to have the info either way. And we were just planning on repainting one set of pieces. Not exactly time-efficient, but not terribly difficult, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, with two sets of the base game (and differently-colored wooden bits) you can play the Mayfair 2nd edition 8-player "peanut" map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.