Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Running
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, I've played a couple of solo games now and can't quite see how to get to the core tiles by the time the 3 rounds ends. I mean, how much of your card use is movement? If it's a lot, how do you fight the tokens?

Lord, both my games ended with me just revealing the first brown-backed tile at the end of the 3rd night.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
bigfomlof wrote:
So, I've played a couple of solo games now and can't quite see how to get to the core tiles by the time the 3 rounds ends. I mean, how much of your card use is movement? If it's a lot, how do you fight the tokens?

Lord, both my games ended with me just revealing the first brown-backed tile at the end of the 3rd night.

Thanks.

Are you playing the standard solo scenario, or are you playing the introductory scenario solo? If the former, then you should be revealing the first brown tile around round 3 (the second day). You should then still have three more rounds to go, which is plenty to reveal two more tiles and take down a couple of cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bass
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
badge
What's this? Why, it's the Hiller Flying Platform! It flew in 1955.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel too bad. I've played 6 or 7 solo scenarios and I'm now just barely able to get to one City before the end of the 3rd day, much less conquer the city. You have to make a special effort to plan your journey through each tile with the goal of quickly reaching the next edge so you can throw in a quick "explore" and reveal a new tile while still taking time to deal with monsters, villages, etc. on the previously revealed tiles. You can quite quickly get the brown tiles to start appearing. This is a good thing, as you can then acquire the Elite units that will be helpful in dispatching your first city.

Also, as I was about to conquer my first City, I looked to the left...then looked to the right...then dialed the City down to an easier difficulty level.

Other more compentent players than I will have many nice tips for success, I'm sure.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember to start with the first two tiles revealed, as in the walkthrough scenario. A couple people have reportedly gotten this wrong.

Don't deal with everything on every tile before moving on. Sometimes a 2-fame wandering orc just isn't worth the trouble. I like to reveal tiles as fast as possible, especially when nearing the brown ones, so I know what I'm up against. You can always explore a tile and not tackle it until later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, when playing solo, it is 3 days and 3 nights, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tarheel wrote:

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory Stevens
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember when playing with fewer than four players you also remove some tiles from the draw stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
bigfomlof wrote:

Thanks.

It looks like you are moving too slow

Assuming you mean the solo conquest game, which is 6 rounds - 3 day and 3 night. You start with 7 countryside tiles in a stack, 2 of them are placed next to the portal tile leaving 5 remaining.

Depending upon the locations on the two starting tiles, you will probably have explored 1 new tile before the end of round 1. Only if your 2 starting tiles have some orcs, keep, etc that you can do something about will you want to stick around there. Even if you dont do any exploration at all in round 1, you should be doing early in round 2.

By the end of round 2, I would have thought you would have explored 2 map tiles, leaving 3 left in the pile. That is the end of the first night.

etc..

The trick is that the goal of the scenario is to find and conquer the cities. So, yes, you need to have some tempo in order to do this. If you sit back, visiting all the locations you turn up, using movement cards sideways in combat, then you might feel you are doing well as you are conquering everything, but time will run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
QBert80 wrote:
tarheel wrote:

Correct.

Oh, I just ended my 2nd day and had two tiles left (used nearly all mana and cards for movement the last round (my 3rd round). I came here for advice and I found this. I must missed it in the rules. I guess I can continue to play now!

A great first post for me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bigfomlof wrote:

Thanks.

Basically, don't spend your time exploring and fighting everything you encounter, but go for your goal.

Here is an image of the game I just played. It is a bit exteme, even for me, but during the first day and night I fought 1 orc and recruited one peasant. This picture shows that I have revealed all but one tile at the end of the first night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.