Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Flight
United States
Boulder
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering if anyone who has bought this can give their thoughts on it. Thanks, in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cadieux
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this expansion soon after getting the original boxed set game for Christmas. The Cerberus Box contains a 3-D building, two heroes and additional rules and scenarios. I wanted to get into 3-D terrain as quickly as possible. The building components allow the creation of one large 3 story building or a few smaller structures. I haven't used any of it yet as I have only played the first three scenarios in the Operation Blue Thunder Book, but I will be progressing to it as soon as practical. I am glad I have it because I think it will make the game as it now stands more interesting and varied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Flight
United States
Boulder
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the feedback. I was on the fence about getting this, but think I will take the plunge. I am guessing it might be fun in the miniatures (dust warfare) version too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a great addition to Dust. The building(s) is superb and useable for just about miniature game needing a non-ruined building. I'm very happy they released such an incredibly modular "intact" building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Incoming Priority Message...
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a several sets to make some modern, intact buildings. They look great and are easy to put together. The only negative is they don't have any roofs/floors except the cardboard half-sheets designed to hold minis for the DT games. Not a problem though, a few cut foam sheets later and all the buildings have passable roofs as long as minis are sparingly placed on them. I'm going to work on some chipboard or plastic roofs/floors in the near future to allow better support for miniatures. Overall, a good expansion for those who want some decent plastic buildings. I can't answer for the scenarios or characters as I don't play DT very much (the minis are used in other games.)

T.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cadieux
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jflight1 wrote:
Thank you for the feedback. I was on the fence about getting this, but think I will take the plunge. I am guessing it might be fun in the miniatures (dust warfare) version too.

I'll definitely be getting the Dust Warfare Table Top Rulebook as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LilNewbie wrote:
I picked up a several sets to make some modern, intact buildings. They look great and are easy to put together. The only negative is they don't have any roofs/floors except the cardboard half-sheets designed to hold minis for the DT games. Not a problem though, a few cut foam sheets later and all the buildings have passable roofs as long as minis are sparingly placed on them. I'm going to work on some chipboard or plastic roofs/floors in the near future to allow better support for miniatures. Overall, a good expansion for those who want some decent plastic buildings. I can't answer for the scenarios or characters as I don't play DT very much (the minis are used in other games.)

T.

I hope you post pictures of your work. A roof for the buildings would be a nice addition. This set is definitely one that I can see have three copies of with no regrets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this and have played a bit with it.

It looks great on the table and it's a great buy for sure. It's definitely the best expansion between it, Cyclone and SeeLowe.

However, i have a few negative about it (bear in mind this is just my opinion). Trying to reach your squad on the ground floor in a 3 stories building is a chore. You have to place your minis one by one, carefully trying not to knock anything.

More often than not, we would pick the entire building up, move the squad under it, then put the entire building back in place.
The entire thing being modular, it wobbles a bit and some parts can get loose when you lift the building in this fashion.

The 3rd dimension is also not as fun as i would've expected. The addition of 2D buildings in SeeLowe offered a lot of new tactical possibilities. Them going 3D does offer more options, but they are not as game-changing as before.
In what we played, only once did a squad even bother going up a floor. I suspect this could change a lot and you would get a lot of use of the 3rd dimension if you play using the Cerberus scenarios, as some objectives in them requires you to go up. For custom games using the scenario generation rules, the 3rd dimension of the buildings just add aggravation to miniature movement while adding little in return.

I also find a bit silly the fact that jump units can jump over 3 stories high buildings, but not the flat cardboard used to create obstacles. Also the fact that they cannot land on the roof of a building, but they can walk through the entrance and climb up the stairs until they reach the roof.
I think we may house-rule that jump infantry CAN land on the roof of buildings. This could create more use of the actual 3D in our games as some units might want to catch those jumping troopers, or make it hard for them to actually land there by going to the roof themselves. This house rule may unblance the scenarios, but we rarely play them so...

That said, i am still fully happy with it. I suspect we will use it more as terrain replacement for the 2D building rules of the SeeLowe / Revised core set with the flat terrain (i.e. use only buildings that are 1 level high with no usable roof). Having actual 3D walls is certainly much better than flat cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some advice for those of you having issues with the 3 story building and placing troops inside it. Have a 7 year old help you. Their arms seem to be magically made to do the job.

Fortunately, my main opponent just happens to be 7 and that is how I discovered the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Flight
United States
Boulder
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone on this thread have an idea of what differences there are between the basic and premium editions of this set? Are the buildings painted in the premium or just the figures? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
jflight1 wrote:
Does anyone on this thread have an idea of what differences there are between the basic and premium editions of this set? Are the buildings painted in the premium or just the figures? Thanks!

This is exactly what I would like to know. It just seems strange to me that the answer seems so vague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the figures are painted in the premium set. FFG has a blog post on the premium set which makes this clear.

And I just ordered my copy (regular version) - I should get it in the next few days. I can post back here with my thoughts on it if people are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I picked up two copies for use in AT-43 and Marvelscape. I don't actually own any Dust Tactics but the modular buildings were too awesome to not pick up. If FFG continues down this path, I may end up having a bunch of DT terrain without setting foot in the actual game

So far I'm enjoying the various building types I can create with two sets. My only problem is- how to get rid of the minis. Seriously, they had to put some of the most off-the-wall minis with this expansion. Maybe I can use them for Tannhauser... anyone want to trade something for them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Squires
United States
Capron
Il
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://youtu.be/4wszLyloERk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian H
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish they would have supplied more doorways or entrances than the two that come in the set. It’s still is a really cool addition though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingHoof wrote:
I wish they would have supplied more doorways or entrances than the two that come in the set. It’s still is a really cool addition though.

How many of the pieces are doors or windows? From the pictures I've seen, it looks like there are quite a few entrances (as windows count as entrances too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian H
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
FlyingHoof wrote:

How many of the pieces are doors or windows? From the pictures I've seen, it looks like there are quite a few entrances (as windows count as entrances too.)

This is true. I guess I'm speaking from a purely asthetic point of view. The set comes with 2 doorways and 14 windows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Squires
United States
Capron
Il
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one mistake they made. They only give you two doors. You can make three building with all the parts but one build uses a window for the door. I have also broken two slide in parts on the wall. Hard to explane but if you slide them in to far the top breaks. I painted my pieces seperatly and now they are hard to slide together. Next time I will paint it all together. But another than this the best table top building you can get for the money. No brainer buy it. Plus the two heres can be pretty sick when you get a shot off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Prime2134 wrote:
There is one mistake they made. They only give you two doors. You can make three building with all the parts but one build uses a window for the door. I have also broken two slide in parts on the wall. Hard to explane but if you slide them in to far the top breaks. I painted my pieces seperatly and now they are hard to slide together. Next time I will paint it all together. But another than this the best table top building you can get for the money. No brainer buy it. Plus the two heres can be pretty sick when you get a shot off.

Great job on the paint job, what did you do exactly as I'd like to duplicate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Squires
United States
Capron
Il
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not going to lie I am a newbie and this took me about 10 hours. There are alot off peices with this set and it was my first project with an airbrush.

Step one: Airburshed Game Color White Primer
Step Two: Airbrushed Game Color Stone Wall Gray
Step Three: Mix Model Master Black Paint in water to make a big thing of wash. Just slaped on the wash.
Step Four: Dry brush with Game Workshop Astronomican Grey

Note: Mistake I made was painted each piece seperatly and now it is hard to slide them together. I think the next one I am going to prime with the build put together?

Again I am a newbie so if any has a better process let us know.

I very happy how it turned out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Regardless of being a newb, I think they turned out great. Thanks for the rundown of how you did and I appreciate you taking the plunge first. I will definitely paint them assembled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy of the game last night.

Overall, I really like the components. This was the first expansion for DT where the box actually is completely filled with stuff! There are a lot of pieces to the building.

I do have a few qualms with how they designed the pieces though:

1)

Some are, as mentioned above, very tight fitting, while others are actually quite loose.

2)

The way the pieces are designed makes some building designs unnecessarily impossible. There are 3 sizes of the "wall" pieces, small, medium, and large. There are small solid wall pieces, medium solid wall and window pieces, and large window and door pieces. With the exception of large window pieces (where there are some with tongues, and some with grooves), each of the piece types only have tongues or only have grooves, meaning there are very specific pieces that can go next to them.

So for instance, you cannot have a door right next to a corner of any type - it has to go at least one tile-width away from the corner. An example of where these limitations come in is from trying to make the buildings from the Revised Core Set out of the pieces from Cerberus. A wall-door-wall section cannot be made that is the same length as a window-wall-wall section, and door-wall-wall is not possible. Because of this, it is impossible to make the smaller building from the Revised Core set with a door in it. You *have* to make it all windows if you want it to work.

The thing is, this issue could have been easily fixed. All they would have needed to do was make every piece have a tongue on one side and a groove on the other. Instead, some pieces are all tongues, and the others are all grooves, which makes unnecessary limitations on building design.

For just making up your own buildings, this probably isn't a big deal - you'll just work within the limitations and still have cool-looking, fun-to-use buildings, but if you want to recreate specific buildings from Seelowe or the Revised Core Set, be warned that you will run into some snags.

-------------------

That said, I'm very happy with it so far. Looking over the scenarios, they seem quite varied in number of APs, size of the board, and objectives, and I'm excited to try out the 4 player scenarios at some point in time. The heroes are nice sculpts, although they are more cartoony than previous units (more exaggerated features, like long, impossibly skinny, legs) but they are fun and I'm looking forward to using them.

Despite my qualms above, the buildings are pretty darn cool, and will get a lot of use in Dust Tactics, as well as Dust Warfare when it comes out. I could see myself buying a second Cerberus set to expand my building-making capabilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Flight
United States
Boulder
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I ordered mine based on the feedback above. Really appreciate all of your thoughts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wille Fisch
Sweden
Huddinge
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I have been having my eye on this one since i learned what Dust Tactics is.

From what i can see the 3D building looks awesome and seems to be working pretty good.

My question is: how are the scenarios? Do they utilize the building in a good way? or is it just "a house in the middle of the battlefield"

One thing that bugs me a bit (and some other expannsions too) is
that the units/heroes are just a tad too silly and cartoony.
I mean - i have an army of die hard marines and soliders and among them...an italian chef with a chefshat and flamethowers!! (and zombies, werewolves etc)

I am not sure what to do - should i buy this expanssion and jsut ignore the chef or should i just buy the Warzone tenement but then loose access to the scenarios?

What do you suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fisch wrote:

My question is: how are the scenarios? Do they utilize the building in a good way? or is it just "a house in the middle of the battlefield"

There are a couple scenarios that involve getting to the top of the building - encourages fights in the buildings and moving from floor to floor. Other ones have the building in the centre, where you will need to move through the building or into the building to get your objective. The scenarios are reasonably good - the 4 player one is a lot of fun especially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.