NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Magus And Princess wrote:
A little note. This(along with one for No Thanks!) are the first reviews my wife and I have done! I would greatly appreciate any feedback that people have! I do not mind negative feedback what so ever either as long as its constructive!

I liked the format quite a bit! As someone who's wife is a primary member in their gaming group, seeing the perspectives of both you and her was very welcomed. The likes vs dislikes were clear and the review formatting was good as well. Keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I actually just picked up your game nightfall a few days ago!

Excellent!

I imagine we will review it in the next month or so Hopefully we can be just as kind to you as we were to Dungeon Run!

That'd certainly be nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
A little note. This(along with one for No Thanks!) are the first reviews my wife and I have done! I would greatly appreciate any feedback that people have! I do not mind negative feedback what so ever either as long as its constructive!

I thought this was a fantastic and fun format for a review. The bolds helped me skim (I already have the game and my own opinions, it was nice to be able to see how your impressions compared to mine).

Thanks for the time and effort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you care to expound any on the variants you implemented and why? Or did you already mention them in the review above?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the husband&wife combo. Also, we get to see whether games reviewed are wife friendly, or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
we get to see whether games reviewed are wife friendly, or not.

Do we? She says she loves Summoner Wars. That is NOT my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
we get to see whether games reviewed are wife friendly, or not.

Do we? She says she loves Summoner Wars. That is NOT my wife.

My wife(and I for that matter) is a mid range board gamer. She does not get in to big hardcore strategic games or things that last for hours on end but she loves stuff like Summoner Wars, Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, Small World and now Dungeon Run that I consider mid level games. She dips her toe in to the deep end now and then but so far has either disliked the really big games like Mansions of Madness(which we just played for the first time the other day and she wants to give a second shot before writing it off)or like in Agricolas case is just ok with them but feels they go on way too long and are too hard to compete with me in.

I think she is a bit more hardcore then a lot of guys wives, but hardly is interested in swimming in the deep end of the pool.

That sounds like my wife as far as how long she wants to play and how complex she wants to deal with but all of that goes right out the door when you're talking direct confrontation. She'd never play Summoner Wars. We're talking about someone who was mad at me because I bought a Militia card in Dominion and it kept hitting her. Nowadays she wouldn't bat an eye at that Militia (she loves Dominion), but the very IDEA of directly attacking someone puts her hair on end.

But we digress. It IS still interesting to see both of your points of view and knowing where you're coming from helps "interpret" your opinions. Keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
We're talking about someone who was mad at me because I bought a Militia card in Dominion and it kept hitting her.

Our wives could be friends... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bijan Ajamlou
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haha that sums up how most girls i played dominion whit react. But I managed to get my girlfriend like direct conflict (but when we play whit her other girlfriends they get into a collective "be nice mode" and collectively ignores attack cards and if any of us guys taces one up we are given glares) The same happens when we play Talisman and a pc is attacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
joshsmith80 wrote:
Thanks for your views Magus. I think I will go with Dungeon Run first. You have sold me on the whole backstabbing thing. I love A Game of Thrones the boardgame particularly when everyone is texting one another for alliances lol! Has your wives played Merchants & Marauders with you before? The is nothing better than sinking your wife's brand new ship! sleeping on the couch.

Fixed that one for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your review format. I look forward to more, I would like to see the same for Summoner Wars with it being your favorite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On The Wagon!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
My girl has killed me twice ( both games we played ) with Stabbins !

Great game.

Nice Review.

Welcome to BGG !

P.S. - I came to this review via your thread about LoD vs. Dungeon Run and was glad to see you picked up this game. I agree that if/when they decide to throw some expansions into the mix, this game will be even better - can't wait !

Also - for your future purchases - look into Talisman - I got a Black Industries version through a Math Trade and, while we have not played yet, I have read through the rules 3 times. It really has many similarities to Dungeon Run ( or vice-versa ) and I think you may enjoy it as well - Talisman seems to be a "bigger" game - more going on. Also if you have the more recent version, there is apparently a ton of expansions. The version I have requires an "upgrade" pack in order to use those expansions. Anyhow FWIW, there's that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my gf will play games with me, and really likes Race for the Galaxy. I was excited to try out Summoner Wars for her, anticipating all the fun variety of matchups that would ensue....it was a total frustrating flop to her. my dudes killing her dudes and having to puzzle out future possibilities of turns? she dubbed that a "boy game". sigh. Dungeon Run would get even less love i expect, stabbins indeed.

i dont do Ameritrash or backstab much, but the SW tie in and elegant mechanics has me interested in DUngeon RUn. a buddy picked it up, so while i dont expect it in my collection, im looking forward to trying it out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed your review. My wife is my gaming partner. She told me to order Dungeon Run after watching a video review. You discuss a weak ending to the game with 2. We are not hard core gamers and enjoy kicking the snot out of each other (she kicks harder).

To put you on the spot, do you have a feeling we would enjoy this? (difficult questions department)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I enjoyed your review. My wife is my gaming partner. She told me to order Dungeon Run after watching a video review. You discuss a weak ending to the game with 2. We are not hard core gamers and enjoy kicking the snot out of each other (she kicks harder).

To put you on the spot, do you have a feeling we would enjoy this? (difficult questions department)

Do you ever get to play with more then 2 players? If so even for those rare occasion we would give it a strong recommendation. If not well I still say it is worth the purchase, you just have to go in to it knowing that the end may be a bit weaker. Thing is that first off we find it to be a fun enough game that even if the end is a bit weak we still enjoy it. Besides that though the end CAN be fun sometimes, we just find that more often then not it seems like one person is either vastly more powerful or that someone gets weakened by killing the end boss and then the other person wipes them out.

Another quick note would be that while we have not done it I see no reason why you could not play it as a 2 person controlling 2 characters game. The reason the end game is weak is because its 1 on 1 and if 1 person has 1 very strong character then you stand no chance. So if you played the game where your wife played 2 characters and you played 2 characters I imagine that in most situations it would reduce the problems of the 2 player end game greatly.

So yeah I say its still worth it, just go in to it recognizing that you may need to tweek the game a bit to get it to be ideal for your situation. We find that we had enough fun with it to make it worth the time it takes to make the game fit your situation(and really that's not much time at all).

As if I needed a reason to order another game. devil

Thanks. I haven't ordered it but will now. Keep the reviews coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Anthony
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
I really like the husband&wife combo. Also, we get to see whether games reviewed are wife friendly, or not.

Ditto. I definitely like the format

I haven't played it yet, but other reviews mention that the game works best with 3 or more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Morasse
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading your pros and cons for DR I think you and your wife should check out Claustrophobia. It's an awesome 2 players dungeon crawler with interesting and fresh dice mechanics. My wife really enjoy playing as the demons and beating the crap out of me. Great review by the way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Platy Hiker
msg tools
mbmb
while we have not done it I see no reason why you could not play it as a 2 person controlling 2 characters game. The reason the end game is weak is because its 1 on 1 and if 1 person has 1 very strong character then you stand no chance. So if you played the game where your wife played 2 characters and you played 2 characters I imagine that in most situations it would reduce the problems of the 2 player end game greatly.

My husband and I have played it that way and found it quite fun. The only down side, it's a little trickier to keep track of the all the assets of each character when you're moving back and forth between two characters (e.g. this weapon adds this bonus to your attack, this ability adds this other dynamic to your attack, this armor gives a certain protection, and you have the option of a cool special action via an ability card - now remember to factor them all in appropriately on each turn). A smidge tricky, but we managed it without too many mistakes (although we did the occasional back-up and re-play something when we noticed that we missed an important option, but we were still learning the game). The end game was pretty interesting, until the boss hero got a bit ahead of the other heroes and was hard to catch up to and engage in battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.