Popular Tags: [View All]
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
A way to make the game easier when playing with fewer heroes, such as in a 2-player game where the player play a single hero each, is to allow the players to pick their starting hand of cards. You may restrict this to only picking 1, 2, 3, or all 4 cards based on the skill of the players.

I'd love to hear of someone who can defeat a villain with just a single hero if he gets to pick his starting hand of 4 cards.

Another alternative to giving fewer heroes a better chance of success is allowing each hero to start with a few ongoing or equipment cards already in play, either drawn at random or selected by the players prior to the start of the game.

I would love to hear feedback on these ideas, especially if you have tried them out in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ouimet
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not tried the above, but the few times I played less than 4 heroes, the problem was always limited damage potential.

So I tried dividing the villain and environment hit points by 4 and then multiplying by the number of heroes.

Tried 4 games and it does seem to help a bit. Got 2 wins out of 4 with 2 heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also heard of people using Incapacitated Heroes to supplement the rest of the team. So if you wanted to "solo" a Villain you could add 2-4 Incapacitated Heroes to the team to give you a little extra boost (though I feel you would still probably lose).

I've tried playing 2 heroes taking 2 turns each and that seemed to work decently well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it seems to me that the obvious way to make this game easier for less-than-four players is to always play four player turns between each villain and environment phase.. so in a three player game we play:

Villain
Player 1
Player 2
Player 3
Player 1
Environment
Villain
Player 2
Player 3
Player 1
Player 2
Environment

and so on..

we've played this way once and it seemed to work well - we simply used a token to remember who was the "start player" each round and the round ended after that player played a second turn and passed on the token to the next player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty spiffy suggestion, Andrew -- keep us updated on how this continues to play out, balance-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
freelunch wrote:
it seems to me that the obvious way to make this game easier for less-than-four players is to always play four player turns between each villain and environment phase.

Yeah this should give a big leg up to the heroes. However, for some heroes and villain combos, this will give too large an advantage to the heroes. The thing I like about picking (or drafting) starting hands, is that it's just a small tweak and still will give you quite a challenge, while not wiping you off the mat immediately with poor initial card draws. Your idea is good though Andrew and for the tougher villains it may be the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
foxtrot2620 wrote:
I've also heard of people using Incapacitated Heroes to supplement the rest of the team. So if you wanted to "solo" a Villain you could add 2-4 Incapacitated Heroes to the team to give you a little extra boost (though I feel you would still probably lose).

Yeah Erik this is a great way to go, I tried it myself this morning and it seems to work very well.

foxtrot2620 wrote:
I've tried playing 2 heroes taking 2 turns each and that seemed to work decently well.

This is in line with what Alexander also outlined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.